Author Topic: Round Inspection, Check!  (Read 1858 times)

Offline IDescribe

Re: Round Inspection, Check!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 06:14:02 PM »
Your press tells you a lot in operation.  I can feel splits cases, 380, no primer, etc. off of feel.  Listen to your press.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 11:16:02 PM »
ID is a press whisperer!  :)

There are a number of times you handle the brass before it makes it into the press.  Take advantage of the handling time to inspect it.  I find more split cases up picking up the brass at the range then on the press or after reloading.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 08:04:11 AM »
I find more split cases up picking up the brass at the range then on the press or after reloading.

Of course, you do.  Everyone should.   Just saying that if you have a steady pull on the lever, you can feel all that stuff in the press IF you pay attention.   

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:19:41 AM »
ID is a press whisperer!  :)

Doesn't everybody talk to their press ??

::)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline DrewDaBear

• https://www.youtube.com/user/DrewDaBear
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
I know I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the game shakes me or breaks me I hope it makes me a better man and I take a better stand! - THE NORTIOUS B.I.G.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 11:07:08 AM »
I haven't had my press long enough "to be one" with her.  She is coming around though, I've been fine tuning and at least now she isn't spilling powder everywhere during indexing.

I do speak words of encouragement in times of need.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline DrewDaBear

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
On the Dillion 650, anyone do the reach-a-round with the index finger, for the case that's slightly out of position on the depriming/resizing die, without looking to finish the down stroke, and just push it in. I just smirk and say "get in there".

If the game shakes me or breaks me I hope it makes me a better man and I take a better stand! - THE NORTIOUS B.I.G.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
On the Dillion 650, anyone do the reach-a-round with the index finger, for the case that's slightly out of position on the depriming/resizing die, without looking to finish the down stroke, and just push it in. I just smirk and say "get in there".

That's the result of the previous case not being fully deprimed.  The case gets fully into position at station 1 during the priming action.  If the previous case wasn't deprimed, the priming action is stopped short, and the next case at station 1 won't line up with the sizing die, requiring the reach around.  Of course, then you have a case with a dead primer at station 2, so that has to be remedied.

Offline DrewDaBear

Round Inspection, Check!
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »

That's the result of the previous case not being fully deprimed.  The case gets fully into position at station 1 during the priming action.  If the previous case wasn't deprimed, the priming action is stopped short, and the next case at station 1 won't line up with the sizing die, requiring the reach around.  Of course, then you have a case with a dead primer at station 2, so that has to be remedied.

I think there may be another reason that could contribute to the reach-a-round. In consideration to your point, that would mean having a dead primer in a completed round if I'm understand you correctly. But my issue is, if that were true in my case, I would have rounds that don't go bang, and fortunately for me, all rounds have been successful in the reach-a-round occurrences. 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:02:48 PM by DrewDaBear »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 10:07:56 PM »
Drew, the case is inserted all the way into the shell plate at station one when the primer is being seated.  If you are occasionally getting a case that isn't all the way into the shellplate, and thus isn't lined up with the sizing die, there are only two things that can cause that.  You either:

1) Aren't completing the full range of motion when priming, either because you simply aren't, or because something is in the way and blocking that action (like a spent primer that wasn't deprimed at station 1), or

2) You are fully pressing that case into the shellplate while priming, then it's sliding back out when you start the ram back up, which seems incredibly unlikely.

Far more likely you're not rocking the lever forward all the way on priming.

You're not the guy who recently said he was depriming and priming separately from the progressive, are you?

Offline DrewDaBear

Round Inspection, Check!
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 10:33:30 PM »
Thanks for the breakdown. No, not me. I run the 650 as intended. I'll check my setup for any hanging spent primers and pay more attention to the full stroke range. What you're saying makes perfect sense. It has to be one or the other. Thanks ID!

Offline Comte

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 06:49:41 AM »
I'm wondering if I should have caught this before the press and load. Wondering what it looked like before sizing and seating. Glad I'm not finding out on the firing line.

2 rounds out of 500 this morning. Glad I barrel tested each round. That's when I noted these two.

Used on Dillion 650.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you suspect a problem, call Dillion asap.  They have a great replacement policy, they replaced a part I admitted I had lost to them, no questions asked other that "your address?"  Great company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 06:11:48 PM »
I'll check my setup for any hanging spent primers and pay more attention to the full stroke range.

Just as work is the curse of the drinking class, short strokes or inconsistent speed strokes are the scourge of the novice reloader. Mentally concentrate on slow, steady, consistent strokes, and all issues related to poor op lever performance will disappear.

Hope this helps.  ;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.