Author Topic: Remington 9mm R51  (Read 5387 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Remington 9mm R51
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 12:42:54 AM »
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51-2016/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20Campaign%202016-08-19&utm_term=TTAG-ALL

This describes the Gen-2 weakpoints.  Sadly,  most were slightly improved,  but NOT fixed versions of the Gen-1 problems mine had.
I also had problems with the grip safety having to be held very tightly to function.
This review also cites a poor trigger with a lot of play side-to-side,  BUT at least functional now.
Yes,  the field strip was very different from other pistols,  but it didn't need a brain surgeon to strip it.  I proved that a number of times.  They did simplify the reassembly a little.  The field strip is more complicated than most,  but a complete teardown is a snap after field stripping it.
The machining was also said to be better. 

Dang,  I hope they fix this pistol that could/would replace my 9mm P-239;   Or that CZ would jump into the American market for single stack 9mms with a low felt recoil easy to carry and shoot pistol.

Offline Sancho

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 08:35:49 AM »
Too bad that it isn't all fixed yet.  I find that to be a fine looking pistol.

Sancho
I was already despicable, long before it was cool!

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »
I had an original R51 in .380 circa 1923 and it was a fine reliable pistol. Very well made and finished. I just have to wonder if this design is really adaptable to modern manufacturing processes where hand fitting isn't involved.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:41:46 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
Remington was bought by Cerberus Capital Management a decade ago.  Cerberus is one of those companies that buys other existing healthy companies, then "restructures" the company to increase profits.  That typically includes cutting your higher paid, more experienced workers and cutting costs in both research and design, as well as quality control, while mitigating the risk by transferring equity to the parent company in the form of exorbitant consulting fees.  It's a game of finding the sweet spot between  minimum manufacturing effort and profit.  They have had lots of QC issues since Cerberus took over.  Personally, I won't even buy Remington ammo.

Offline wriggly

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 01:25:43 AM »
I picked one up this past week. Wrung that little sucker out real good today at the Manticore Bullpup Shoot at "The Site". Over 300 rounds of various 115gr and 124gr ammo including hollow points. Not a single failure of any kind. Recoil is unbelievably absent and staying on target is incredibly easy. I love it.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:36:52 AM by wriggly »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 02:05:07 AM »
Recoil is unbelievably absent and staying on target is incredibly easy. I love it.

Exactly how I felt !,  minus the problems with the Gen 1.

If you look at wriggly's pic, the  bbl is literally slightly below the web of his hand.    It does have modest recoil,  but next to no muzzle flip with 9mm 124gr SD ammo.

but,  I  feel the same as IDescribe does about not trusting Remington.  I'd sure like to have a good one for carry AND gun-games fun. ::)

Offline twowheels

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
1SOW, when are you going to get another one?

Offline jertex

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 08:54:26 AM »
I own a Remington R1 Carry Commander 1911 and it's an excellent pistol, but the problems have been so pronounced on these latest efforts at a concealed carry pistol that I'm not willing to spend my time & hard-earned money on something that seems to have such a high percentage of failures. There are just too many excellent options on the market that work. When I pick up a Glock or a Ruger or an M&P Shield, I have complete confidence that it's just going to shoot every time with virtually any ammo. Even the cheap Taurus guns seem to be better made and more reliable. Remington is just not the gun maker that they used to be and until they get their act together, I'm not buying their products.
CZCustom PCR Pro-Tek I, CZ SP01 Tactical, Dan Wesson Revolvers, other handguns & long guns

Offline dominic135

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 08:54:01 PM »
Held one last week at our range/dealer. I loved the look at the first write up and couldn't get over how perfect it looked for concealment.
The salesman put it in my hand and I pulled the trigger once! It may look good and it may be as accurate as they say but, it felt like a squirt gun and I lay it down carefully, thanked the salesman and got away from that counter! Sorry, I have a hard time with plastic in guns! I like 'em heavy, powerful and metal please... than you very much! Plastic triggers are feaky!

Offline Purekoryo

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 10:18:04 PM »
I've noticed there were many discounts on these guns and offerings from Remington. Wonder what's going on with their quality dept.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 10:24:46 PM »
Some of the same when the 9mm R51 Gen 1 came out.  It does sound like there's been some progress beyond ZERO Q.C. ,  but some of the original problems are found with the Gen 2 owners.  Apparently,  it can be shot now. ::)

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »
Have folks had any long-term experiences with the revised R51 yet?  Has this proved to be a reliable weapon? :)

Ruger rimfire fan

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 05:26:23 AM »
Have folks had any long-term experiences with the revised R51 yet?  Has this proved to be a reliable weapon? :)

Not sure anyone around here has one. I was talking with a local dealer who sold a few when the 2nd run was re-issued and he said the buyers were very unhappy with them and he will not be stocking them anymore. He also stated he would not even bother to special order one for any body. I think the R51 is a dead horse.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »
You can still get the R51.  There is even a Crimson Trace model available. 

We ordered one for a customer when they were first "re-released."  The serial number on his said it was an old model.  We called Remington and they said the serial number left the factory something like a month before we received it.  They said they had to retro-fit some of the older frames.  He shot it, and it had all the problems the original R51 had.  He contacted Remington and we sent it back.  They replaced the gun with a different serial numbered gun.  It also exhibited problems. 

I don't know if he kept it or sent it down the road, but he didn't trust it at all.  We won't order one for anyone else, either.

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 09:47:47 AM »
Thanks for the info!  That's unfortunate to hear it still has issues; I was hoping Remington had resolved matters.  It seems  to be a pretty neat design.

Ruger rimfire fan