Author Topic: Military Arms Channel Pistol Testing - Thoughts?  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Military Arms Channel Pistol Testing - Thoughts?
« on: October 07, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »
    MAC (Military Arms Channel) has undertaken a pistol testing process and campaign of sorts. He tried to make it more standardized than what he had been doing, while still being somewhat practical. He seems to be fair in explaining that this isn't meant to represent full scale testing to see if these pistols would survive going along with an invasion force of d-day or anything. Keep in mind, he has responded to comments and feedback and his process has evolved slightly from the first test. 
    With that out of the way ya'll should go check them out. I wanted to start a thread to talk about the results and what you all think. I, for one, was surprised by the results of the Sig pistols. Shocked by the ARex1... and let down by the M&P. I'll post a few links in here to get started.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:30:11 AM by Scarlett Pistol »
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline KnightSchneider

Re: Military Arms Channel Pistol Testing - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 11:56:05 AM »
I like the testing process, and feel it is good information, though, as he states himself, a narrow sample of 1.  It is an interesting anecdotal bit of information.  Despite being a narrow sample of 1 pistol, I still think it can provide some insight into any inherent flaw or weakness with a particular pistol and its ability to handle some basic elemental intrusion.

MAC is very clear about all this as well - these videos should not be make or break about if you like or dislike a pistol - just another piece of data to be weighed as you see fit based on what you intend to do with your pistol.

I was pretty surprised by the Sig as well; I expected it to fare better.  Though, I've been issued a Sig P229 for about 10 years now; we replaced our aging fleet of circa 2005 pistols in 2012 due to frame cracking, and the 2012 Sigs are far inferior in fit, finish, and reliability from the older guns.  I'm on my 3rd 'new' pistol due to continuing untraceable failures to extract and eject.  I'm a Sig armorer, and can't find the problem - the only thing I can think is that there is some improper tolerance in the extractor spring and plunger channel causing erratic tension on the extractor.
Some will die in hot pursuit in fiery auto crashes.
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes.
Some will fall in love with life, and drink it from a fountain, that's pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Offline TScottW99

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 12:06:31 PM »
I like and enjoy the videos. I was surprised the M&P aqualocked so badly.
"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. And not to Democrats alone do I make this appeal, but to all who love these great and true principles"

- Abraham Lincoln

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »
I also, like and enjoy MAC's Videos, and find this type of testing to be interesting.

I would still feel well armed with a SIG Pistol, regardless of the outcomes, having owned a P220 and P226.

Bottom line, take care to keep your weapons out of the elements, other than air, if at all possible.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline LittleJenny

• Girls Like Guns, Too
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »
They're fun to watch but I'm not basing purchases on them. Of course the internet keyboard warriors freak out when their favorite pistol 'fails'. I take them for what they are, entertainment.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:16:34 PM »
I've watched the series since he started.  He was supposed to test a CZ on the last outing, but they ran out of daylight.

I think the testing is interesting, but I would never put my pistol into any of these situations if my life were on the line.  As with any "torture test" this is entertainment value only.

Offline slimjim

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 12:00:02 AM »
If u mention Mac/Tim on the H&K forum after his VP-9 test, u will be tarred & feathered and worse!

Offline Winkel

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
I like his channel and I think the reliability tests are interesting but I think that the tighter a gun is, the more likely it is to fail that test. 

Interesting stuff but it wouldn't deter me from buying the gun I want if all of the reviews are favorable. 

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 09:51:22 PM »
Those vids have too much beard in them
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 10:30:42 PM »

Grendel, hating on the beards?

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 11:19:49 PM »

;) Gots to have a beard to be a real operator!
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 11:36:41 PM »

;) Gots to have a beard to be a real operator!

You must be a gentleman with a mustache... That's my guess after picking on operator beards.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 01:38:35 AM »
Here's some further testing of that Rex Zero 1, for your viewing pleasure!  ;)

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 06:36:10 AM »
During the US Army testing of John Browning's 1911's some officers fired one (had enlisted guys loading magazines for them) till it got hot enough to seize up.  They looked at John and asked him what they were supposed to do with one that locked up from the heat of firing.  He took it from them, dunked it down in one of the dud barrels full of water, pulled it out, slapped a magazine in it and fired off 7 rounds down range.  Then he smiled at them, handed it back to them and went on watching the testing being done on other guns.

Not sure what they were lubed with (the old manuals called for whale oil) for those tests.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline RSR

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 05:05:02 PM »
In some of his videos he threw them into mud puddles in the woods...  That seemed to kill most guns tested (all rifles that I recall), and is probably one of the plausible abuse other than mud that he features in his videos as most water in austere environments isn't tap water fresh...

anything