Author Topic: Baldrage's reloading log  (Read 22766 times)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Baldrage's reloading log
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
Based on plunk test results with my SP01 Shadow, I am using 1.10 OAL for the PD 124 gr JHP.

See... http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

I also use 1.100" in my SP-01 for that same bullet. $89/1000 when you buy 2000 or more. Very hard to beat the price or accuracy.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2018, 04:18:30 PM »
What I did over Christmas vacation ... finally got around to installing a DIY spent-primer system for my Dillon SDB.  Have reloaded about 400 rounds or so since I put it together, and it works great.  I figure that 1 gal OJ jug will hold four or five thousand spent primers.

SDB spent primer by baldrage, on Flickr

Also did a top-to-bottom cleaning and lubrication of the SDB, and cleaned off my bench -- long over-due.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »
Playing around with some new loads and will hopefully get a chance to try these out this week:

Feb 2018 reloads by baldrage, on Flickr 

On the left, SNS 125 gr CN.  These have a nice narrow profile to fit in our CZs, I was able to plunk at 1.125 or thereabouts.  Made up a ladder of Win 231 from 3.9 - 4.2 gr.

On the right, my first-ever .40 reloads:  RMR 165 gr RNFP, 1.125 OAL, WSF 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3 gr.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
FWIW, the SNS 125 gr Conical Nose work very nicely for anyone in the market for coated bullets.  The profile is long and narrow -- plunked out to 1.125 - 1.130 in my SP01 Shadow.  Smokier than jacketed bullets, but not excessive, and the "burnt wire" smell common to coated bullets was much fainter than my previous experience with Blue Bullets.  I finished up my 100-bullet sample pack and will be ordering more.  Pic below is just from testing function and recoil; off-hand at only 7 yards, but accurate enough to merit testing at longer ranges against my PD 124 gr JHPs. 

SNS 125 vs RMR 124 by baldrage, on Flickr

I also loaded some ladders of SNS 180 gr RNFP with Titegroup and WSF, playing around with ".40 lite" loads.  Recoil with 3.0 gr TG was very soft, somewhere between .22 and 9mm.  Unfortunately, TG is so dirty that my slide won't lock back after about 50 rounds with TG.  The WSF in 4.2 - 4.6 gr range was promising, recoil about equal to 9mm.  I ordered 500 more 180 gr RNFP bullets and will try out some additional WSF and Win 231 loads.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
Blue bullets is a different coating entirely.  Shouldn?t smell the same.  I?d be interested for you to put the calipers or micrometer on those.  I put a micrometer on mine, and they were a little undersized ? between .355 and .356.  Should be .356.

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
You might want to invest a few $ in a strong mount after a few hundred rounds sitting in front of your SD you may find standing works a lot better. Standing also lets you see whats going on and you can keep an eye on the powder level of each case. I have been reloading for over 40 years and now have 5 progressive machines all mounted on quick change plates about 40" above the floor. Good luck and have fun making accurate quality ammo with your new Dillon SD.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
Blue bullets is a different coating entirely.  Shouldn?t smell the same.  I?d be interested for you to put the calipers or micrometer on those.  I put a micrometer on mine, and they were a little undersized ? between .355 and .356.  Should be .356.

Yes, I distinctly remember measuring my sample pack of blue bullets back when I was first getting started, and mine also measured .355.  I also went back to my early notes and confirmed. 

All the SNS were right on at .356.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2018, 02:52:59 PM »
You might want to invest a few $ in a strong mount after a few hundred rounds sitting in front of your SD you may find standing works a lot better. Standing also lets you see whats going on and you can keep an eye on the powder level of each case. I have been reloading for over 40 years and now have 5 progressive machines all mounted on quick change plates about 40" above the floor. Good luck and have fun making accurate quality ammo with your new Dillon SD.

Hi, thanks for commenting.  Yes, I stand when I'm reloading.  The stool back there in the picture is for when I'm doing other stuff on my bench -- cleaning pistol, plunking rounds, etc.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2018, 03:50:18 PM »

Yes, I distinctly remember measuring my sample pack of blue bullets back when I was first getting started, and mine also measured .355.  I also went back to my early notes and confirmed. 

All the SNS were right on at .356.

Gotcha.  Most of my SNS have been on at .356, but my 125gr Cone Nose were not.

anything