Author Topic: EAA Witness 22 Conversion Kit Problems  (Read 17296 times)

Offline glivet

EAA Witness 22 Conversion Kit Problems
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:28:20 PM »
I bought a new Tanfoglio EAA Witness 45 ACP with a 22 conversion kit recently.  When I finally got it to the range, shooting 45 was great.  Very nice and accurate, almost like my CZ75.  

But when I put on the 22 slide and barrel, it was nothing but trouble.  I'd say 70% of rounds got jammed.  There seems to be two problems: first, the barrel entry seems a bit too tight as many of the  spent casings were stuck in there and I had to pry them out. Second, the cartridges weren't feeding up from the magazine to the barrel right.  It was like the angle was too low and they were trying to go against the base of the barrel instead of up and into the barrel.

Any ideas about what I should do?  Will it fix itself as the gun gets broken in, can I fix it myself somehow or should I send it back to EAA?  I have heard bad things about their customer service.

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:10:29 AM »
glivet......  Although I and the site members would be happy to help you fix your 22 conversion unit.  I think the best course of action is to call EAA and get it fixed under warranty.

If for some reason this is not an option then I will try to help you.  R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline mm6mm6

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 05:19:02 AM »
Glivet:   I have not heard of others having similar problems with the .22 conversions, specially the .45/.22's that came as a pair.

What kind of ammo are you using?  Have you tried various brands/bullet styles?

-Steve

Offline minnesotatv

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:30:53 AM »
Howdy:

I too had constant problems with the .22LR conversion kit.
Constant jams, averaging 1.4 per 10 round magazine.
Early on most jams were failure to extract.  Later it was
failure to eject the spent shell casing.  (The spent case would end up jammed between the top of the slide and
the next round in the magazine.  Or would be caught in
the ejection port.)

After 3 months of ownership of mine and fighting the
kit thru 700 rounds, I returned it to EAA along with a 3
page list of things that needed fixing.  The problems with the conversion kit was one.

They did nothing.  Their solution was to replace both magazines, which had nothing to do with the problem
at all.  

By all means to protect your warranty, the first step in repairing the kit is to return the pistol to EAA - and scream and yell long and loud to see if they'll actually repair it.  Because it is repairable - mostly.  Just don't hold your breath.

When they don't repair it, email me and I'll tell you the source of the problems with mine,  how I got mine fixed.

Offline glivet

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:25:12 PM »
I only took it to the range once and only had one kind of ammo (Winchester cheapo in a box of 550 from WalMart).  

OK, I will give their customer service a try.  I agree that I have I should not have problems with a new gun, and if I do, the warranty should cover it.  I was just a bit wary of their customer service based on what I read here.

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:27:38 AM »
minnesotatv.....Welcome to the site.  Sorry you have had problems with your Witness.  You stated

After 3 months of ownership of mine and fighting the
kit thru 700 rounds, I returned it to EAA along with a 3
page list of things that needed fixing. The problems with the conversion kit was one.

I can't imagine a 3 page list of warranty repairs on a handgun.  Would you be so kind as to share this list with us.  I am sure it would be helpful to many of us.

R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline minnesotatv

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 06:16:31 AM »

glivet:

Try different brands of ammo in the kit before shipping it back to EAA.
Some conversion kits (not just EAA's) can be very picky about ammo.

There's a lot of metal for that little .22LR to move, so among others
definitely try some of hyper velocity ammo like CCI Velociters, Aquila
SuperMax and CCI Stingers too.  (The Federal hyper velocity stuff
has demonstrated extremely poor functioning for me ).  

You might get lucky and find something that works.  Which would save
you the hassle of dealing with EAA, not to mention the cost of shipping.

Also, if you haven't already done so carefully inspect all parts of the kit
for bad metal work.  Mine showed up with lots of burrs and rough spots.

Rod Slinger:
Thanks for the invitation, but I'll decline.

TV

Offline glivet

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 07:43:55 PM »
I just wanted to mention that I sent it back to EAA.  Their customer service was OK.  I was expecting "horrible", and I got "acceptable" so I guess I'm happy.  Turnaround was quick, I had it back in my hands in about two weeks.  They replaced the 22 barrel and fit the conversion kit to the frame.

Since then it's much, much better.  It has still jammed a few times (maybe 3% now instead of 70%), but all of them were on El Cheapo hollow point rounds.  Roundnose seems to feed flawlessly (at least CCI and Aguila), so I guess all that's left is to find some El Cheapo roundnose cartridges!

Offline atblis

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »
That sounds like pretty good service!  Considering how crappy the bulk stuff is, most of your 3% failures could very well be the ammo.
I've never gotten them to fix anything, and usually get insulted for my efforts.

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 11:39:33 PM »
glivet  I am happy but not surprised that your gun was repaired to your satisfaction and in a timely manner.

Let me guess how you accomplished this amazing feat.  First off I'll bet you did not send with your gun a three page list of repairs.  Next I bet you were courteous (professional) in your request for warranty repair.  If you are the pro I think you are you my even send a note of thanks to the folks at EAA.  This would put you on good standing if you need parts of repairs in the future.  Everyone , even Old Dogs likes a thank you ever now and then.  Oh by the way this is my secret for dealing with EAA and others.  So for it is working very well.

Now for my friends in the I Hate EAA and Paul Club.  Dare I say the (Paul Derangement Club)  Who are you helping with the consent out pouring of negativism?

OK, I will give their customer service a try. I agree that I have I should not have problems with a new gun, and if I do, the warranty should cover it. I was just a bit wary of their customer service based on what I read here.

Taken from gliver's  post:  "based on what I have read here."   Guy's how does it profit anyone by scaring them away from EAA?  How can we help new members by spouting out hate?  Can we try to put others ahead of our own agenda?   If you would do this I know this site will be a lot better place of your effort.   R S

Offline atblis

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »
Truthfully, I suspect that most of us are hoping EAA goes out of business, and somebody else starts importing Tanfoglios.... and that could very well be where we're headed.

Armalite importing a Turkish Tanfoglio.
Academy importing yet another Turkish Tanfoglio.
Armscor looks to be getting in the game as well.

EAA's days are numbered IMO.  That's a good thing.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Re: EAA Witness 22 Conversion Kit Problems
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 08:58:51 PM »
Okay, well it's good to hear, I am not the only one getting the run-a-round for EAA
I had the feeling I wasn't holding my tongue right or something
Shoot safe all, Den S
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:11:58 PM by DenStinett »
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

anything