Author Topic: P-01 factory sights. How bad are they?  (Read 12173 times)

Offline olfarhors

Re: P-01 factory sights. How bad are they?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 04:00:30 PM »
to me the factory small glow dots are pretty bad!
 I had David install a set of Meps on it as its my carry weapon and I have a SP-01 Tac and 97 BD that had the same sights.
 so I got the same sight picture with all three, the POA-POI did not change one bit from the factory sights.
and yep, MY P-01 shoots just as accurately as my SP-01, at least out to 25 yards,.

Offline bonknhead

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 06:17:53 PM »

Could you share your experience with the model of Dawsons you chose and how well you shoot them on the p-01? Thank you. Also, a photo may help... Maybe a sight picture if you could be so kind? Haha thank you

Sure.  DawsonPrecision.com has a page for CZ sets at: https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/cz/dawson-fixed-sets/ 

I chose the "Dawson Precision CZ P-01 Carry Fixed Sight Set - Tritium Rear & Tritium Front" for $118.  They shipped the sights in a padded envelope and included an allen wrench and a punch. 

pics:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:23:12 PM by bonknhead »
CZ 75 P-01 - Heavily Modified: Dawson Precision Tritium sights | CZ USA Aluminum Grips

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 03:58:52 AM »
Thanks for the pictures of your hardware... Do you find the need for the rear dots less than just a front? I've been all over the place with fixed sights on carry stuff. Certain guns I just don't want anything in the rear detracting my eye from the front dot. BUT for carry I haven't figure out my most preferred sights config as of yet. I have all sorts of stuff on my carry guns and I haven't been able to really decide what works best for multitude of lighting situations and such... Years and years spent just putting sights on pistols and shooting them in hopes of never having to draw down on a perp. I have stuff setup just like yours and it's still what I have more pistols setup like. Tritium front and rear. Some with the tfo and tfx... Some all black rear and a front that pops, and those are mostly what I like for steel and range time.

4th Brigade 10th Mountain Div.
2-30 Infantry Batt.
Wild Boars - Forged for War
TF Storm Logar, Afghanistan OEF 10/11
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline ad5md

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 12:00:25 AM »
Bonkhead,

Does the front sight from Dawson has the cut for the pin already?  I was told that the Meprolight does not and I'm considering the Dawsons if it does. Tnx

Offline bonknhead

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 12:39:21 AM »
Thanks for the pictures of your hardware... Do you find the need for the rear dots less than just a front? I've been all over the place with fixed sights on carry stuff. Certain guns I just don't want anything in the rear detracting my eye from the front dot. BUT for carry I haven't figure out my most preferred sights config as of yet. I have all sorts of stuff on my carry guns and I haven't been able to really decide what works best for multitude of lighting situations and such... Years and years spent just putting sights on pistols and shooting them in hopes of never having to draw down on a perp. I have stuff setup just like yours and it's still what I have more pistols setup like. Tritium front and rear. Some with the tfo and tfx... Some all black rear and a front that pops, and those are mostly what I like for steel and range time.

4th Brigade 10th Mountain Div.
2-30 Infantry Batt.
Wild Boars - Forged for War
TF Storm Logar, Afghanistan OEF 10/11
My P-01 is my first firearm, and my second (a Beretta Nano) also has three-dot fixed white sights, do that's all I know to aim with, and I do like using that

I saw on CajunGunWorks.com a sight set that might be what you're looking for - an all-black serrated rear with a fiber-optic front: https://cajungunworks.com/product/ezd-9-40-for-9mm-and-40-sw/ .  I understand that FOs are a little fragile so they may not be the best choice for carry.  YMMV.  Good luck in your quest.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

CZ 75 P-01 - Heavily Modified: Dawson Precision Tritium sights | CZ USA Aluminum Grips

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11

Offline bonknhead

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 12:43:58 AM »
Bonkhead,

Does the front sight from Dawson has the cut for the pin already?  I was told that the Meprolight does not and I'm considering the Dawsons if it does. Tnx
Ad5nd - I had a 'smith install the sights for me do I have no idea if the front was already notched.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 12:47:06 AM »
It's not that I was having trouble locating what I wanted. I was having trouble making the decision on which I'm more comfortable with carrying. I don't think I'd leave the house with a competition sight set just because the blacked out rear may make picking up a sight picture in darkened conditions take that extra few tenths of a second one would depend on for presenting. It's just like I always said, I'm not going into competition circumstance making a midnight trip to Walmart for milk or some other random thing my 2yo or wife 'needs' after the sun goes down. Haha but yeah those sights on cgw are actually some good sights. I wouldn't put them on a primary carry gun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline egs

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »
For my PCR ... what I ended up doing was scraping out the ate-up "glow paint" that came default and replacing it w/ a few coats of chartreuse nail polish.  I couldn't be happier

I hope they're better than the PCR's.  I've had 4 front sights and 3 rear sights on mine in the past 6 months.  Installed what will hopefully be my last set tonight.

What sights did you use, and why did you not like them?  Which is the set that is hopefully your last?

I used bright fluorescent orange on the front sight. That helped quite a bit.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:53:06 AM by egs »

Offline J Lee

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »
Got a P01 in the back seat that I just picked up at my lgs. As far as factory sights go they are not that bad imo. Still going to get the Dawson tritiums.
James

Offline doc171

• FIELD MEDICAL TECHNICIAN
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »
I am in the process of installing a set of Dawson F/O on my new PO1. My son and I are going to local LEO range Monday or Tuesday so I will see how they are. If I don't like them I may install a set Dawson Trits or get a set of CZC Trits similar to the ones on my PCR (love the white rings for daytime).

Offline Sooltauq

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 02:24:26 AM »
Are they really that bad?

Yes. The factory sights on the PCR and P-01 are awful, and any purchaser should plan to send them off for something better (I sent mine to Mesa).

Of course, once you have good sights, then you arguably have the perfect compact, so it's well worth it.
CZ 75 SP-01, 97, P-01, PCR, P-06, P10C

Offline J Lee

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 07:03:12 PM »
Taking back what I said earlier.  They're not good, at least not for an indoor range anyway.  Shot mine for the 1st time today and you can't see the sights very well with indoor lights.  Maybe they will be better outside but the green front post just fades away to nothing with average indoor lighting.  Doesn't matter since I had plans to replace them before I bought the gun.
James

bonj

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 04:08:06 PM »
to me the factory small glow dots are pretty bad!
 I had David install a set of Meps on it as its my carry weapon and I have a SP-01 Tac and 97 BD that had the same sights.
 so I got the same sight picture with all three, the POA-POI did not change one bit from the factory sights.
and yep, MY P-01 shoots just as accurately as my SP-01, at least out to 25 yards,.

''MY P-01 shoots just as accurately as my SP-01, at least out to 25 yards," ...really? my experience is just the opposite on my P-01 Omega. The only way I can be accurate with it, even at 7 yrds, is to have a perfect grip and trigger pull.  My SP-01 is very accurate and more forgiving. Maybe I'm just a bad shooter.

Offline El Perdido

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2021, 07:17:57 PM »
Are the rear sight dovetails on the P-01 and the steel frame Compact the same?

Offline Tok36

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2021, 10:36:58 PM »
Are the rear sight dovetails on the P-01 and the steel frame Compact the same?

Same slide different roll mark.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

anything