Author Topic: How to tell you're ready for USPSA?  (Read 5402 times)

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: How to tell you're ready for USPSA?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 12:27:52 PM »
I've swapped out the disco and hammer which takes me out of production I believe. I also assumed 9mm in Limited wasn't competitive because of minor factor?

Offline MontanaCZ

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
Depending on the hammer "profile", it *may* take it out of Production.  You can get "Production" profile race hammers.

As for 9mm in Limited not being competitive, I call that "hogwash"! Competitive being the operative key word. If you shoot all "A" zone hits, you would be scored the same as major. It is hits outside the A zone where you can lose points. However, if you shoot minor better and faster, and get A hits, your score is just as good. I shoot minor in Limited and strive for 90% A hits (which you should do anyway). Just my opinion though. I mainly shoot USPSA as extra practice for 3Gun..  :D

As for what constitutes being ready to compete?  Last year my 40 something g/f decided that what I was doing looked like fun, and wanted to try it out. She was a complete newbie; a non-shooter. I did some training with her, and she attended a clinic that our club put on for new shooters. I told her repeatedly to just focus on safety, the rest would follow. Our 3Gun match director was happy to see her come, and offered her a slot to a Night 3Gun if she wanted it. She accepted, and her first match was that one. Yep, she came in last place, and did so for half the season. Absolutely hooked on 3Gun, although we mix in other matches too. Now she is a regular, an ambassador, plus has helped other women feel comfortable enough to start.  When she started, her father told her "girls don't shoot guns, etc..", but now is a big advocate for her after watching video that I took. Then he said she could not do long range with a rifle.. this weekend she hit an 8"x8" plate at 325yds on her second shot in a side wind with 55gr bullets.  Should I mention that she bought a hunting license for the first time this year?

Just do it, with whatever you have.  Focus on safety first. I drilled her on trigger finger out of the guard while moving, slow draws, and slow reloads.  Once she had that down, the rest fell into place.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 02:22:31 PM »
Hmm, okay. I wasn't aware of that. I need to get some actual USPSA style targets so I can see how my aim is since right now I'm using those 5 target papers right now. I would love to do 3 gun, but I don't have anywhere near enough money for that :P I do have the CGW hammer though so I don't believe I'm allowed to shoot in production.

I think I'm about to place an order for a belt, Ghost Stinger holster, and 5 Ghost 360 pouches so I can at least practice at home. I've gotta work on the trigger finger out of the guard during reloads, and I've never really practiced on the move, nowhere to practice that unfortunately.

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
Hmm, okay. I wasn't aware of that. I need to get some actual USPSA style targets so I can see how my aim is since right now I'm using those 5 target papers right now. I would love to do 3 gun, but I don't have anywhere near enough money for that :P I do have the CGW hammer though so I don't believe I'm allowed to shoot in production.

I think I'm about to place an order for a belt, Ghost Stinger holster, and 5 Ghost 360 pouches so I can at least practice at home. I've gotta work on the trigger finger out of the guard during reloads, and I've never really practiced on the move, nowhere to practice that unfortunately.

You are over thinking it.   Don't sweat the movement.
Get comfortable with USPSA before going to 3 gun.   My first match was 3 gun and I almost quit right there.   Loading a shotgun on the clock sucks.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline motosapiens

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 04:17:19 PM »

do you not have a house, or garage, or basement, or fenced yard?

draws, reloads, and movement skills are things that are best practiced in dry-fire. This time of year I alternate between the front room (by the air conditioner) and the back yard.

You will probably learn the most about uspsa most quickly by attending a match.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 04:43:46 PM »
Nope. I have a separate garage which is exposed to the outside.

Good to hear that draws and reloads are best practiced in dry-fire though! I may just start doing movements in the gym while holding like a 2.5 lb weight or something.

I've got a question now about gear... is it really necessary to get 5 mag pouches? It seems like the purpose of that 5th mag pouch is purely just for holding your first mag. I can either get 5 Ghost 360 mag pouches or 4 DAA Racers (which I hear are better) and just carry the first mag in my pocket.

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 09:08:58 PM »
You want to dry fire. Here are some videos that will help you get ready for USPSA
A: 
B: 
C: 
D: 
E: 
F: 
You can get dry fire targets here. http://benstoegerproshop.com/accessories/targets/dry-fire-targets/

Offline Smitty79

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 12:24:59 AM »
Nope. I have a separate garage which is exposed to the outside.

Good to hear that draws and reloads are best practiced in dry-fire though! I may just start doing movements in the gym while holding like a 2.5 lb weight or something.

I've got a question now about gear... is it really necessary to get 5 mag pouches? It seems like the purpose of that 5th mag pouch is purely just for holding your first mag. I can either get 5 Ghost 360 mag pouches or 4 DAA Racers (which I hear are better) and just carry the first mag in my pocket.

I've shot about 30 USPSA matches.    I've probably only needed the 5th mag 4 or 5 times.  I have 5 Ghosts bullets out.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 03:48:32 AM »
Do the Ghosts take as much space as everyone says they do? I'm probably only going to have a 34" belt so I don't have a ton of space which is why I'm leaning towards the DAA Racers.

Offline motosapiens

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 11:45:09 AM »
Do the Ghosts take as much space as everyone says they do? I'm probably only going to have a 34" belt so I don't have a ton of space which is why I'm leaning towards the DAA Racers.

I am in the same boat as you and I found the ghosts took too much room. I use them for my limited rig, and switched to the daa racers for production.

Offline MontanaCZ

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »
CGW does make a Race hammer with a Production profile. All about cosmetics in Production..

In Single Stack and Production, I ran 4 mag holders and the 5th in my pocket. If you do bigger matches you may need that 5th holder.  I have not tried the DAA Racers.  I did switch to the Ghost 360 this season, bullets out, and love them. My g/f uses the same, on her small waist..

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 02:45:49 PM »
Haha, based on what I've read here.. the only person that would know if you were using a CGW race hammer would be yourself.

Wouldn't using a fitted disconnector take me out of production too though? Maybe I am simply not understanding the rules correctly. I assumed all production guns need to essentially come from the factory (CZ USA or CZC) and that's that. You could change sights and the bushing but nothing else.

My local USPSA flyer actually only says to bring 3 mags so it appears it is a small course. I believe it is indoors. It's certainly interesting to hear that your g/f doesn't have an issue with the ghost mag pouches though since her waist is probably far smaller than all the guys complaining. I'm still waiting to hear back from the club if I can shoot at the club or not since I am a nonresident and can't get a FOID card. Hopefully it won't be an issue. You guys aren't making the mag pouch choice any easier :P
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:57:07 PM by SlvrDragon50 »

Offline Smitty79

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 08:41:59 PM »
Wouldn't using a fitted disconnector take me out of production too though? Maybe I am simply not understanding the rules correctly. I assumed all production guns need to essentially come from the factory (CZ USA or CZC) and that's that. You could change sights and the bushing but nothing else.

Anything, other than sights, that is externally visible can kick you out of Production.   Internal parts are fine.   IPSC is much more limiting.

Offline newrival

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »

http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf

Page 79 - Production (this will tell you just about everything illegal/not illegal)
TLDR: In Production, you can modify just about any internals, as long as it cannot be seen from the outside or in battery Essentially, the look from the outside must be identical, if not VERY similar, to the stock. Some aftermarket grips are legal, some are not.

Can someone link me the Production legal CGW Race Hammer?
CZ SP-01 fam

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 12:23:22 AM »
Oh wow, that is absolutely awesome to hear. Guess I will run my CZ85C. It makes sense though, can't expect them to tear into every gun to make sure it's stock.

I'm just about set on my gear. I think I will get the four DAA racer pouches, a shooters connection belt, and a ghost stinger holster. I spoke to the range, and they said 5 mags should be plenty.

anything