Author Topic: Stripping and re-finishing the 97b  (Read 3255 times)

Offline dreith92

Stripping and re-finishing the 97b
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:30:47 PM »

SP-01 (cajunized), SP-01 tactical Urban gray supressor ready, kadet II kit, P-01(cajunized), Tactical Sport 9mm, CZ97B, Tristar T-120(cajunized), Dan Wesson Bruin .45acp, Scorpion EVO pistol, Bren 805 Carbine

LIFE IS A DYING BATTLE, KILL IT IN KINDNESS.

Offline dreith92

Re: Stripping and re-finishing the 97b
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:40:05 PM »

SP-01 (cajunized), SP-01 tactical Urban gray supressor ready, kadet II kit, P-01(cajunized), Tactical Sport 9mm, CZ97B, Tristar T-120(cajunized), Dan Wesson Bruin .45acp, Scorpion EVO pistol, Bren 805 Carbine

Offline dreith92

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:44:50 PM »

Offline dreith92

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 10:54:28 PM »

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 05:41:29 AM »
That is looking really good!

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 05:58:45 AM »
Looks very nice. Mine has a wave in the dust cover about an inch forward of the trigger guard. Did you notice the same on yours?

Offline dreith92

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 07:43:43 AM »
Looks very nice. Mine has a wave in the dust cover about an inch forward of the trigger guard. Did you notice the same on yours?

No but the way the grip flows into the trigger gaurd  (where the mag release is) is uneven. The frane did have a few more blemishes some are still noticeable, and some were under the grips. The part where the gripa and backstrap part the metal isnt smoot, I got it as smoot as possible with what I have for tools, but I couldn't make it perfect and it shows through.

The other blemish it has is an "N" stamped on the left side of the frame, on the bottom part of the magwell. There are a couple of other blemishes as well.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 11:43:47 PM »
Did you measure it before the grip reduction? Looks like quite a bit was taken off the back strap. Have you done metal work before?

Offline dreith92

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 11:19:13 AM »
I didnt pre measure, but if you or someone with a MIC measured from the hole the safety passes through to the middle of thr arch I could tell you how much material I removed. Most likely it was 1-2mm at most...There is a lot of material to take off,  however you do have to really look at the hole the hammer strut passes through. I stopped several times to determine where to stop grinding, seeing as though when youbgo to polish and smoot it out youbwill be  removing material as well. So, I took it down as far as I felt comfortable. Which to say the least is a fair ammount. I would have smoothed the backstrap more but that would have required taking more of the vertical serrations down at the top and having to further blend it. Which would have been a ton of labor! Plus when I put the grips on, it felt superb. So I left it the way it was, and just blended just a little of the top of the serrations. I took the trigger gaurd down as equal an ammount as possible, nothing scientific but I reassembled thebsights onto the slike and checked point of aim until it was spot on for me. The front strap was easier to blend to make it less noticable.

I am NOT a gunsmith however I am a mechanic/HVAC tech I do a lot of grinding to fit parts for work and can typically work a dremel with ease. 

Offline dreith92

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 11:38:30 AM »
That is looking really good!

SP01SHADOW, I actually have a question for you, seeing as though this is my first time. After last weekend I oiled the frame unwrapped it today and wiped it down and it had a bunch of rust colored oil. Is this normal? (I used motor oil) should I use a different oil?

Offline dreith92

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 03:11:06 PM »
Well we have plenty of clouds here today, but I'm not actually done with the frame as of yet. I had a soccer game to go to today. I wil likely be finished with the frame this weekend, and the slide is to come, the slide should be milled for the lpa-trt sight by next weekend.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 05:05:19 PM »
That will be awesome, can't wait to see it finished!

Offline dreith92

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 06:51:23 PM »
I made a rookie mistake and fu....messed up the frame spent all day sunday working to fix my error. I have two spots that need attention, easy spots I might add. In the down time I ran errands like grocerys breakfast, dog park... and the important things like dropping the slide of at a buddy's shop. Jarod from Parker mountain Machine will be milling my slide for the LPA rear sight. Also I fitted the extended slide stop so that it wouldn't interfear with the head of the bullet.

Today I contacted LOK grips and found that they make 97b grips in the shadow style. Which is awesome!!!! Now I just have to decide on black, brown, or grey!?

I was also pondering and browsing czcustom.com amongst other vendors and saw the 85 combat mag release. I was wondering if it was longer than the "o" style releases...then Isaw a post from Sp01Shadow where he used the 85c mag release. So ...I am going to place an order tonight for some extra goodies.

Offline dreith92

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 06:51:40 PM »

Offline dreith92

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »
The color looks like a set of WORK rims I once had on my Mazdaspeed MX-5. Dark in low light bronze/brown in medium warm light, and gun metal grey in bright light.

SP01SHADOW- thank you for your post of the work you did. I would have never attempted this otherwise. I am glad I did, it was a learning process. It wasn't hard, but it cirtainly wasn't easy. Though I'm not done, I'm happy with the results.

I'll fit an extended safety as well.

SP01SHADOW- do you know if the 85c mag release will fit the 97b? Or give some measurments of length and diameter?