Author Topic: CZ-83 hammer spacing  (Read 2167 times)

Offline reds

CZ-83 hammer spacing
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:37:22 AM »
All - I just purchased a '91 CZ-83 in pristine condition and have not taken it to the range yet. While checking out the gun, I noticed that when the gun is empty and with the hammer down, there is a gap approx.063 in between the face of the hammer and the end of the firing pin. When viewed from the top of the slide, it seems that the hammer has a "notch" that should fit over a part, (automatic safety? shown in the illustrated parts list ).
Is this "gap" normal for this gun? Or should it be taken to a gunsmith for repair.

Offline derweibhai

Re: CZ-83 hammer spacing
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 12:51:24 AM »
It's normal, don't worry about it.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:15:57 AM »
The gap is a "safety" feature so the hammer does not rest on the firing pin. Once the hammer is cocked and the trigger pulled it moves forward and its momentum will allow it to hit the firing pin.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline eastman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »
The technical term for this is a "rebounding hammer".
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline il.bill

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
Everyone's replies were right on - that is normal.  When you dry fire the CZ82/83, the hammer strikes the firing pin and rebounds, too fast to see with the naked eye.

I perform a 'function test' upon re-assembling the pistol after a detail strip and thorough cleaning.  That test includes putting a wooden pencil or chopstick down the barrel of an unloaded gun, and pulling the trigger with the muzzle pointed straight up while standing outside.  It is surprising how high that stick of wood will fly when the hammer hits the firing pin!

Offline tpelle

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 06:11:12 PM »
Everyone's replies were right on - that is normal.  When you dry fire the CZ82/83, the hammer strikes the firing pin and rebounds, too fast to see with the naked eye.

I perform a 'function test' upon re-assembling the pistol after a detail strip and thorough cleaning.  That test includes putting a wooden pencil or chopstick down the barrel of an unloaded gun, and pulling the trigger with the muzzle pointed straight up while standing outside.  It is surprising how high that stick of wood will fly when the hammer hits the firing pin!

I do the same thing, but I do it inside with the pistol pointed up and at a rag held about a foot in front of the muzzle.  I'm too lazy to have to retrieve the pencil outside.  Best to use a new and unsharpened pencil if you do it inside and omit the rag.  I guess, if your ninja-foo is really strong, you can omit the rag and just grab the pencil as it flys out...........