Author Topic: How to tell you're ready for USPSA?  (Read 8719 times)

Offline SlvrDragon50

How to tell you're ready for USPSA?
« on: July 24, 2016, 02:03:39 PM »
So I'm starting to look into USPSA more since it's an hour away from me; however, since it is an hour away, I don't really want to go too soon and just throw away money on ammo and time.

I've read that USPSA targets are typically 7-20 yards? Is that correct?

I find that I have trouble hitting targets consistently at 10 yards in a static position so I don't think I'm ready to shoot USPSA yet. Is there a certain grouping size that I should hope to attain before being ready for USPSA?

Offline Rhino

Re: How to tell you're ready for USPSA?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »
Like Nike says just do it. Go out to train and have fun and talk to like minded folks.

Offline LMS

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 07:12:13 PM »
If you are thinking about it, you're ready.   I just started about 4 months ago and it has really been fun.  Everyone is super nice to the newbies, giving advice on how to be safe, get better, and how to not screw up.   I've never felt like I didn't belong or was an outsider.    Just tell the RO it's your first time and they'll give you some extra attention.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 07:48:09 PM »
When you do get up and go,  remember your statement about " the fear you'll waste time and ammo".
 ;D You're going to want to "waste" a lot more time and ammo,  starting at the end of the last stage. O0
Shooters are good people.  You'll really enjoy the shooting and the shooters.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:38:00 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »
You are ready for USPSA if you know the safety rules, can follow the commands, load and holster your gun safety, walk from firing position to firing position safely and reload your gun without point it in the wrong direction.   The targets are pretty big.   If you are safe, go shoot.

Look at some of the early videos here:

http://www.powerfactorshow.com/

Contact the local club.   They may have a class.   The Section I shoot in has a class.

Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline ThompsonCustom

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »
If you are thinking about it, you're ready.   I just started about 4 months ago and it has really been fun.  Everyone is super nice to the newbies, giving advice on how to be safe, get better, and how to not screw up.   I've never felt like I didn't belong or was an outsider.    Just tell the RO it's your first time and they'll give you some extra attention.

I to started this year and after my first match I remember thinking I wish I would have came sooner.

My experience was just like LMS's everyone was super nice and helpful on the rules and how to improve if you asked.
www.AerospaceArms.com Current Deals:
Faxon 16" Pencil Barrel $148
21% off all magpul products code: "magpul"

Offline newrival

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:27:25 PM »
This is how I exactly feel! I've read the rulebooks, but still nervous about the procedures they require you to do.
I have two nearby clubs (20mins away) that hold matches every Sunday morning, (one from World Champion Jojo Vidanes)
I definitely want to try competition shooting within a couple of months. I've been looking at many MANY equipment that others have recommended. I have essentially decided on either the CR Speed belts, or the Black Scorpion belts. The pouches shouldn't matter that much, although what do you guys recommend? Also, I have an SP-01, but I've been looking at BladeTech for its holsters.

I'm in the state of California, and the two nearby clubs have IPSC in their names. I understand that IPSC is an International Org while USPSA is the US's version of IPSC.
So should I be reading USPSA's rulebook and not IPSC?
CZ SP-01 fam

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 09:01:59 PM »
If I had a club 20 mins away I would definitely go! 2 hours of traveling is quite a bit of time for me though.

I don't have all the gear yet so it'll be a while before I can shoot. I'm still waiting for some mags to pop up for cheap!

I'm just hesitant about going and unloading on a 20 yard target and only hitting it once because my fundamentals are still too weak. I've only got maybe 1200 shots under my belt.

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 10:11:13 PM »
So should I be reading USPSA's rulebook and not IPSC?
Recommend only reading the USPSA rule book unless you plan on competing overseas.

Acknowledge you'll be nervous at your first match, I was. That being said, go and shoot a match, best way to learn. Don't worry about penalties, just focus on safety & enjoying yourself. If your range is like those I frequent, others will gladly share their experiences with you.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline newrival

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 11:23:20 PM »
If I had a club 20 mins away I would definitely go! 2 hours of traveling is quite a bit of time for me though.
I don't have all the gear yet so it'll be a while before I can shoot. I'm still waiting for some mags to pop up for cheap!
I'm just hesitant about going and unloading on a 20 yard target and only hitting it once because my fundamentals are still too weak. I've only got maybe 1200 shots under my belt.

You're in the same boat as me. If I may ask, where are you located Slvr?
Yea, surprisingly, there's alot of clubs in a SoCal in a very liberal state.
I have maybe ~600 rounds in my SP-01 that I purchased in April. My fundamentals are still weak, but I've tried practicing their "get ready, load clear, etc"
Also, what gun do you plan on competing with? I got 3 of greg cote's cz75 mec-gars for 3x $20 which is prob the cheapest around
CZ SP-01 fam

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 12:22:21 AM »
I have a little over a year of shooting USPSA under my belt.  We are a small club, and I RO at most matches.  If I do it, ANYONE can!

The biggest thing to consider is that your first match will be more focused on safety and procedure than actually shooting.  At our matches, we ask new shooters to arrive an hour 1/2 hour before registration (an hour before the match) to do a safety briefing and go over what to expect in a course of fire.  When we begin shooting, we will have new shooters watch a few experienced shooters before letting them go.  We will also coach new shooters the first match.  You will most likely hear "Finger" or "Watch 180" from the RO your first time.

We hook new shooters by offering their first match free.  That way they can get a feeling of if they like the sport or not.  FYI, every new shooter we have had come back for AT LEAST a few matches.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 01:00:39 AM »

You're in the same boat as me. If I may ask, where are you located Slvr?
Yea, surprisingly, there's alot of clubs in a SoCal in a very liberal state.
I have maybe ~600 rounds in my SP-01 that I purchased in April. My fundamentals are still weak, but I've tried practicing their "get ready, load clear, etc"
Also, what gun do you plan on competing with? I got 3 of greg cote's cz75 mec-gars for 3x $20 which is prob the cheapest around

I am in Illinois, but in a college town. Closest USPSA and IDPA club is an hour away in Bloomington. I'm in the middle of the cornfields unfortunately.

I have my CZ85C, but it's pretty heavily modified so I'd probably just shoot just to learn the sport rather than actually competing in open. I think when I choose to get into competition, I'll probably try to get a CZ Shadow or something. The thing that sucks the most for me is that I can't practice holster work at my range which is my hesitation for spending money on a holster right now. I do plan on buying a DAA Pro belt, 5 ghost mag pouches, and probably a Ghost Stinger holster. I want to get some mags too, but they're pricey right now. Waiting for some used ones to pop up here!

That sounds pretty good though james. I'll have to look into the club some more, though it doesn't help that the USPSA matches are on Tuesday night :/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:03:05 AM by SlvrDragon50 »

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 08:29:46 AM »
Contact the local club.    You will probably find someone willing to work with you.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 08:56:13 AM »
I have my CZ85C, but it's pretty heavily modified so I'd probably just shoot just to learn the sport rather than actually competing in open.

Could you describe "heavily modified" for us?  If it is too modified for Production, you could absolutely shoot it in Limited.  You would only have to shoot Open if your gun had a compensator, ports, or 170mm magazines.  That could change your holster options.

Get MecGar magazines here:  http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-mecgar-magazines-base-pads-c-130/ .  MecGar makes factory CZ magazines (and a bunch of others).  They are the same mag CZ wants more money for.  I really like their AFC magazines.

Offline frgood

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 09:33:53 AM »
You are ready for USPSA if you know the safety rules, can follow the commands, load and holster your gun safety, walk from firing position to firing position safely and reload your gun without point it in the wrong direction.   The targets are pretty big.   If you are safe, go shoot.

Look at some of the early videos here:

http://www.powerfactorshow.com/

Contact the local club.   They may have a class.   The Section I shoot in has a class.

This is is probably the best advice. You do not have to memorize the rules. But be aware of the critical safety rules such as following the Range Officer commands and ensuring the gun is pointed down range at all times when not in it's holster.  You are about to meet some of the most fun and helpful people you will ever meet in your life. Just prepare to have a good time.

and smile!!
It all sounded a lot funnier in my head.

anything