Author Topic: shadow 2 vs shadow 1  (Read 26982 times)

Offline jamesbonomo73

shadow 2 vs shadow 1
« on: October 19, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »
Does anyone think that shadow 1 has better recoil management than shadow 2?

???????? ??? ?? GT-I9301I ??? ??????????????? Tapatalk

Offline Canuck44

Re: shadow 2 vs shadow 1
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »
Why do you ask?  The Shadow2 weighs about 7 oz more than the regular Shadow so felt recoil should be reduced. 

I doubt many who buy the gun will find they shoot any better with the Shadow2 because there is more to shooting IPSC/USPSA than controlling recoil minutely better.  Then there is the slightly longer sight radius, ;) all for about $600Cdn+ taxes more than the original Shadow was selling for.  Barnum and Bailey lives on.   That equates to about $100 an ounce.  LOL

The gun is a heavy brick with a frame virtually identical to the Tanfoglio Stock 111.   I just picked up a virtually new Shadow for $250 less than retail because the owner thinks he will be able to shoot way better with the Shadow2.   My bet is his scores will remain the same or actually lose ground due to the guns weight.  Having the newest and the bestest is not always the truest.   ;D

The existing Shadow has won more IPSC Production Matches around the world than any other pistol.  Why B and C class shooters would expect to shoot better with the new Shadow2 escapes me.   Just saying.  But hey, there is something about ego and strutting about with the newest and bestest on the hip.

CZ takes removing money from willing buyers pockets to an art form.   Just saying.

Take Care

Bob   
Je Suis Charlie

Offline jamesbonomo73

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »
I'm beginning this discussion because I bought a shadow 2 and it doesn't recoil better than shadow 1...in fact I'm trying to find which set of springs suits the gun more to fix this problem. I have the black finish with the blue grips(the finish is quite slippery)...The only thing  I'm satisfied is that it has a better trigger

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 12:55:11 PM »
You must fell less sharpness in the recoil do you not.  7 ounces is a lot of extra weight.  Going to a lighter recoil spring might bring the gun down faster for you if that is the issue.  For what it is worth by last count I own 16 pistols I use in IDPA mostly.  I don;t shoot any one gun better than another as evidenced by my Classifier scores.  I really don't believe the Shadow2 is going to make anyone a better shooter except perhaps the guys at the top who actually can take advantage of the small improvements the Shadow2 might bring to the table. 

I am not surprised you have not found any significant improvement in the recoil control.  Mostly that is on you I am afraid.  I am sure you know that.  Bob Vogel suggests a lighter recoil spring will help bring the gun barrel down faster in his video on shooting so you might try it.  Seems to work well for him and it might for you.  I think he mentiuoned a 11# spring but don't quote me on that.

Take Care

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

Offline jamesbonomo73

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 01:36:26 PM »
I'm a A class shooter and I had  a shadow 1 that I truly loved...so buying a shadow 2 with all those improvements it was quite a disappointment that it wasn't a sweeter gun...I put a 11# recoil spring & a 13# hammer spring and kind of fixed the problem.
If I could turn back time I would have bought a cz shadow orange  instead   

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 04:21:06 PM »
Post your experience on canadiangunnutze forum.  I figured most would discover what you did.  Nothing wrong with the regular Shadow for most shooters.  I was surprised how heavy the Shadow2 is.  To heavy for IDPA which is what I shoot mostly.   Folks will buy it and some certainly will love the gun.   There is an almost new Canadian Edition on the EE for $1,500.  Seems like a lot to me for Orange grips and base plates but that is just me.  Why not take a look at the SP-01 Shadowline.  It is new about $600 less than a new Canadian Edition and really the same gun without the orange grips and base plates.  I went with the 75 Shadowline and it is one sweet pistol.

Take Care

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

Offline jamesbonomo73

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
Thanks for the discussion and good shooting
James

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »
Dang, that's really unfortunate to hear... though I guess that means I don't need to spend as much on my next gun?

Offline jamesbonomo73

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 08:07:11 AM »
Before you buy it go shoot it first...I had higher expectations of the gun. ..but I'm always looking for perfection

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 12:42:33 AM »
I highly doubt I'll ever be able to shoot a Shadow 2 before I purchase it. Only have one range near me, and they don't carry CZ. Not to mention, I imagine stores won't be picking up Shadow 2s for their rental armory very soon in the US.

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 10:42:58 PM »
I highly doubt I'll ever be able to shoot a Shadow 2 before I purchase it. Only have one range near me, and they don't carry CZ. Not to mention, I imagine stores won't be picking up Shadow 2s for their rental armory very soon in the US.

My advice is don't buy it unless you can shoot it first and only if you shoot IPSC or maybe USPSA.  The gun is 48 oz. empty and is heavy.  To heavy for IDPA. 

CZ-USA doesn't seem to import many. if any, regular Shadows.  They are a great buy and have been winning major IPSC matches world wide for years.   The Shadow2 fframe is almost identical to the Tanfoglio Stock3.  The gun is every bit as heavy.   For most I think the 85 Combat or regular Shadow are much better buys.  I think we are going to see a bunch of Shadow2's for sale up here over the next six months.  Sometimes newer is not always better for the average shooter.

Take Care

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 11:07:28 PM »
Yea, I've got a CZ 85C already. I would loveeee a TS, felt so good in my hands.

I have zero intention of buying new though after seeing the price of used guns. And now that I'm pretty confident with gunsmithing!

Offline Shadow2

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »
Shoot the same I can see, recoil worse ... that's interesting.

Offline Shadow2

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »
Curious about finish, Did you get the Nitride or the PolyCoat. How is the fit.

I'm beginning this discussion because I bought a shadow 2 and it doesn't recoil better than shadow 1...in fact I'm trying to find which set of springs suits the gun more to fix this problem. I have the black finish with the blue grips(the finish is quite slippery)...The only thing  I'm satisfied is that it has a better trigger

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:00:45 PM by Shadow2 »

Offline copemech

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »
I seldom read this section because I do not shoot comps, but I am glad I did. I had been wanting a sp01 Shadow for a while and could not find one. After seeing the release info on the shadow 2 it did look awesome, but the weight spec was heavy and the cost an added 500 bucks for a black one, jeez. A brick in the hand AND the wallet.

Well, I know that shadow 2 aint gonna make me a better shooter, so when after reading the confirmations listed here and spotting a new Shadow 1 popping up on gunbroker for 839.00, I decided to save the 500.00 difference for ammo! O0

Maybe I'll spring for some blue grips!

Thanks guys