Author Topic: Tanfoglio/EAA Witness Successes  (Read 187082 times)

Offline BrazeauRacing

• Brazeau Racing
Re: Tanfoglio/EAA Witness Successes
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2015, 11:50:43 PM »
I've acquired three Tanfoglios so far, and all three are USPSA and IDPA game guns. Great looking and performing guns.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2015, 01:46:27 AM »
Very Nice Open Class Pistols you have there!  8) Welcome to the Forum!  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline SteveinKC

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2015, 07:59:36 AM »
If you have gotten good service from your Tanfoglio or other clones of the CZ designed pistols, time to stand up and be counted.  I want to hear about:
1.) Accuracy
2.) Feeding Reliability with hollowpoints or semi-wadcutters
3.) Target Matches you placed well in or game you have killed
4.) Use as home defensive arm or CCW
5.) Any other comments you may have

1st Range Trip for two clones, as well as two smaller carry guns, and I am happy to say after 300 combined rounds of 9mm and about 30 rounds of .22, not a single misfire, misfeed, etc from any of the four Canik Stingray (safe queen and range king), Witness P 9/22 Combo (for the SHTF kit), Ruger LC9s (daily carry) and SCCY CPX2 (car gun).

I shot the CPX first as I had one before and knew it was the longest springiest trigger, then my new daily carry the LC9s and its striker fired trigger was soooo much better. 

But then, I picked up the Canik and fired the first shot, boy what a smooth shooter and the sights fall right back on the target so nicely because of the weight of being all steel.  So smooth, the trigger wasn't even a thought, just bang bang bang every time the sights came back to the target. I could feel the difference in accuracy and when I didn't have to pull the target back to see the rather large keyhole developing around the bull! Marvelous range gun, too heavy to carry without a pistol belt but a marvelous gun, smooth, accurate, dependable.  Fired it with both Winchester White Box 115 FMJ and Federal Classic JHP in 9mm.  Love it.

Then it was the Witness' turn, deadly accurate just like its cousin the Stingray given they both use the same CZ inspired design. Not quite as heavy given that its polymer, although I had the 19 round mag in it at the time.  Again it was smooth enough the trigger wasn't even a thought, SA was beautiful on both, as was accuracy because that keyhold in the middle kept getting bigger and I was firing as rapidly as the sights came back on target with all four guns.  Again no issues with either White Box of JHPs and these were all out of the box guns, with nothing but a simple break down, wipe off, boresnake and lube on the rails.  Then I switched slides to the 22 conversion, fired off 3 mags of 10 rounds of value pack Federal 40g without a hitch, so then I thought what the heck and tried 10 rounds of subsonic and again, went pop instead of bang, ten times in a row.

I tell people the Canik Stingray is the nicest gun you've never heard of and I mean it.  The utility of the 9/22 and low cost ($360) will keep the Witness P Combo in my bugout vest too!

Offline IronArcher

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »
While I just started shooting my Limited Pro, so far it has been impressive.

Using both hollow point defense ammo and FMJ practice stuff I am hitting 1.5" targets reliably with both at 25 yards.

Would probably be much better with a sand bag or something

Left is HP
Right is FMJ
Center is both

1/2 size archer target, with is 1.5" X is .75"

Was using this to adjust sights....hence some high, some lower, but still grouping.
Not earth shattering yet, but this is my first semi auto that wasn't a .22 LOL!

Offline mrmackc

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2016, 11:46:48 AM »

I never owned a CZ or a clone before I bought a EAA Witness Compact Semi Auto Pistol .40 S&W 3.6" Barrel 12 Rounds Rubber Grip Steel Wonder Finish 999098 2015 and had a problem with it out of the box, The recoil springs (inner coil and outer coil springs) The slide was so strong I couldn't get it back far enough for the slide lock to engage. I called about the  springs and the warrenty and was told to send the pistol in pay for the shipping and enclose a 20 dollar check for return shipping, and they would "look at it"  I was a gunsmith for 30 years and am now retired and I didn't renew my FFL, sorry, but that isn't what I call a warrenty. I polished the Slide rails with a hard Arkansas stone ,just a few strokes, and the top od the hammer. The slide works fine without the two springs but completely collapsed there is no way the slide would go back far enough to lock or chamber a cartridge.  I ended up removing the inner coil spring and cut off 3 coils from the factory outer spring  in order to get the slide 1//8 of an inch behint the slide lock and ordered a calibration spring set from Wolff.

Has anyone else had that same problem and what did they do to correct the problem? 
Life is a long winding trail, ride a good horse, keep your powder dry, and trust in Jesus as your Lord and Savior.

Offline grumpycomputerguy

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2016, 07:15:55 PM »
This is my first post on here in a long time and it was under another moniker I think.  I started "messing" with CZs and Witnesses about 15 years ago as they fit my hands and body very well.  I have owned 45, 40, 9mm, large and small frame Tanfoglios.  A few years ago I purchased a Tanfoglio Witness compact/government model in 9mm.  The S/N is AE17***.  It was/is in pretty good shape, blue, factory sights, DA/SA trigger, etc.  I bought some Mecgar magazines as I like those a lot,   found my CZ model all leather O'Rourke holster and started carrying it.  About 18 months ago, I decided to convert it to SA only and read a lot before attempting the project.  I purchased a trigger from EAA, and started fitting the SA trigger to the compact 9mm.  This is a small frame BTW.   Here are the pics of the finished project.  It is NOT a project for the in-experienced gunsmith.  This is advanced and I probably got another white hair or two from rubbing my chin working on this project.  The result is an outstanding SA, 9mm, double stack pistol.
I carry this one every day, with 9mm flat points and small cavity hollow points (alternating), 147gr only.   I have carried Sigs, Glocks, CZs, and more.  While I don't consider this a battlefield pistol, it is a wonderful CCW pistol for me.  I will not do the conversion for someone else as it is much too time consuming.
grumpycomputerguy.

Trying to figure out how to attach photos.  Soon I hope.
most guns out shoot most people

Addendum: This one is old enough to not have a firing pin block.  I also polished the feed ramp, lightly chamfered the outside edges of the chamber, and generally smoothed up the action surfaces inside the gun.  Not a mirror polish but knocked off the rough edges.  The trigger is adjustable for overtravel and creep.  I have both set a little loose so there is a slight noticeable creep in the trigger and it overtravels just a little to make sure of the reset.  It's a carry gun and not a target pistol.

https://goo.gl/photos/NR8DCsUGHquRfFyM7   
https://goo.gl/photos/KFxUdJY7QS3hNcBY9

[size=78%]Thanks to jwc007 for the hints for pic posting.  Much appreciated.  And I agree with the quote.  Personally seen 9mm results.  [/size]

Correction:  I have a correction to make regarding my Witness Compact carry description.  This compact with S/N AE17**** did come from the factory with a firing pin block.  I did remove the FPB.  Not trying to start an argument.  I just like simple and understand that things can malfunction.  I have a full size Tanfoglio Mossad in 9mm that does not have a FPB from the factory and it is my full size carry when needed.  Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:06:12 AM by grumpycomputerguy »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2016, 08:10:09 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!  8)

Trying to figure out how to attach photos.  Soon I hope.

Very simple really.

1) Get a Pic Host account such as Imageshack, Photobucket, or Hunt101.com, the latter which I use.
2) Upload your Pics to your Pic Host Gallery
3) Copy ( keyboard - Ctrl+c ) the Forum Pic Link you get from Your host
4) Paste ( keyboard - Ctrl+v ) the Forum Pic Link into Your post
5) Click on "Save" when done editing

Of course the trick with Photobucket is to just click the "IMG" code, which automatically copies the pic link to your Computer, and all you have to do is Paste ( keyboard Ctrl + v ) into your post.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline 10mikemike

« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
I recently bought a new Witness Match and put about 400 rounds through it for break in. The gun performed flawlessly with all ammo fed to it. So far so good, however the factory recoil spring was significantly deformed by this point.

I then installed the Hennings basic upgrade kit (firing pin/spring, guide rod, 18# recoil spring, and reduced power trigger plunger spring and hammer spring). Success! The gun exhibited perfect function even with low powered ammo (like HSM 1150FPS 200 grain FMJ) and 100% ignition with the kit installed. However, the improvements really draw attention to the side-to-side slop in the factory trigger that is truly unbecoming of an otherwise entry level "Match" pistol.

Note: the factory trigger return (torsion) spring was not upgraded and does not appear to be offered by Hennings Shop. I ordered the 25% reduced power CZ75 trigger return spring offered by Cajun Gun Works. Hopefully this is a high reliability replacement part with a slight reduction in trigger pull should I keep the factory trigger. I also ordered Cajun's CZ75 floating trigger pin and slave pin, although I'm not certain it will work at least without fitting. If anyone has experience with "drop in" adjustable CZ75 triggers (or even just something that presents less slop) that work in a Witness Match, please let me know and thanks in advance!
Rifle velocities in your handgun! I shoot Liberty Civil Defense Ammunition in all calibers! (No I don't work for them!)

Avatar: M110A2 8-inch SP Howitzer

Offline jertex

« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2016, 08:54:16 AM »
I purchased a polymer frame, Baby Eagle semi-compact (3.93" barrel) 9mm in early 2000's as my second handgun and the gun is extremely accurate. Used it for my CHL test here in Texas and had about a 3" ragged hole in the dead center of the silhouette target with only a 6 or 8 fliers that were certainly my poor shooting. The gun is just flat out accurate and a nice, steady shooter with very light felt recoil. There are 3 negatives, however, one of which has had me thinking about selling it or trading it:

#3 - Lack of holsters, general aftermarket accessories, but this has actually gotten better the last couple of years with the Canik/Tristar clones becoming so popular & the re-intro of the gun by IWI.

#2 - The initial reach to the trigger, when de-cocked, is a tad long for me.

and #1 - The decocker on the slide rather than on the frame. This is a big issue and is the one that makes me think about getting rid of it. If you want to rack the slide when reloading, it can rip your hand big time if you're not extremely deliberate and it just hurts, even when you are deliberate. It's not the end of the world, but it's annoying enough to make me think about parting ways. The only thing stopping me is that it's such a good shooter.

CZCustom PCR Pro-Tek I, CZ SP01 Tactical, Dan Wesson Revolvers, other handguns & long guns

Offline NineN10mm

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
@10mikemike
I replaced the Trigger Return Spring with one Reduced Power from CGW.  It works well.  I'm keeping it in !!  I highly recommend it.

Offline jdeko

« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »
I passed my CCW test with a 10mm Witness and my accuracy floored me. Those 4 fliers where from having to shoot on the move which means 8 of those other holes where from moving whilst shooting as well. Only stoppages I've had were during that test when I was petrified and I've shot a lot of different hollow points with no issues.

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
I have a Witness P series 9mm. Got it in March 2017, broke the left front guide rail 13 Feb. 2018. Got it back today and it is repaired and just as accurate as ever.
It is as accurate as any of my CZs, Sigs or any other brand except for my RIA 1911 9mm.
It is easy to shoot well.
Eats everything I feed it.
Very good pistol and only cost $320 OTD at the local Rural King.
"1776" - Part II

Offline Barebow

« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2018, 12:35:18 PM »

If you have gotten good service from your Tanfoglio or other clones of the CZ designed pistols, time to stand up and be counted.  I want to hear about:
1.) Accuracy
2.) Feeding Reliability with hollowpoints or semi-wadcutters
3.) Target Matches you placed well in or game you have killed
4.) Use as home defensive arm or CCW
5.) Any other comments you may have

I tell people the Canik Stingray is the nicest gun you've never heard of and I mean it.  The utility of the 9/22 and low cost ($360) will keep the Witness P Combo in my bugout vest too!

Couldn't find one when I was looking. Picked up a 45 steel Witness Compact , no complaints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline champe

« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2018, 10:53:41 AM »
Got a 10mm EAA Witness Hunter recently.  It has a 6" barrel and is SAO.  Very accurate with no feeding issues. Have shot S&B "FBI loads"  as well as some 170 grain lead target handloads and some hot 180 grain JHP handloads.  It was supplied with 3 springs, but I am still using the one that came in it.  Am not noticing any battering but I have not tried the crazy hot stuff from Underwood yet.

Offline Slingin9mm

« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2018, 07:31:01 AM »
https://imgur.com/AQSzNAu

Picke this up a few days ago myself, Magazine was kind jinky. Got a new spring for it & a newer Mec-gar mag. Hopefully that helps with the failures to feed issues. Cannot wait to get back on the range to shoot this again. Such a real smooth shooting pistol.

anything