Author Topic: keeping mags loaded  (Read 33391 times)

Offline copenhagen

Re: keeping mags loaded
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 05:56:51 AM »
Is that you Rickie?

Well if you want the problem fixed, you have to b!tch about it.

Offline majulook

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 01:57:59 PM »
Hopefully, CZ will fix the issue, or 3rd party will provide solution. 

If mags get banned or become extremely hard to find, maybe try useing gap fill super glue? 

Offline mursalot

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 09:30:30 PM »
I was using Militec1.  I'm planning to try a non-scientific study with the new mags.  I switched to Ballistol Saturday on a hunch.  Want to scrub a mag with Militec1, one with Ballistol, and one a virgin.  Load and see if oil or lack of makes a difference.

MILITEC-1 is a plastic corrosive. 1st hand experience.  The type of plastic and how much exposure will vary.  I only use it for metal on metal contact surfaces (what it was designed for).  Hell, even the plastic bottle containing MILITEC-1 is degrading! Simple Green was eating away the paint and aluminum on our blackhawk helicopters. once this was discovered, the army banned it for dermatology safety concerns. every chemical has a specific purpose.  once you you start using that chemical outside of its intended purpose/s, you're playing with fire.  you won't catch me using antifreeze on my pancakes in the morning
2 things you never want to hear when you pull the trigger:

"click" when you expect it to go "bang" and

"bang" when you expect it to go "click"

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
Not really - here are pictures of the feed lips on my range/practice mag I use a lot.

One of the two that came with it when I got it, still going strong. Never left loaded for longer than it took to UNLOAD it, but it's had well north of 2,000 rounds run through it.

Offline copenhagen

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 06:50:11 AM »
I was using Militec1.  I'm planning to try a non-scientific study with the new mags.  I switched to Ballistol Saturday on a hunch.  Want to scrub a mag with Militec1, one with Ballistol, and one a virgin.  Load and see if oil or lack of makes a difference.

MILITEC-1 is a plastic corrosive. 1st hand experience.  The type of plastic and how much exposure will vary.  I only use it for metal on metal contact surfaces (what it was designed for).  Hell, even the plastic bottle containing MILITEC-1 is degrading! Simple Green was eating away the paint and aluminum on our blackhawk helicopters. once this was discovered, the army banned it for dermatology safety concerns. every chemical has a specific purpose.  once you you start using that chemical outside of its intended purpose/s, you're playing with fire.  you won't catch me using antifreeze on my pancakes in the morning

After 8 years in the Marines, 70+ different firearms, I've never had problems with militec on everything until my suspicions about these CZ mags, which are largely anecdotal at this time.

Please pass the antifreeze.

Offline mauikiteman

Re: keeping mags loaded and cheap ammo!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 07:06:21 AM »
I asked CZ USA about keeping magazines loaded - this is their reply:

"You can keep your magazines stored loaded or unloaded, it's up to you. We've seen less than .1% of magazines come back with any issues, and still yet we stand behind them. If anything was to occur we would take care of you."

I'll keep mine ready to go.

BTW its so fun to shoot the Scorpion - but one visit to the range and I've gone through several boxes of ammo...

Here's a good online deal that I recently purchased:  9mm CCI Blazer Brass 1000 Round Case for $225 including shipping from http://ammunitionstore.com/
just under .23 a shot - not bad.

Offline mursalot

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 10:35:50 AM »

After 8 years in the Marines, 70+ different firearms, I've never had problems with militec on everything until my suspicions about these CZ mags, which are largely anecdotal at this time.

That's because in your 8 years in the marines, you're loading aluminum/steel mags into aluminum/steel receivers. Besides, you don't clean a weapon with militec. You use clp or a parts wash bin, then lightly coat your bolt with oil per the training manual. Whether it be m16, m9, m249, m240b, m2, mk19, etc, etc...it's all the same. Why you would want to lube anything other than the parts with metal on metal contract is anyone's guess.

Offline mursalot

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 10:43:20 AM »
I know this has been brought up before and have seen people back and forth saying CZ has/has not changed the polymer in the magazine. I have 12 of the 30 rounders and have only used a couple of them. I am just trying to figure out if I should load all of them up for a while and see if anything happens. However, if nothing has been changed on the magazines I might as well just leave them as is. My only concern is for future legislation which could potentially ban 30 rd mags. Therefore, if they are going to break over time and they have come up with something better I would rather go ahead and load them up and let them sit and see if something happens rather than it randomly happen down the road. Thoughts?

For what it's worth, I've kept all 12 of my mags fully loaded since day 1 without any issues. I do rotate my mags though. 8 are setup with 115gr and the other 4 are 147gr

Now, these are all 20 round mags. I've read somewhere on here that cz uses the 30 round mag spring in the 20 round mag thus causing the 20 round mags to fail prematurely. I don't know if that's true, but to me it seems like the 30 rnd mags are having more problems that the 20's

Offline copenhagen

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »

That's because in your 8 years in the marines, you're loading aluminum/steel mags into aluminum/steel receivers. Besides, you don't clean a weapon with militec. You use clp or a parts wash bin, then lightly coat your bolt with oil per the training manual. Whether it be m16, m9, m249, m240b, m2, mk19, etc, etc...it's all the same. Why you would want to lube anything other than the parts with metal on metal contract is anyone's guess.

Thanks for your opinions.

We were issued militec1.  Its what we called clp.  Militec1 is one of the most prominent firearms lubricants available.  I've yet to break an ap brush or any other piece of plastic with it.  It breaking CZ mags has yet to be proven.  If CZ'S mags can't handle it, they should warn people.  I plan to conduct a controlled test, you can be sure I'll post results.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:02:27 PM by copenhagen »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 12:49:30 PM »
Gentlemen, keep it professional.
As for military cleaners/lubricants, I never saw anything labeled Militec, but I did have an OD bottle of RBC! Can't remember the cans of junk we had in the Armory, but it was pretty good with metal firearms and sea salt...except for the 1911A1 one idiot dropped in 117 feet of ocean. That needed a somewhat more extensive cleaning after EOD recovered it. Yes, they were bored and volunteered.

Offline 605603rwhp

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 03:43:30 PM »
I have mags loaded since day 1. (2 10 rnd & 6 30rnd) All have newer USA base plates & followers if that has anything to do with it. No problems anywhere. Fingers crossed :)

Offline ksuchewie

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »
I've had all mine loaded up & kept loaded since day 1.  I've never been in the camp of "loaded mags wear out".  Spring compression & de-compression many times over & over is what wears them out.
None of my mags have cracked, knock on wood.  They are all the imported version with USA followers/bases for 922r compliance.

Offline copenhagen

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 07:19:42 PM »
CCI Blazer Brass.  30 rounds each.  All mags brand new, all manufacturered March of 2016.  "Control" has no oil.  Hands were cleaned before each set of 3 magazines, and dedicated seperate brushes used to thoroughly apply oil to outside and inside of feedlips on the oiled magazines.   I'll be checking daily for cracks.

Offline copenhagen

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »
After approximately 24 hours:

MILITEC-1 and CZ Scorpion Magazines do not mix!

Offline Obiwan

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 07:36:53 PM »
Very nice test, and an unexpected yet impressive result. Thanks for setting that up. It looks like another Militec one is about to fail.

I guess it's time to Google that product and see what it includes. Hopefully OneShot, which is what I used for magazine cleaning, doesn't contain any of that.

anything