Author Topic: STRIPPING POLYCOAT & GUN BUILD  (Read 34942 times)

SPO1SHADOW

Re: STRIPPING POLYCOAT & GUN BUILD
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2016, 05:43:33 PM »
Just waiting on LOK to let me know the grips are done. It should be in the next few days. He is going to offer these Shadow style grips as a standard item once he gets them started. My small contribution to the hobby we all love.

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2016, 12:40:53 AM »
What type of prep would you recommend for an alloy framed p-01 (compact d)? I've got the frame completely stripped of parts and oils. I ran it through my ultrasonic to remove all the last bits of grease and such with some of the HD Simple green that I use on all my other weapons parts. It came out squeaky clean, but I still have a damaged polycoat and some nice scratches and gouges to attend to. Is the chemical process for removing the poly on the aluminum frames frowned upon? I don't want to pay a shop for media blast until the frame is ready for final stuff. I am going to break all the edges and clean up some of the curves as well as blend all the damage until it's nearly invisible. What do you think I can do with chemicals before I go to a beadblast pro? Thanks
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline copemech

« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:33 AM »
The aircraft stripper will work fine on alloy. Any auto parts store.
Although you may not require a total strip. These things can be sanded out and refinished using duracoat and others on a working gun. Pretty tough stuff and the polycoat makes a good basecoat.
Just say'n.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2016, 05:35:59 PM »
Shadow style Bogies are now available from LOK grips.

http://lokgrips.com/gun-grips/cz-75/thin/bogies/black-g10/

bluedev84

« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2016, 07:06:57 PM »
Is there a way to get a more brown-ish tint.....I've read up some on the process and some say that sometimes "something" in the water being used will give it a more brown-ish tint versus using distilled water which gives the resulting finish a darker gray or more black-ish tint.  Any experience or suggestions.....could the "something" be more minerals??? Just looking for a best guess here.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »
The aircraft stripper will work fine on alloy. Any auto parts store.
Although you may not require a total strip. These things can be sanded out and refinished using duracoat and others on a working gun. Pretty tough stuff and the polycoat makes a good basecoat.
Just say'n.

I was thinking that way also. I was going to do the frame anodized, and soak in some light brown dye... I was going to run it through beadblast before that, after my sanding and grinding... Now that I really think about it, I'm just going to Cerekote it instead of anodize because I really don't see why I am going to put myself through that headache with pcb board paint and blocking off all the rails and pin holes and then being worried about losing too much material. I've been anodizing for a while, but nothing as intricate as a frame. Mostly rails and small parts. Titanium is super easy, but the steps really multiply when aluminum comes into play. Cerekote it is. Now I need to find the color match I'm looking for. Ok so no stripping required, not gonna need a bead blast either. You talked me out of it. Lol

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2016, 08:16:05 PM »
Is there a way to get a more brown-ish tint.....I've read up some on the process and some say that sometimes "something" in the water being used will give it a more brown-ish tint versus using distilled water which gives the resulting finish a darker gray or more black-ish tint.  Any experience or suggestions.....could the "something" be more minerals??? Just looking for a best guess here.

If you want it slick and brown don't boil it at all. Just rust and card and there you are. The odd looking colors in rust bluing, if you do boil it, come from minerals and contaminates in the water.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:12:01 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2016, 09:04:55 PM »
When rust bluing and boiling how can you get a consistent color? Distilled water or something else?
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
Yes, distilled water in an absolutely clean stainless or aluminum pot.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2016, 10:41:02 PM »
After looking at the cerakote website holy mackerel. Every color in the rainbow.
Has anyone done cerakote clear coat over a highly polished slide?
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »
I received the first 2 sets made of the Shadow Style LOK Bogies today. These are by far the most aggressive grips you could put on a gun. It makes the "Lemon Graters" feel tame. Now I am finished with my Son's gun.

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2016, 06:13:47 PM »
Stunning all around!

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2016, 06:48:06 PM »
Thanks!

Offline viking499

« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
That turned out very nice.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2016, 09:49:32 PM »
Say, that looks pretty sharp with the lighter tinge of orange than the other grips. It matches the 'browning' on the frame really nice. Do you need to take some fine grit to the grips or you think they won't cut the skin much?