Author Topic: A rare batch of SP-01 Compacts available  (Read 264253 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: A rare batch of SP-01 Compacts available
« Reply #1155 on: July 10, 2017, 09:27:49 PM »
Posted this group from a wrist rest today at 25 yards. I've never pulled that off before. These are some stupid accurate little pistols! Wish I could put this in a ransom rest to truly test it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That "look" is growing on me.  I'm already pricing the triggers/hammers, etc.  If I do one, I'll have to do both, to keep them the same.  Looks like the cost for upgrading two of them will be about the cost of another pistol.

If the youngest son says he's interested (that'll make these just like his CZ 75 SA that has become his favorite pistol) I guess I'll have to start ordering parts.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #1156 on: July 10, 2017, 09:53:22 PM »
I have one of these. It's marked cz75 compact and has the rail but it's all steel. I think from what I heard they didn't make a lot of these as most have the alloy frame. It's one of the smoothest shooting guns. Lot's of heft so absorbs recoil really well.
Seems like I may have kind of a rare bird as I have never seen these in their catalogs or online.
Anyone with more info would be greatly appreciated.

Start at the beginning of this thread. All the info you need

Offline Iluvboost

« Reply #1157 on: July 11, 2017, 02:23:21 PM »
Hey scarlett, what do you have done to yours? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck. Thinking of doing an srs kit with a hammer. I already have a sao trigger I'm gonna install.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #1158 on: July 12, 2017, 01:37:29 AM »
Hey scarlett, what do you have done to yours? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck. Thinking of doing an srs kit with a hammer. I already have a sao trigger I'm gonna install.

Before I make any suggestions, what are you looking to do with the pistol and what's most important to you? This will help me give you the best suggestions for the best BFYB.  My SAO was pretty purpose built...
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Iluvboost

« Reply #1159 on: July 12, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
Just a range toy but want reliability as well. I'm not a trigger snob but would like a nice trigger without breaking the bank. Only thing I have right now is the sao trigger.

Offline Genin

« Reply #1160 on: July 12, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
Iluvboost,
I really only did the SAO trigger, spacer (since I removed FPB), CGW trigger return spring, floating trigger pin, and polish. I am also not a trigger snob. I can say that my gun's trigger is good, but the single action still has some creep due to using the stock hammer. I could stone the sear and hammer interface to remove some of that, but in all honesty it's pretty darn good how it is now. I'd say that if you want a super light and super crisp trigger pull you'll probably want the race hammer too. If you are like me and think it's pretty darn good without it and only has minor creep then you'd be happy with what you basically already have.

Either way, I'd do the conversion with the trigger and then shoot it and see if you want to do changes.

Offline Genin

« Reply #1161 on: July 12, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »
Ok, ignore what I said above lol. I decided to take a closer look at my pistol. I found that the creep was also hammer camming. I took my time and carefully stoned my hammer and sear (thank god for YouTube). Now there is seriously no creep and it's awesome. If you are decent at smithing and patient you may get away with not buying the race hammer.

You can see the stoned sear surface:

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #1162 on: July 12, 2017, 11:23:20 PM »
Just a range toy but want reliability as well. I'm not a trigger snob but would like a nice trigger without breaking the bank. Only thing I have right now is the sao trigger.

For a Range Toy SAO here's my recommendations.

Remove the Firing Pin Block System. You can find that and all the other tutorials here:
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85985.0

The parts I'd recommend:
CGW's Floating Trigger Pin (Makes putting everything back together so much easier)
https://cajungunworks.com/product/tr-pin-cgws-exclusive-floating-trigger-pin/

Spacer (takes the place of the lifter arm you'll remove)
https://cajungunworks.com/product/s-spacer-sear-spacer/

CGW's Firing Pin Retaining Pin (a big improvement over the OEM part, it goes in all my CZ's)
https://cajungunworks.com/product/61100-tempered-spring-steel-firing-pin-retaining-pin/

CZ Custom Competition Hammer or the CGW Race Hammer
https://cajungunworks.com/product/10035-dc-production-legal-competition-hammer/
https://cajungunworks.com/product/manual-safety-blue-steel-hammer/

CGW Hammer Pin
https://cajungunworks.com/product/hpin/

Reduced Power Trigger Return Spring
https://cajungunworks.com/product/rp-trs-reduced-power-trigger-return-spring/

Notes:
The Race or Competition Hammers have a huge impact on the trigger pull weight and break of Single Action. No need to get the extended firing pins, lighter firing pin spring, and what not to then get a lighter hammer spring. You'll get a trigger around 2.5 lbs to 3.5 lbs depending on which hammer you go with.

You don't have to get the floating trigger pin... but it is a huge convenience. The Reduced Power Trigger Return Spring is cheap and drops a half pound, but you can same a few bucks with that.

Now... you do have to fit the sear or the safety with those hammers. CGW has an adjustable sear if you don't feel mechanically inclined.
https://cajungunworks.com/product/as-b/
But it is a few bucks, and there are tutorials available (including one on that list of videos). Oh, wait... CGW has a ring hammer that is supposed to be a drop in part. I think the trigger pull is heavier than their Race hammer by a few ounces, but I haven't tested that. It's an option if you want to avoid fitting the sear.
https://cajungunworks.com/product/80006-ring-hammer-only/

I'm out of town, so I have short spurts to get on. Had to write this throughout the day. Let me know if it makes sense and helps or raises more questions.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #1163 on: July 12, 2017, 11:32:02 PM »
Ok, ignore what I said above lol. I decided to take a closer look at my pistol. I found that the creep was also hammer camming. I took my time and carefully stoned my hammer and sear (thank god for YouTube). Now there is seriously no creep and it's awesome. If you are decent at smithing and patient you may get away with not buying the race hammer.

You can see the stoned sear surface:
Nice work! Just be careful on the face of the sear that engages the hammer hooks. Anything beyond polishing and you may see more rapid degradation of the edge, leading to hammer follow. There's fellows on here who have a lot of experience smithing and they recommend just getting the new hammers. Not that what you did is impossible, it's just a lot more prone to problems for the majority of DIY'ers. The CGW and CZC hammers not only have shorter hooks but different geometry as well. CGW hammers are so well manufactured that they have a lifetime warranty. Keep an eye for the wearing on the edge of the sear face as the round count progresses. If I remember reading in some older threads a gent experienced hammer follow after 5k rounds... Might have been 10k... Again, very nice work, way to get after it!

Offline Genin

« Reply #1164 on: July 13, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
Scarlett,

Thank you. Yes you are right, I've heard of the same problems you had mentioned. I promise the stoning was minimal and fit was checked throughout. You would honestly be surprised how far a minimal stoning to improve the interfacing and polishing goes in improving the trigger. None the less, I will certainly be watching as you said. Thank you for the warning.

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #1165 on: July 13, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
Oh man, now you guys have me wanting to convert mine over to SAO...

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #1166 on: July 13, 2017, 06:09:47 PM »
Scarlett,

Thank you. Yes you are right, I've heard of the same problems you had mentioned. I promise the stoning was minimal and fit was checked throughout. You would honestly be surprised how far a minimal stoning to improve the interfacing and polishing goes in improving the trigger. None the less, I will certainly be watching as you said. Thank you for the warning.

I'm always curious how guys stone their hammer hooks. Can you share a pic of the "stone"  you use? How do you get it in such a little spot?

Offline Genin

« Reply #1167 on: July 13, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »
Yes. I only used a fine polishing stone that I use for my knives. Like I said, I only did minimal with polishing. I'll snap some pics later.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #1168 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »
Well, just ordered a bunch of parts from Cajun Gun Works to convert one of the SP01 Compacts to SAO.

Only part they didn't have was the straight SA trigger.

Tried to order it from CZ Custom but got a message that all the customer passwords had been reset and they'd e-mail me a new one if I used the "reset password" button.  Tried that two or three times, waited about 2 or 3 hrs. and got impatient (you know me) so I ordered one from CZ USA instead.

Also ordered another Pre B "style" hammer (in case I decide to upgrade the second SP01 for me - I like the spur hammer and dog gone if it didn't do wonders for the SA trigger pull on my project CZ Compact).

Should get it all together here in a week or so once the parts get here and I get the installed. 

Already have a CGW match barrel bushing (used one on my youngest son's CZ 75 SA) and set of Meprolight night sights for the Compact, too.  Maybe we ought to shoot it first though.  It might not really need the match  bushing.  My wife's CZ 75 Compact didn't.  We'll see.  Sounds like an excuse for a range trip early next week.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #1169 on: July 20, 2017, 09:20:54 PM »
Ahhh yeah! Another project pistol from M1A4ME

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk