Author Topic: Help! How do I remove this barrel bushing? Very lost.  (Read 11204 times)

Offline cobrajunkie

Re: Help! How do I remove this barrel bushing? Very lost.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 10:45:41 AM »
I can't get mine to budge. I've read all the posts here and elsewhere.  I've frozen and heated with heat gun, used penetrating oil and whacked it with a BFH. I've got a heavy duty vise with wood to hold secure but no luck.  Shot 200 rounds at the range without the sight pin installed and still nothing.   

I had a stubborn one too. I just vised it up, dropped in the 11mm socket and kept knocking the hell out of it and it came out. If you have it securely mounted in the vise and you hit it hard enough it will come loose. The OEM bushing is fairly soft and once it moves the first time it will fall out as long as the cross pin is removed and the set screw is backed out if you have a CGW or Dawson front sight. Send it to me with the bushing, I will get it out and install the bushing for you for free.

Thank you SO much SP01SHADOW for the generous offer.  I feel like if I whack any harder, I'm gonna break or mar something.  I'm leaving for work but taking the slide and new bushing with me and will mail when I get to my destination and have your address.  I'll have to put up with the withdraw symptoms until I get it back.   ;)  I'll assume you don't need the barrel unless you tell me otherwise. THANK YOU!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:52:14 AM by cobrajunkie »

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »
I will do a one day turn around. I sent you a PM.
    Just another reason I love this forum.
   Way to go SP01SHADOW.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline cobrajunkie

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 03:20:57 PM »
You ROCK!   Thank you SP01SHADOW.  Just my luck to get the problem child of the bunch so THANK YOU for making it right.  Forever in your debt.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
SPO1,  shooters  are good people.  You  add  proof to my statement.

Offline cobrajunkie

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »

Looks like you got the new G10 thin bogies.  I just put the palm swells on before I hit the road.  Like the way they feel but haven't shot.

Offline Exiledviking

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 05:45:25 PM »
Yes, the fellow CZ shooters here on this forum are by far the nicest crew I've encountered on any forum over the last 12 years. Glad to be part of this forum.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 08:16:51 PM »
Good thread. I almost never use tape.... I need to start using more tape.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 08:22:58 PM »
I have been the recipient of goodwill from SP01SHADOW and from several others on this forum. There are some very high quality people here. Good stuff!

Offline coolbox

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 12:16:52 AM »
Excellent gesture SP01Shadow. And good work too.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline cobrajunkie

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »
Just an update for y'all.  Home from a road trip and found a box waiting for me in the garage from SPO1SHADOW.  Fit's like a glove and a bonus new fiber stick installed.  Awesome job SPO1SHADOW.  Will shoot this weekend and report back.  I'm stoked!  Also mounted some G10 swells.  Nice work!!

New LOK G10 Palm Swells

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 10:46:29 PM »
Want to trade the "left" G10 for a "left"  thin aluminum grip?  O0

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 02:58:36 AM »
Aww you guys are so cute. Glad the op found a viable option!  How'd it end fellas? Shadow did ya get it out? Lol (of course he got it out) mine took a minute a 22 seconds. It took so long because the muzzle of the gun I'm working on had been beaten in with something. Like the front sight was seriously just beat the heck in there and the pin and bushing were so jacked up from the frontal assault that the metal was all mushed up. Which is why I just put the sucker on the edge of a 2X4 and whacked I with a 1/4" 11mm socket and two 1/4" extensions (3" and 6") it started to move when the rusted beat in metal around the muzzle started to get pushed back out? Lol sounds worse than it looked. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline exit plan

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
I am constantly surprised by the people on this forum. Very good resource!
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 01:15:52 AM »
Just posting my experience and bringing this up from the dead in case some poor guy is searching how to do this at midnight like I was.

I've done this 3 times before but forgot the details and struggled until I remembered... So here are my hints.

Several of the 3 were extremely difficult to remove.

Pre-work - remove the front sight roll pin.

Stuff you'll need:
*  Get an 11mm socket with a 1/4 drive (that's the small square drive). The reason for this specific size is that it is small enough to pass through the slide but will get caught in the barrel bushing. The purpose is to knock the bushing out of the front of the slide using the socket as your contact point. (See pic #1. The socket just barely fits inside the bushing)

*  Get some 1/4 extensions. You'll need at least 6 inches. I recommend 12 to 16 so it sticks way out of the gun and you don't stand a chance to whack the slide with a hammer as you start pounding away. (See pic #4 for why you need the length)

*  Get a heavy hammer. Not a gunsmithing hammer. One for pounding nails or larger if you have a difficult bushing.

*  Take a piece of wood (a 2x4 is fine) and drill a 3/4 hole through it. You'll hold the slide vertically against this piece of wood as you knock the bushing out. The hole is for the bushing to pass into it. It also protects the finish of the slide.

Steps:
1. Insert the socket into the slide with the square side TOWARDS the muzzle. The large open cavity of the socket should face the rear of the slide. You do this because the extensions you insert can go in at a greater angle so your extension doesn't touch the slide and cause damage.

2. Insert the extensions into the socket from the rear of the slide towards the front.

3. IMPORTANT : put the wood on a hard surface. This is where I forgot and it took me 45 min to remember. I was banging away on my solid wood workbench making zero progress. The bench absorbed too much of the impact. I moved my block to the concrete floor or my basement and I had the bushing out in 30 seconds.

4. Place the bushing over the hole that you cut in your piece if wood. Support the slide vertically. Also hold the  extensions in the same hand

9. Take your big hammer and hit the top of the extensions. Try and take up all the slack in the extensions before you hit it. You don't want things to jump around once you make contact.

You may need some serious whacks to get your bushing out. No seriously. If yours is in there tight it'll take some force.

The biggest factors for me in doing this successfully are:

1. Block of wood with 3/4" hole
2. Putting the block on concrete
3. Putting the socket with the drive side down towards the muzzle.

Good luck.
Here is how the extension and socket should be set up (with the socket essentially upside down)

The hole in the wood

The slide covering the hole with the bushing ready to drop into it

Ready to whack
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:25:06 AM by Underwhere »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 05:44:22 AM »
Manufacturing tolerances.

I've replaced three of them now.  I could hold the slide in my left hand and whack the extension with the hammer in my right hand and the bushing just started to move after 2 or 3 hits.  On one of them, I just (easily) pushed the new bushing into the slide.  Another went almost all the way in with finger/hand pressure and only had to be tapped once with the soft faced hammer.  Only one required a solid surface (board on the kitchen table) to drive out.

Funny how parts made in the same place can vary so much - but that's the real world.

On the other hand, one of the best shooting CZ 75's we have is a Compact with the original barrel/bushing in it.  Haven't measure it, but it must be "nice and tight" (well matched for barrel OD and bushing ID).  It was used when I bought it.  Some body made a mistake getting rid of that one (the one I bought for myself and my wife ended up with it after she shot it and wanted to know why it shot better groups than her fancy CZ 75 Compact).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?