Author Topic: Stripping and re-finishing the 97b  (Read 3256 times)

Offline schmeky

Re: Stripping and re-finishing the 97b
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 10:05:59 PM »
do you know if the 85c mag release will fit the 97b? Or give some measurments of length and diameter

I am trying to remember if the 85C mag release is round on the LH side.  If so, yes it will.

Great job on the refinish!!  I love a rebuild, refinish, custom project.  What's next? 

Offline dreith92

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »

I wiped it down, used some carnuba wax to finish her off before I install the rest of the parts, I havent ordered any parts yet as I have an oppertunity to buy a custom shop 97b...which is appealing. However that may mean giving up my Dan Wesson Bruin! But a custom shop 97 is a once in a while item!.

SP-01 (cajunized), SP-01 tactical Urban gray supressor ready, kadet II kit, P-01(cajunized), Tactical Sport 9mm, CZ97B, Tristar T-120(cajunized), Dan Wesson Bruin .45acp, Scorpion EVO pistol, Bren 805 Carbine

LIFE IS A DYING BATTLE, KILL IT IN KINDNESS.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 09:03:13 PM »
Frame is looking good. I finished the SAO conversion on mine this morning. I want a few trips with it to the range then the slide goes to CGW.. Whats been done to the CZC 97?  Would be tough giving up a Bruin..

Offline dreith92

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 09:18:28 PM »
Hard? Yea considering I already have, but im not exactly sure what was done to it.

I have been going back and forth on going SAO. The trigger just looks good. But I do like sa/da. I dont believe there to be any bebifit from SAO is there?
SP-01 (cajunized), SP-01 tactical Urban gray supressor ready, kadet II kit, P-01(cajunized), Tactical Sport 9mm, CZ97B, Tristar T-120(cajunized), Dan Wesson Bruin .45acp, Scorpion EVO pistol, Bren 805 Carbine

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 10:07:52 PM »
I think the benefit is simplicity and cost. To get the same trigger weight and short reset on a DA/SA requires more parts, springs, and fitting/tuning. I converted my 97 to match a pre-b Kadet I put together. I went SAO on the 75 so I could get the trigger feel I wanted and still run an OEM hammer spring for reliable rimfire ignition. On the 97 I went with a CGW flat trigger and love it, favorite trigger now. Joe L has me wanting to try my hand at bullseye so that's why the two matching guns. Been practicing a while with the Kadet, time to step up to .45acp.

Offline dreith92

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 10:54:23 PM »
What parts are needed for the SAO conversion?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 06:59:22 AM »
I would add the floating trigger pin and a new trigger return spring from CGW. With a CGW race or CZC comp legal hammer, an oem trs should get you around a 3lb pull weight, a reduced power trs from CGW gets me 2.5lbs. This has been consistent for me on several conversions.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 10:59:50 PM »
I figured he already had that stuff. Isn't all that standard equipment? :D :D :D
Standard yes, and yet I still find myself making a monthly(sometimes more often) CGW order. Never seem to have enough in inventory. I should probably start buying in bulk. :D

Offline dreith92

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »
I didnt end up picking up the custom shop 97b. I instead picked up an "E" package 97b.  From the frame I was able to take a few measurments. I removed 1.72mm from the front strap 1.12 mm from under the trigger gaurd and 1.09mm from the beaver tail under cut. I installed the pro package on the frame. I still havent ordered the safety or the mag release or the grips. The mag release extension is no longer on back order, but the card I ordered it with broke and is no longer good, so I will have to re order. My slide isnt back from Parker Mountain Machine yet, so I took the slide from the 97B"E" and put it together.  The other slide will be caustic hot blued but the polycoat slide will give an idea of what it will loom like.

Offline dreith92

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 05:25:07 PM »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »
That looks great!

Offline handgun2

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »
bump that! awesome. thanks so much for sharing the photos and ideas!  I have 3 Cz's I have altered shape on beavertail and undercut trigger, etc.. just haven't commited to a 'refinish' plan yet.. but all, are wonderful to hold and shoot..  but again, shaped and fitted to my hand size and preference.    but, I think 'most' shooters would appreciate if they had the 'courage' to do.   

K in MI

Offline Danjoe

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 04:19:46 AM »
Looks great, but I bet even better with the blued slide! I can't wait for pics.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 06:50:28 PM »
Great thread, interesting stuff. Thank you for pics.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline dreith92

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »
I havent done much with it as of late. Im waiting for the slide to be milled. I havent ordered the safety or mag release/extension either. I have put a few mags through it and i must say it is impressive.

I do have a slight "gripe" though the EZD sights on the 97 shoots a ta low. I have noticed this with both 97's I have.