Author Topic: 4 CZ 75 Pre B's - spot the difference(s) - just for fun  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Blackwatch

4 CZ 75 Pre B's - spot the difference(s) - just for fun
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:31:23 PM »
I wanted to compare/contrast 4 pistols from various years (1984 to 1991) in one picture...but then I had to create a second  O0

VIEW 1

VIEW 2

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: 4 CZ 75 Pre B's - spot the difference(s) - just for fun
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 05:39:07 AM »
Looks like the trigger guards on the two guns on the left in each picture have a different curve to them.

Might just be the light, but it also looks like a couple of the pistols have a different arch to the hammer spur as well.

I think the grips and the light contribute to the "look" that that frames on some of the guns are different down near the bottom front where it curves to the front.  I'm not sure there is a difference, but it looks different and I'm blaming the lighting and the grip panel width/shape.

Also looks like the serrations on the rear of the slide are deeper on some of them.  I've noticed that before.  My CZ 85 Pre B is flat in the serrations but I've seen pics of other Pre Bs where there serrations were arched inward, concave looking.

A couple of them have 1911A1 looking front sight instead of the ramped front sight.

A couple of them have a real narrow slide in front of the frame, sort of like a Browning Hi Power.

Does one of them have the screw windage adjustable rear sight?  Or it the lighting?
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:05:09 PM »
M1A4ME - thanks for sharing your observations - good eyes and attention to detail  :) All rear sights are factory stock - sorry the lighting wasn't better.

Some addtional info on production years: top left 1984. top right 1987, bottom left 1988 and bottom right 1991. I changed the grips on a couple of them and had the 1988 gun koted OD green with matt black fire controls.

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 09:57:34 AM »
There's something about the trigger guard on the '84s that just seem to have the sweetest curve in that trigger guard over other years. That 91 should have a thinner claw hammer and wider ejector compared to the 80s and the safety will have the two holes during the mid-80s time frame. Nice looking collection.

Offline tekarra

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 03:21:53 PM »
Four fine pistols.  I have an '84 and like it a whole lot.

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »
Appreciate the positive comments!!

Psyop96 - the 84 and 87 have the two holes on the safety, the 88 has a single. Adding a couple of larger pics for reference

Offline MGSchindel

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 04:45:15 PM »
The '84 and '87 with the wide spur hammers will also likely have a different, thinner, lighter firing pin, mated to a much longer, softer firing pin spring, and will also have a lighter-weight hammer spring. The best I can judge it on my own guns, the stock factory hammer springs in the early wide-hammer pre-B's are around 15 lbs.  This yields a much lighter double action than what you'd find on a current-production CZ or on a later early-90's pre-b. The hammer hook cuts and the arching radius on the early wide hammers also gives a cleaner, lighter single-action break with almost no camming. And the double action does not "stack" or get heavier at the end of its travel right before the sear drops, the way it typically does with the later, thinner, lighter pre B spur hammers like on your '91.  Putting a bone stock '84 and '91 in each hand and dry firing them in DA should reveal the "real" differences in the action parts, that are more than just minor subtle aesthetics.......assuming they both still have their factory parts and springs.   

Most of my pre-1989 CZ 75 pre B's, in bone-stock configuration, feel like they already had a trip to the custom shop because of those features. They have great action in stock trim, and need nothing, they're great shooters as-is (unless you wanted to upgrade the sights). If you want to buy a vintage CZ, leave it totally stock, and just enjoy its greatness, it's really hard to beat an early pre-1989 wide-hammer CZ 75. I even like the glossier feel and look of the very fragile early black enamel paint on those guns.  Just don't chip them or expect them to hold up to any holster wear LOL!

But be careful, I don't know of any source to get those early pre-B thin firing pins, OR the early long soft firing pin springs. The pre-b firing pins and reduced-power firing pin springs sold by CZ custom and Cajun will not fit the early wide-hammer CZ pre-b's such as your  1984. If you break a firing pin, or try cutting down a firing pin spring to experiment with, you're beat.   And no one makes an aftermarket "extended" firing pin that I'm aware of for the wide-hammer early pre-b's either.  So they're not an ideal candidate to buy for a bunch of customizing and action upgrade work, since the standard firing pin length will keep you from going much lighter on the stock hammer spring.....

Cheers and thanks for the great post. Can't get enough of the ol' pre B's.  I love mine. I even have an early factory "gloss blued" 1983 that has started to turn a sweet purplish hue with age, probably due to a less-than-ideal balance of chemicals in the bluing tanks back when it was made. She looks super vintage and feels sooooo silky......My '82 is almost identical, even the purplish bluing....

1983 Pre B blued

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:18:05 PM by MGSchindel »

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »
MGSchindel - thanks for sharing and drawing attention to the smooth action of the stock trim! Your '83 looks spectacular...if you ever think of selling it (which I doubt you will) ...please keep me in mind  :D