Author Topic: CZ 455 FS Skinner Peep Sight, Which front sight to use?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline BlitzPig

CZ 455 FS Skinner Peep Sight, Which front sight to use?
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »
The thread title pretty much says it all.

I just received a Skinner Sights rear peep sight for my 455 full stock (.22 long rifle), and it's obvious that I'm going to need a taller front sight.

Can anyone recommend a front sight of the appropriate height that will work with the Skinner rear peep?

I did try using the search function, but my search karma must not be very strong tonight.

Thank you for your help.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline painter

Re: CZ 455 FS Skinner Peep Sight, Which front sight to use?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 07:17:59 AM »
How much too high is it hitting?

CZ sells sights... http://shop.cz-usa.com/cz-products/rifles/sights/rimfire

Theis Brownells calculator will help determine what you need... http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/Sight_Correction_Calculator/detail.htm?lid=13093
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
Have not been to the range yet, so no idea how high it will shoot, but simply by laying a straight edge from the top of the front sight across the top of the stock rear sight and then on past the new peep tells me it will be shooting high.

I Just thought that someone may have already walked this ground and could point me in the right direction.   I did order the tallest factory front sight from CZ in any case.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »
You can always file it down if too tall.

but not the ability.

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
That's the plan.

;)

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 12:50:43 PM »
Sounds like a good one. ;D

The front sight ramp adds to the adjustability of the system.

but not the ability.

Offline handgun2

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »
Blitz, 
I am highly interested in your testing the sights at say 25 and 50 yds.  Aim as usual, and note the high/low impact sight please!  dont' forget in the equation involved.  Their is more than just the height of front sight to back sight... it kinda relative to a good cheek weld and standard hold/shoot/POI scenario! 
respectfully,
Please advise all of us of your findings... and don't adjust your hold!  please shoot to POA,, and at each yardage above tell us the POI! 

thanks so very much!
K in MI

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »
Received the No.3 front sight blade from CZ USA during the week, so I installed it yesterday and took my 455 full stock to the range this afternoon.

This is an indoor range, so I am limited to 25 yards, but it is still possible to get a good base zero for longer ranges, as you all know.

Here is the first target shot.

Both 5 shot groups were shot using a six o'clock hold on the black bull at 25 yards.

The upper group was the first one shot.  The front sight blade was positioned were the factory No. 2 blade was.

The lower group was the second string of 5 shots fired after I moved the new No. 3 blade to the highest position on the front ramp.

Bingo.   All variations left to right or up and down are entirely due to me and my 62 year old eyes.  I was bracing on the shelf in my firing lane, and tried as best I could to keep a repeated position and cheek weld.   I will say that the peep makes sight alignment much easier, and faster for me, as that is what I am used to from my days of shooting in service rifle competition with the M1 Garand and AR 15.

That group height above POA should give a good zero out to 50 yards or so.

Both groups were fired using SK Standard + .22LR ammo.  I fired subsequent groups with Norma-USA "Tac-22" rounds. (R in shield headstamp) and the groups tightened up a little bit.
So far these are the best loads I have shot out of my 455.   CCI Stardard and CCI Green Tag were only so-so.

Offline 2bytandem

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 09:06:41 PM »
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk