Author Topic: Bifocal Safety Glasses with Larger Magnified Area?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline MBeach222

Bifocal Safety Glasses with Larger Magnified Area?
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:28:19 PM »
I'm looking for bifocals that can help me see both sights and targets.  The bifocals I have now include only a small area at the bottom of the lens with magnification.  I'm looking for a larger sized magnification area.  About half the lens would be perfect.  Suggestions?

Offline Tanners Owner

Re: Bifocal Safety Glasses with Larger Magnified Area?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:47:45 PM »
I went a different way. My dominant eye is set for the front sight & my non dominant eye is set for distance. Works for me in my IDPA and USPSA competitions
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »
I can only pass on what works for me.

I bought frames that had fairly big lenses,  so the frames weren't distractors.  I had the optometrist set the bottom lens  to focus at the front sight distance +/- some .    I held my arm and index finger extended out and asked for the focus at that point +
I also had the bottom lens enlarged to almost half of the lens.
The far/upper lens focus is set to infinity.
I can't read fine print with my shooting glasses.  It's definitely worth the cost of a second pair of glasses for me.  Just get two different prescriptions with your eye check-up

Look at the target---top lens.  When the front sight follows your eyes and comes into view,  look at the front sight only.  Trust your dominant eye to keep you on target.  IT WILL.
I don't see or notice any transitition from the two lenses when shooting. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:57:21 PM by 1SOW »

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:16:37 PM »
Kinda like 1, I went with Wire Frames with a large PolyCarb Lens area with "Transition" coating
The major portion of the Lens is my normal, day to day, distance prescription
Had a mid (4' +/-) range prescription ground into the inner, upper corners
Can see the Target and even drive using them and the "BiFocal" sees the Sight Picture

So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline oldfrank

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »
I found this article very informative.  I plan on asking my ophthalmologist to make me up a prescription for shooting bifocals with a spot on my right lens (dominant eye) so that I can keep the front sight in focus.

http://www.sportglasses.com/content/Front_Sight_Blur.htm
CZ24/27/38/40P/45/52, Vzor 50/70,75BΩ,75D Compact,P01/07/09,P10M/S/C/F(9mm,.45), Phantom,SP01 Tactical,Shadow 2 (Blue,Urban Gray), 82/83/85 PreB, 97BE,97BD,97BDE,100,1911A1, 2075D RAMI,452 American,550 Urban Counter Sniper,805 Bren S1,Drake G2,Duo,Z,vz24 8mm Mauser,FK 7.5 BRNO Field Pistol, PSD

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »
It was explained to me by an opthomologist and an optometrist:  1:  as you get older,  your eyes will not transition focus near to far and vice-versa as fast as younger eyes.  2.  The eyes "cannot focus at two distances at the same time".
The eyeglass lenses just need to be easily acquired and provide adequate focus for the two distances involved in each shot,  target and front sight.

Tanners Owner may have another method that works,  but a lot of years of right eye dominance would be difficult for me to change without covering an eye.

Den's method sounds interesting too.

Now let's throw in some movement over uneven terrain,  around obstacles and through ports to spice up the bifocal discussion.  :o O0

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 12:09:18 PM »
Now let's throw in some movement over uneven terrain,  around obstacles and through ports to spice up the bifocal discussion.  :o O0
This is way the majority of the Lens is my DtD Prescription
I can walk around, even drive while wearing these Glasses
The location of the BiFocal doesn't affect normal use
I only use these corners when aiming and taking the shot
Guess I could have gone the extra step, paid a few $$$$s more and had my Reading 'script cut into the bottom too
Maybe next pair    8)
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline patjarrell

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
Duluth trading has safety glasses with top and bottom 1.5x bifocals. I need 1.25x's to focus on front site. They will eventually work, un fortunately !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bgw45

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »
Back in the 90s I had a pair of glasses made up with "occupational" lenses. They had the lenses used to see the sights in the top/upper part of the lenses. The distance lenses were on the  bottom. Didn't help me so I chose to be able to shoot to the center of the blurr. I didn't do well moving between upper and lower lenses. 

Offline dominic135

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 02:46:34 PM »
I've been shooting twice a week for about 8 months now and I'm proud of how good I'm getting @ 5-7 yds! But I'm so limited due to bifocals. I have to choose what to see, the sights or the target. 10 yards is just a crap shoot!
I have an apt this month at the VA and I was going to ask them for contacts (as much as I hate them) so my right eye would be for reading and left for distance.
Sounds like one of your replies said he did the same for glasses. I'm just wondering how hard that would be to adjust to. Does it affect depth perception? Make you dizzy?
Any tips???

Offline dominic135

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 07:22:24 PM »
"I read the replies earlier today and one of them mentioned a "Merit Optical Attachment". Now I can't find it. I wanted to thank the guy for the lead.
This optic can be found on "www.theshootersbox.com" It's a simple device that attaches to your shooting glasses that allows both the sights and the target to be in perfect focus. It's a bit of an optical parlor trick that dates back to the first pin hole cameras in the 19th century.
Supposedly, if you are looking through a narrow aperture, the eye can focus both near and far at the same time. If it works, it will be better than one lens for far, one for close. For that to work you need both eyes focusing which will probably throw your aim off.
I'll invest the $60 and let you know the results.
Whoever put that on the reply... thank you very much! I've been asking every older guy at the range this question and none of them are good fixes! I've been shooting with reading glasses and guessing which blur is the target!

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
"I read the replies earlier today and one of them mentioned a "Merit Optical Attachment". Now I can't find it. I wanted to thank the guy for the lead.

The other (very similar) thread:
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=39006.msg598223#msg598223