Author Topic: Magazine Compatibility Master List  (Read 214011 times)

Original-Supergoose

Magazine Compatibility Master List
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2005, 04:36:36 PM »
Ok, I have a compact witness in .45. I've been trying to get a couple of extra mags for shooting. I wouldn't mind getting full-size mags. CDNN has mags listed for the CZ TT45. Are these the same as those for the CZ 97B? If so, would they be compatible with my compact .45 Witness?

Thanks, Greg

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2005, 11:50:39 PM »
You would be better off just ordering the proper magazines from EAA, rather than trying to find something else that will fit.  If you do get the fullsize magazines, then go ahead and order the rubber grip fillers from EAA, which fill the gap between the compact grip and the bottom of the fullsize magazine.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS:  Welcome to the forum
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline mcostello25

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
Okay, I am looking for an oldie.  I have a CZ 25 in .380 caliber pistol which I would like to find a spare clip for, or one that is compatible.  
I have not been able to find anything on a CZ 25, let alone spare clips.  One list I saw showed a CZ 25 as being afully automatic rifle.  Any Help appreciated?

Offline shooter

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2006, 06:29:51 PM »
Hello all
Purchased a Witness PC 9mm Polymer frame compact
I guess the New Style Polymer frame compacts will use
the same mags as the steel guns.
www.ammoclip.com  has measurments on the web site
to assist with trying to find the correct mags. Just go to
the EAA Mag page.
Wish it was easier to find mags.:(

Gil...

Alvin-John

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2006, 07:06:58 PM »
Hello all. I'am new here and that is because I just bought a NORINCO NZ 85 B. It came with 2 mags and I want at least 1 more or better yet 3 more. Spare norinco mags are not available locally so I have to buy original CZ mags or some other brand of mag. What do I have to watch out for in terms of compatibility and function. If it fits the pistol will it follow that it will work properly? Before I buy the mags I can load it and fit it in my pistol and cycle the slide a few times but I may not fire the pistol. Will that be enough to insure that the mag works properly in my pistol?

Thanks a lot!

alvin john

eedsr

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2006, 01:56:53 PM »
Hello;
I'm New to this forum, want to say Hi to all and say that I enjoy reading all the posts, they are very informative.
I have a full size Witness Wonder Finish in 45 acp and enjoy shooting it very much.
I have just purchased a .22 lr Conversion Kit and was trying to find out if anyone knows where to buy .22 lr magazines ?

Thanks,
Ed.

Offline CanuckZ

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2006, 07:01:37 PM »
MecGars will function fine, but I find they do not drop free.  I hear that CZ-97B magazines fit .45 Witnesses, but not sure if those would drop free any better.

Offline CanuckZ

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2006, 07:05:26 PM »
I hear there is no problem using CZ mags.  If they insert easily without scraping (look at the finish), lock nicely, open the slide when empty, chances are they will work.  I have found in other makes that some mags will drop free and some won't.  So buy one and see.  If a no go, sell it.

bbdmr

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2006, 10:49:29 PM »
Hi all,

I need some help the mag is marked 41 AE. it fits & fnctions well but the follower will not lock the slide back.
The follower is a bit narrow in the front of the mag.

i'm using the mag in a 40cal.Baby Eagle with the red follower the new mag has a blackfollower.

How can i modify the follower to lock the slide back.

I tried to swich the 41AE follower with a orignal it would have to be modified abit as the rear corners of the follower need to be reworked in the 41AE mag.

I should know by now to just spend the money and get a REAL mag.

Thanks for any help,
bbdmr

barnshooter

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2007, 11:31:49 PM »
"I have a full size Witness 10mm. My question is, will the full size 40 cal mags work in this gun? How about the CZ mags? Any info will be helpful, thanks!"

I'm not sure from your post but it sounds like you may not be aware of the difference between the two frame sizes vs the two frame styles. If I'm out of line here then just smack me. But it looked like a good spot for a quick refresher clinic now that this post has grown so much. Greybeards of the clone board please correct me where I'm wrong, but keep in mind I am making this general, I'll point out some exceptions at the end.

There are two basic styles, usually called full-size and compact. There are also polymer and all-steel versions of both. For mags this isn't a big concern so we won't go into the polymers here.

There are also two frame sizes, usually referred to as large frame and small frame.

The small frame shoots (basically) 9mm and 40 S&W only. It is available in both styles, full-size and compact.

The large frame shoots (basically) 38 super, 10mm and 45. It is available in both styles, full-size and compact. They can also be converted to other calibers, including the ones used by the small frame version. This will muddy the water some as we'll see later.

Magazines intended for the large frame will not interchange with those intended for the small frame. Period.

Magazines for the compact will not fit a full size frame style(obviously because they are too short). However magazines for the full size frames will fit the compact style, just stick out a little on the bottom. More on that later.

Now, within the lineups, there is another thing to remember; the caliber of the magazine. For all intents and purposes, there are three basic "calibers" of magazines, and they roughly correspond to the boltface on the slide, which is geared to the diameter of the bullet rim. For the small frame there are two, 9mm and 40. On the large frame there are three, 38 super, 10mm and 45. The magazine has to match the shell diameter to feed properly. No matter what the magazine is marked, it is one of three basic sizes, 9mm/38, 10mm/40, and 45.

Now, to put all this together and answer your question about 40 mags in a 10mm, we'll walk through the basic questions you have to be able to answer to order the correct ones.

1) Is your gun style the compact or the full size? If it is the full size you can't use the compact mags, if it is the compact then you have to decide if you want a larger magazine that protrudes from the bottom or not.

2) Is your gun the small frame or the large frame? This is important and i can't stress this enough, it goes right over some people's heads. CURRENT CALIBER DOES NOT NECESSARILY MATTER, ONLY THE FRAME SIZE!!!. So many people ask things like "Will a 40 mag work in a 10mm?" and get ticked off when the answer is "maybe, it depends". I don't have my calipers or my pistols handy to give measurements but one way you might tell is if you know what caliber it came in from EAA. If it shoots 38 super, 45 or 10mm you have the large frame. The reverse is not always true though. If it shoots 9mm or 40 S&W, it is likely a small frame, BUT it could be a large frame set up to shoot one of these calibers.

3) You've determined the length of the magazine you want (compact or full size) and the frame size (large or small) but you aren't sure what caliber. This gets to be more important in large frame conversions to other calibers. 9mm and 38super have the same shell diameter, so yes, one should feed the other. 40 and 10mm, 357 sig share the same shell size. 45 is all by its lonesome unless you really get into the wildcats like 9x25. If you get this far, you shouldn't be looking at this post for answers though :)  

Polymer notes: I don't have experience with the witness P, but I think all the rules above apply. The unique thing about the polymer full size large frame mags is that they have a little rubber spacer doodad on them that makes them fit really well in the compact model. I don't know if there is one for the full size small frame magazines. I assume so.

Non-witness mag notes: That is the other half of the story and a lot of what this sticky was originally about. This post is just for the witness alone.

41AE notes: This is an oddball caliber. It uses the boltface and slide of the 9mm, but it has its own magazine. The only ones I've seen are for the small frame model, and they are of an older style baseplate. They will fit in the full size and the compact, but they aren't real comfortable to hold in the compact. The reason these were popular is that they were available at one time cheap, were high capacity and they seemed to cycle reasonably well with 40S&W, which is almost the same size. Back when hi-cap 40 mags were scarce, these were a cheap easy way to fit your 40 cal witness with a hi-cap mag legally. In reality though, if you have one it is worth more as a collectible than anything, they don't work well enough and totally suck in the compact for anything outside the range. If you also have a 41AE barrel then keep both as an accessory or see if you can find a buyer. I personally wouldn't mind scoring another barrel, and I bet there are those who wouldn't mind having the mag.

Newer frame note: I'm still not sure I gather what EAA is doing but I believe all their imports are now on the large frame. I have been out of commission for awhile so I am just catching up. The above should still apply because there are still plenty of the small frames out there NIB on jobber's shelves judging from the last gun show I went to.

Offline CanuckZ

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2007, 07:54:46 AM »
I have a .45 polymer Witness.  The silvery plated mags do not drop free, only the blued ones.

Offline SigWolf

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2007, 06:15:39 AM »
I posted this question in another post.

I have noticed the factory mags don't fit snugly in the frame of the .45 Match Elite. I checked a number of Elite pistols at my local FFL and they all are pretty much the same.

When you insert the mag if you do not push the bottom forward it will not seat and lock in place. I'm going to modify one mag by enlarging the catch indention and see if this solves the problem. It's like the hole isn't quite long enough.

These are factory mags BTW with the T on them not Mec-Gar or Pro-Mag.

Offline czharry

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2007, 01:05:58 PM »
So what happened to the Magazine Compatibility Master List? The link doesn't work since the forums
were changed.
I just bought a Witness-C in .45ACP, and I'd like to get another mag.

- There's a storm coming -

CZ 75B  .40S&W
CZ 75B  9mm
CZ 50     x2
VZ 24
CZ 52     x4  (WTS)

S. Fla.

Offline CanuckZ

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2008, 07:23:35 PM »
Will CZ75 magazines work in a TZ75?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »
Quote from: CanuckZ
Will CZ75 magazines work in a TZ75?

That would depend upon what version of the TZ75 that you have.  Series 88 and later TZ75's will use the 9mm/.40 frame EAA Witness magazines. I have been using Israeli (IMI) made CZ75 magazines in my pre-series 88 TZ75.  I've heard that Mec-Gar CZ75 magazines will also work in the pre-series 88 TZ75.  EAA has in the past, stocked magazines for the pre-series 88 TZ75's.  You might call them and ask if they still have them.  Another possibility, since you are in Canada, is to see if the magazines for the Norinco CZ Clones will fit and feed.  Good Luck!

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

anything