Author Topic: Article: How Heavily Armed is Your State?  (Read 3385 times)

Offline baldrage

Article: How Heavily Armed is Your State?
« on: September 02, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most-heavily-armed-states-in-america/52/?ftag=ACQ812ebde&vnid=32198068674

Washington, DC at #2?  Maryland at #10?  Seems like their methodology might be suspect, but still a fun time-waster to see where your home state ranked.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Article: How Heavily Armed is Your State?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »
I just have to wonder how many untraceable guns are out there and how accurate this little exercise could really be. The I have to wonder when we started registering firearms period???  Sounds like somebody has been sneakin round the back door.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:55:16 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 12:04:36 AM »
Like the stats for TEXAS.  The numbers only account for "registered firearms".  Firearms aren't required to be registered in Texas,  and m a n y are not registered.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 07:00:22 AM »
We don't register anything in Ohio either and private sales like between friends is not regulated either.The only recorded sales are those purchased through licensed dealers and I didn't think that info was available for public release.

Offline Ritter

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:08:21 PM »
This is NFA items only.  Some states don't even allow certain NFA registrations.  MI just recently allowed suppressors.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:57:42 PM »
Hmmmm, MT. #27
  "For every 1,000 residents in Montana, there are 11.3 guns. That's 11,461 registered firearms dispersed among 1,015,165 people."

Ya, I gotta call BS. What the heck is this registration thing they speak of?
  Just more proof that statistics can and will be manipulated. As soon as I hear that "per capita", I quit listening.

If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 07:05:47 AM »
This is NFA items only.  Some states don't even allow certain NFA registrations.  MI just recently allowed suppressors.

If this is true and they are only able to count NFA weapons then the entire exercise was a waste and the "real" numbers are astronomical. I personally own quite a few guns that were my father's and he acquired those long before GCA 68 and 4473's.

Offline Ritter

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
If you go back to the first slide, it explains the methodology.  To my reading, they didn't survey 4473's (wouldn't that be a federal registration?  Didn't the BATFE just get busted for keeping 4473's past the regulation date...by like 20 years?).  They didn't conduct a public survey.  They know how gun owners will respond to, "Hi, this is CBS news.  How many guns do you own?"  They would have reported about 100 guns nation wide! lol

The slide indicated they only surveyed NFA data.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 11:33:36 PM »
Exactly, it's all smoke and mirrors. My state has also never required registration. It's just to play to the unknowing base voters.

Offline BannorXL

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »
bahh -humbug

Offline MN Rifleman

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »
Yeah, MN is tied with ND at something like #30.......?  Right......I live in MN and travel quite a bit........virtually everyone I know in ND has at least a shotgun, and even more so for SD, but that is ranked even lower??  I don't know where or how they are getting their figures but in my opinion they are way off (low).  ::)

Offline Ritter

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 07:28:28 AM »
Yeah, MN is tied with ND at something like #30.......?  Right......I live in MN and travel quite a bit........virtually everyone I know in ND has at least a shotgun, and even more so for SD, but that is ranked even lower??  I don't know where or how they are getting their figures but in my opinion they are way off (low).  ::)
Shotguns are not NFA items unless they are short barrel, or AOW.  The pheasant guns in ND and SD wouldn't make the survey.

Offline MN Rifleman

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »
Shotguns are not NFA items unless they are short barrel, or AOW.  The pheasant guns in ND and SD wouldn't make the survey.

Interesting.  If that's the statistical base they are using, it would be very interesting to see what the "true" #'s really are  ;).......obviously much higher.

anything