Author Topic: cz 75b vs SP-01  (Read 27250 times)

Offline TheNewDavout

cz 75b vs SP-01
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:09:17 PM »
Hi all, very new member here, and very new to firearms in general. 

So, I've been looking to pick up a CZ in the next year, and have narrowed it down to either a 75b or a SP-01.  However, it seems as though local gunshops/sporting goods stores and similar have a much easier time stocking the 75b or 85b than the SP-01.  However, I've also heard that the SP-01 is at least a little bit softer shooting, which is part of the reason I'd like a CZ to begin with.  So, what I'm wondering is, just how much softer does it really shoot?  Should I wait, hunt, and try to find and SP-01, or settle on the 75b? 

I should note, the rail is not a selling point for me for a variety of reasons, and in terms of aesthetics, I like the look of the 75b more than the SP-01.

Offline Earl Keese

Re: cz 75b vs SP-01
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:09:12 PM »
The first thing I noticed about your post is that you mentioned "settling" for a 75B. Don't settle, buy the gun you want. That said, yes the SP-01 is noticeably softer shooting. Ergonomics are somewhat better as well(up swept beaver tail). They're a little harder to find for good reason. One of my buddies shoots an SP and I like it a lot, I have two pre-b 75's and absolutely love them. The slight amount of extra recoil doesn't bother me at all. Eventually an SP-01 will come home with me. A first CZ is a gateway drug, welcome to the addiction.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 07:14:40 PM »
The softer shooting comes from the full length dust cover and the better beaver tail or the extra weight under the barrel and full sized slide and the up-swept beaver tail that is far more comfortable to shoot. I find if your grip is correct and your support hand is doing all the work I really cannot tell very much difference between the 2 models in recoil or split times, if any. The low bore axis and the ergonomics of either dampens what little recoil a 9mm can produce. They make several non SP01 models with the good beaver tail, and like you, I love the classic lines of the 75. The real answer to this question is buy both. :)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »
As far as soft shooting, all CZs full size steel guns will fit the bill, including the Matte Stainless with upswept beavertail and ambi safety.  Quite frankly, the compacts are soft shooting in my opinion.

My CZ75B Matte Stainless is a keeper for sure!

bluedev84

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 07:45:15 PM »
I've owned many CZ's, full size and compacts.....the full size 75B or SP-01 are pretty similar, the all steel frame really absorbs quite a bit. The SP-01 is maybe slightly "smoother" but not enough to warrant getting it over the 75B, especially if you like the aesthetics of the 75B more.  There are some really simple things anyone can do to help with trigger pull (hammer spring) or recoil (slide spring) just by swapping springs, really easy to do.  Go with your instincts....get the 75B

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:33:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum. There's not enough difference in the felt recoil to be an issue. If it's possible, handle both CZs and buy the one that feels the best to you. You can't lose with either pistol.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:35:26 PM by wdbutcher »

Offline runnerhiker

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:45:04 AM »
+1 what wdbutcher said, I have both.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 12:27:21 PM »
welcome,

When it comes to newbies.....

go find a gun rental shop and shoot some guns.  Not just CZs, but other guns.  You learn more by trying as many as you can vs just handling or using one gun.  Right now you "think" you know what you like, but you havent shot any to verify that.

If you have any friends that shoot, than hit them up and see if they will let  you play with their toys.  A side comment.  Im surprised that many new people dont have any friends that shoot.  I must be really lucky since thats how i got into it.

in any case, do more research up front and know what you want.  Also, just because you buy a gun you may end up not liking it later on or for whatever reason want to sell or trade it.  Do so if you dont want to it anymore.

good luck

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »
I would go with the SP01 if the price difference isn't much. I have an 85C, and I wish I got an SP-01 (though I still love my 85C.

The front slide serrations, beavertail, and checkering on the front and back straps are added bonuses.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 02:26:04 PM »
I have a matte stainless 75b, a P-01 alloy and an all steel Tristar/Canik P-100 (P-01 clone), and the all stainless 75b has the best feel/balance for it's size and weight for any shooting circumstance. IMO, the all steel SP-01 would be too heavy based on my experience with the P-01 and P-100 weight difference. Don't get me wrong, the P-01 is my overall favorite handgun. I wouldn't mind owning an SP-01, but only if I can catch a sale for under $550 new.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:34:31 PM by Rmach »

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »
I own a 75 BD and prefer it over the heavier front end of the SP-01. This is a target/range pistol so I do not need the rail.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:19:39 PM »
I have a matte stainless 75b, a P-01 alloy and an all steel Tristar/Canik P-100 (P-01 clone), and the all stainless 75b has the best feel/balance for it's size and weight for any shooting circumstance. IMO, the all steel SP-01 would be too heavy based on my experience with the P-01 and P-100 weight difference. Don't get me wrong, the P-01 is my overall favorite handgun. I wouldn't mind owning an SP-01, but only if I can catch a sale for under $550 new.

Rmach brings up a good point. If there's a $100-150 price difference, I don't know if it's really worth it or not. I would take an upgraded hammer and spring kit rather than the SP-01. Assuming funds are limited.

Offline diesel72

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 08:09:54 PM »
I have a stainless 75b Limited Edition and an SP-01.

The biggest difference between them is that you probably don't want the SP-01 for a carry gun. They both shoot great, but the SP-01 is a little more comfortable to put a lot of rounds through at one time. Both are pretty similar as far as accuracy and recoil.

Offline eastman

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »

Rmach brings up a good point. If there's a $100-150 price difference, I don't know if it's really worth it or not. I would take an upgraded hammer and spring kit rather than the SP-01. Assuming funds are limited.

Part of the extra you are paying for on the SP-01 Tactical goes for the Tritium night sights. If you plan to go with night sights, having them factory installed is a good bonus.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Rhino

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:42 PM »
My two cents, I own a 75B, SP01, and a 75B SA converted to DA/SA. I wanted the ergonomics and the beavertail of the SP01. The shape of the 75B (no rail) so I purchased the CZ 75B SA, converted it to double action, tricked it out with parts from CGW. Now I have a 75 B SA converted to DA, full length slide rail (same slide as the SP01) extended mag release, extended safety, upswept beavertail, and no rail, it is awesome. Buy a CZ 75B SA and do what I did.

anything