Author Topic: CZ 85 Pre-B: Good, better, best?  (Read 3919 times)

Offline hoser

CZ 85 Pre-B: Good, better, best?
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:28:46 PM »
Not experience or knowledge with all the different variations over the years, but have a SP01 and a P01 that are both new to me. Whats the deal with the Pre-B 85's? From what I've found, they don't have the firing block safety but do have ambi safeties compared to modern 75's. How do these compare to the 75's in terms of fit, finish and reliability? Are these more desirable and demand a premium these days?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: CZ 85 Pre-B: Good, better, best?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 08:41:14 PM »
The Pre B CZ 85 also has an ambidextrous slide release set up (levers/releases on both sides of the frame).

There are CZ 75s with ambidextrous safeties.  I just picked up a CZ 75SA (single action only) that has the ambidextrous safeties very similar to the CZ 85's.  It does not have the ambidextrous slide release.  However, if I ever have it refinished I think I'll have the right side hole enlarged and install a right side slide release.  Say right side slide release 3 times real fast.

Some (maybe all??) of the stainless CZ 75's made these days have ambidextrous safeties and with the right grips those are some pretty handguns, too.

The SA does have the firing pin block safety though.

And there is the Omega CZ 75 and the Urban Gray CZ 75, both of those have ambidextrous safeties as well.

I can't say my experience with a Pre B CZ is typical but I've put a lot of money in my Pre B CZ 85 so far.

Just to make me fell better I put new springs and new pins in mine and that cost about $70.

I found the barrel/chamber were pitted pretty bad so that was a new barrel.  Anywhere from $150 to $190 with shipping.

Will it be worth it?  That's up to the guy spending the money.  If I'd paid someone else to install the new parts and fit the barrel to the frame and slide I'd have spent a lot more money.  In the end, when I'm done with it, between parts and refinishing, I'll have over $800 in mine.  I could have had a new one and bought some custom hammer/trigger parts for that money.

Just think about what if might cost you.  If you can look it over before you buy it you may find it's condition either makes it worth it, or not.

Good luck with it though, either way. 
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 11:36:35 PM »
There is high value in knowing how you transformed  an old,  headed-for-the-scrap yard pistol  into a thing of beauty with smooth reliable function = priceless.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 01:09:02 AM »
The 85Combat and some versions of the 85 Lux (not likely to be found in North America, unless a Frankonia model) do not have the firing pin block.  There are also Type A CZ 85s without the firing pin block. 

"Pre-B" is a misleading term. 

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=14699.0

Look near the bottom if you are impatient. 
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 08:46:14 AM »
I have a transitional pre-B 85. Mine was a surplus gun from Israel.  I have also sunk a bunch of money into mine.  But, it is now the best gun I have.  Nothing outshoots it. 
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline hoser

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »
Is it "typical" to need to sink some money into an early 1990's year 85 (pre B) and not so much the newer 85B  or 75B?

Offline afultz075

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »
Chances are a spring or two is all that will need to be replaced.

The biggest issue with the Pre-B 85's that can involve "sinking money into it" is the right side slide stop releases. Pre-B 85's use a much more fragile right hand slide release than modern 85's (the shaft where it inserts into the gun is thin and can crack/shear). CZ subsequently updated the design of the right hand slide and beefed up the shaft where it interfaces with the frame so issues are pretty much non-existent.

The old style right side releases are no longer made and the frame must be drilled in order to accommodate the updated design. Unless you have a gunsmith you absolutely trust (your frame will be toast if the job is botched), you are looking at paying to send the gun to CZC, CGW, or CZ-USA for the modification.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
Or...a good machinist you can trust to bore a given size hole in a precise location. 

Offline painter

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
Or...a good machinist you can trust to bore a given size hole in a precise location.
Exactly. It doesn't take a gunsmith to enlarge a hole.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

anything