Author Topic: PCR vs Compact. Is the Compacts extra weight a deal breaker  (Read 3614 times)

Offline gryphon

PCR vs Compact. Is the Compacts extra weight a deal breaker
« on: September 25, 2016, 02:00:55 PM »
While shopping (online) for a PCR I come across a lot of 75 Compacts. They look nice (about like the PCR) but I can't help thinking about that extra 3/8 of a pound difference in weight. The compact is virtually the same weight as my full size Beretta although in a more compact package. For those of you who own both the PCR and the Compact, does the extra weight of the Compact really jump out at you. I know the obvious solution is to handle both but that would be a several hundred mile adventure that I just don't have the time for. I like the idea of the extra weight for rapidly getting back on target but don't need any more bulky pistols. Honestly I would hold out for a PCR but I have always really liked the look of the compact two tones. I don't often carry but when I do it is a Smith J frame .357. I would like to own a smallish semi auto though that could be comfortably carried if I chose to do so. When I do carry my Smith it's OWB and would prefer to carry my semi auto the same way.

Offline Boris_LA

Re: PCR vs Compact. Is the Compacts extra weight a deal breaker
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 05:19:27 PM »
I have both PCR and all steel compact. Extra weight of the compact makes it shooting comfortably almost like my full size CZs in the range. Both very accurate too. I don't carry handgun, but if i did, i would carry the PCR because its lighter and i would not expect to shoot it weekly at the range beyond initial breaking in. Still both compacts spend most of their time in the safe while my full size guns making regular trips to the range.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:32:35 PM »
I own both and carry both and have no qualms with the extra weight of the compact over the PCR. I use an owb pancake style holster and a good belt. I can carry either one all day comfortably .
I can also shoot either one equally well so there is no issue with confidence in one over the other.
I will say I carry a stainless J frame .357 on occasion but honestly if I'm going to cinch up my belt that extra notch to hold a gun in place I'd prefer the range and capacity of one of the CZ's 99.99% of the time.

Offline Jaems

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 06:11:12 PM »
 A few ounces over the PCR with the compact doesn't really make that much of a difference to me.  It's not so much the weight.   But do you want a decocker or a safety.   I like the PCR because a prefer a decocker over safety.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 09:39:22 PM »
Kind of surprised the same weight as the Al frame, open barrel Beretta!  A steel compact of smaller dimensions should be easier to handle!

I like my relatively new PCR, but a Compact could be next on my list.  I like its slide with no front serrations or chamber loaded indicator.  I also like the thinner steel frame at least for looks.  I don't feel materially hampered by the Al frame PCR.  Manually decocking safely to half cock is easy, and I like that once decocked, the safety versions of CZ will NOT engage said safety during this hammer down DA first shot unlike the Beretta FS M9 series or Canik/Tristar.

I dont really care for a rail, but shooting a friend's PO1 really turned me onto CZ.  You really can't go wrong as we are just splitting hairs here!

Offline sigken

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:56:36 PM »
I think if you plan to carry, then I'd go with the PCR. I have a PCR and the decocker comes in handy too.

Offline HBeretta

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »
just get a p01 omega.  it may be a few ounces heavier because of the aluminum frame but wanted this to help with recoil; for smooth shooting.  i'll tell you this...the gun gets noticeably better as you break it in...almost like night and day it seems.  i'm extremely impressed with the p01.  anyway, good luck...and look at it this way...it's a cz...you're going to be happy with it.

the pcr is 27.5oz and the p01 omega is 28.1oz...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:22:09 PM by HBeretta »

Offline aceman4

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 09:03:55 PM »
just get a p01 omega.

Agreed, if you could just find one available for sale.

Offline CZJ

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 07:43:30 AM »
Depends on the carry rig you have. Buy a quality belt maybe something lined with steel or polymer. It will help distribute the weight more evenly. The extra ounces in weight will be a non-issue.

Offline handgun2

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 07:17:16 PM »
hi,
been reading this for awhile.. it really is 'small potatoes'.   I LOVE my COMPACT, just shot 14rnds at 7yds, last 6 rnds in double tap.. basic string at left to right almost all connecting, with 2 flyers,  just north and south by an inch..  and me just working out on upper arm/wrist strengthening..   silly thing is original...  only makes me laugh if I put in upgrade trigger/etc.. by CZ or CGW= I work for neither.

anyways,  my P06 is just / more accurate due to CGW trigger/hammer kit/ frame rework..   but anyways.. trust me.. it was shooting fun w/ trembly hands.. bad / old eyesight.. and hitting things fast and furious / kinda like SHTF scenario>>,   trust me, you WONT even feel the few ounces when YOU PROBABLY MOST need something to balance out the shaking hands.. adrenaline rush stuff.. a light weight gun bouncing around out there when I NEED POINTING/AIMING the most..???  I am sure you get my drift..  anyways.. either is a great gun. CZ really is the comparison gun to all others due to ergo's, reliability, double strike capability. which to many ignore.. and yes, that means glock / type guns..

K in MI

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 06:16:13 PM »
For carry I went with the P-01 due to weight, I would have taken a  PCR just as fast but none were available.

Offline rt1121

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 11:51:38 PM »
The folks who have both.  I would think they are very similar.  Worth having both in your collection?  I have the PCR, but contemplating to get the Compact also.

Thoughts?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:19:21 AM by rt1121 »
Sig Sauer P229 Legion
Sig Sauer P226 SAO
Sig Sauer 1911 OD Green
Sig Sauer P238 Sport
CZ Compact w/Rail
CZ Steel SP-01 Compact
CZ 75D PCR (Getting Cajunized)
CZ Custom P07 Urban Gray
CZ SP-01 OD Green with Threaded Barrel
CZ Custom P01 OD Green
CZ Custom 75B Urban Gray
CZ Custom SDP
Armalite AR-15

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 12:46:07 AM »
The folks who have both.  I would think they gun is very similar.  Worth having both in your collection?  I have the PCR, but contemplating to get the Compact also.

Thoughts?  Thanks!
Yes. They are similar but very different in feel and handling.

Offline handgun2

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:57 PM »
Boris,

I respectfully disagree,  I find them VERY similar / almost identical in handling and feel.

Perhaps you can explain further, I may be misunderstanding your post.

respectfully,
K in MI

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 06:28:19 PM »
Boris,

I respectfully disagree,  I find them VERY similar / almost identical in handling and feel.

Perhaps you can explain further, I may be misunderstanding your post.

respectfully,
K in MI
It really depend on what you compare them with. If you handle CZ, compact or the full size after different brand (Glock, Beretta, S&W, SIG, etc...) they (CZs) will all have a lot of similarity or felt identical. But if you shot for many years mostly CZs in different variants full size and compacts, you start finding small differences in feel, weight balance, grip serrations, recoil impulse.
Felt weight difference and recoil feel between PCR and Steel compact is more noticeable then between Full-size CZ 75B (SA, BD) and CZ75 SP-01. Even between Steel CZ Compact and full size gun is less felt difference. I currently own 8 CZ pistols and shoot regularly 3-4 of them including in matches. I can instantly tell blindfolded which from CZ handguns I am holding based on the weight and balance feel even if they all have the same factory robber grip panels.
When you start shooting, the difference become unmistakable. Firing behavior of each is unique for me. It's less difference in feel then lets say between handing a Glock and top-heavy steel SIG, but its there.

Extended range session with PCR is more tiring then it is with any other CZ pistols i have except for CZ75B 40S&W which i don't like shooting.

anything