Author Topic: So CZ Crowd.....What AR-15  (Read 19015 times)

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: So CZ Crowd.....What AR-15
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2016, 01:51:12 AM »
Bottom line, I'm at information overload.  I'm a researcher type of guy and the options seem to be endless in the AR15 world.  Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.  I don't want to go high end (think someone called it a wall gun) but don't want to cheap out either.  To be clear, I know I have the skills to do the assembly, just caught up in what to buy.

I've limited myself to
16" bbl (I like durability, but still not sure what to get 4150 mil spec or chrome or that other lining I can't remember now)
mid-length gas and low profile adjustable
flat top for scope mount (a4 i think it is called)
I had no clue a lower was that cheap to outfit. That said I know the trigger can cost a ton.
I hear you! I'm very much the same way - I first started looking into getting an AR last November, and I only just finished assembling my lower a couple months ago. I really didn't get to start my build in earnest until I took my first carbine class, and figured out some of the things I'd mentioned in my previous post.

Anyway, if you're still stuck in paralysis by analysis, I'm going to try and simplify things for you a bit.

Option 1: buy a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport. You can find them on sale for $600, and you'll have a decent platform to upgrade later on. There are other decent rifles at that price point, but I think the M&P 15 is the best value of all of them. You will benefit from having a S&W warranty, and it can be resold later much more easily than any custom assembled rifle.

Option 2: Go to Primary Arms, and order an Anderson lower receiver ($50), CMMG Lower Parts Kit ($40 for the gun builder's kit - no trigger or grip), and a Magpul MOE K2 grip & trigger guard ($30), then watch a good lower assembly video, like this one:

For $120 and about an hour's investment, you will then be about 80% of the way there while keeping the flexibility of customizing the rest of your rifle; you won't be agonizing over having bought the 'wrong' component. This gives you maximum flexibility for minimal starting costs.

I know grips are a personal choice, but getting a grip now will let you assemble the safety detent, and there's a psychological benefit to having a lower receiver you can hold in your hand. The MOE K2 is cheap, ubiquitous, and fits most people very well. You can figure out the rest later.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2016, 04:46:41 AM »
Some of the MOE grips can utilize that empty space in the grip for storage.  One of my carbines has a couple CR123's for the light on it.  My GII has an oiler bottle in the grip (not lighting that one up).

You buy the grip.  It installs like any other grip.  Then you buy the storage/cap/cover that snaps into the bottom.  There are different ones.  Some for AA batteries, some for CR123 batteries, some for oilers, etc.  Some people store and extra bolt (just the bolt, not the carrier) along with the firing pin and a firing pin retaining pin in their MOE grip.  Wrap the parts up in a good plastic zip lock storage bag so they won't rattle, if you go that route.

Magpul also make one grip that is really tacky/sticky in your hand.  I put one on my wife's carbine and she really likes it.  It's easier to hold onto.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline RSR

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2016, 02:44:16 AM »
Ran the numbers on the Geissele braided spring and buffer.  W/ their black friday/cyber monday pricing, the sale price is w/in a couple dollars of the cheapest quality H/H1 buffer that I'm aware of (Stag) and a Springco spring.  Add shipping and w/ Geissele's free shipping, it actually comes in cheaper before adding on the Springco sales tax, since I'm in TX...

And? 53$ shipped for an amazing spring and buffer is a great price anyway you cut it. Springcos are generally $20+\- and any normal milspec carbine buffers don't go for a spot more than $15-$20, and H1,2,3 depending on your barrel and gas length, cartridge type and suppressor usage can go for as much as a super 42 before shipping. So say it costs the average joe $70 shipped for his springco red or green or whatever and an h2 weighted buffer.... It's still small bananas when you compare that to the cost of a trigger group, optic, barrel, even a standard NiBx m16 bcg. I'm just trying to figure out why like gang busters you hopped in here and totally criticized the experience and helpful knowledge given to the op because your opinion differs. Spikes puts tungsten powder I. Their buffers, I've used them and a number of other buffer types, weights, materials etc for more years than I can remember and never once has their performance ever made an ar platform run any less good than the corresponding milspec standard buffer with reciprocating internal weights.

Closed mindedness is why certain manufacturers don't do as well as others. The experience of others whom have had many years with the platforms were here talking about, can't simply shut down an option because they just don't agree with the marketing and product production. Dead blow hammers are filled with grains. They dead blow fairly well. If someone used a dead blow that had powder, it would still work. And the hammer would be a spot quieter. But the weight would still reciprocate as does the powder.

Have you in your infinite knowledge and experience used a JP Silent capture? Nothing reciprocating inside that mass either. So I'm sure it's also just another option for the op to write off as well. Because that thing is badly priced, but it is for sure an amazing feat of engineering for the weighted recoil balance of the weapon. But, since there isn't something inside moving back and forth about 3/16"s of an inch, it's another fail right?

The guys who think the new products are a sham are not engineers, nor are they competent gunsmiths or armorers. And they write things off because they haven't had the sack to go try them out for a couple thousand rounds.

Don't shut out a receiver because they 'use older casts'. If it's in spec, then it is in spec. Measurements and fitment doesn't lie. That's pretty simple. Aero precision is as inexpensive as Anderson in their processing and manufacturing. In fact, they operate at with identical basic QC and multi point inspections and have the same end result of product production. An inexpensive milspec anodized feature less or (rich) receiver.

I've got a few billet sets, smith and Wesson forged sets, aero sets and Anderson as well. Anderson fits in a specific category for me. I can build people inexpensive and reliable weapons systems that will not fail. And they have not. The only problems I've ever had with any product was an aero upper that didn't get anodized properly, and a spikes billet v2 lower that had the buffer retaining hold drilled cockeyed and the buffer tube threads cut with the incorrect pitch. Aero sent me a new upper. Spikes sent me a new lower with the same serial number just 2weeks turnaround. Anderson hasn't has ANY issues in the past 6 years that Ive used uppers and lowers, smith and Wesson lowers have been fantastic as well since 2002 i stashed a dozen of the m+p15 lowers then and until recently I stil had a couple because their anodize layer seems a bit smoother than the newer (2006 and forward) seem to come with a more matte finish. In any case, even the LWRC receivers I used few of, CMT which are oust phenominal for the money I've used a few billet uppers and then a couple of matches sets. I've not had a single problem with them either.

If your opinion about a product is an opinion, that's fine and I can respect ones opinion as I'd like mine respected as well. BUT, when an opinion is negligently tossed around as prayer, it's unacceptable. When numbers and performance dont lie.... Etc etc

If you experience bolt bounce because a buffer is filled with tungsten powder, then you change your buffer and the bounce is the still there, it wasn't your powder filled buffer. Some buffers are totally solid. Some have weights, some are powder filled, others are on a weird spring guide rod and have a completely different shape and size and reciprocation map. Also, Colt 9mm much?

Tungsten powder buffers have made great work in one of my fighting guns and one of my match guns. I've experienced NO buffer related issues in any of those guns, and I've had a combination estimate of 20,000+ rds through the 2 personal platforms with the spikes tungsten powder and they have always fired, reloaded, and cycled just fine. In fact some during training ops and matches who have borrowed my guns seem very surprised at how soft shooting and reliable the two guns are. I attribute that partially to my ability to properly adjust a gas system for ammo and temperature, and to properly pair parts for specific purposes.

That said, I've run a taccom buffer setup in a couple guns previously as well. They weight but 2.5oz and less. And I didn't get the issues aforementioned with the proper adjustment of those systems either. Don't be so closed minded with part selection and appropriate use. Years of use and experience backs sometimes unexpected part combinations and performance.

Be an armorer and diagnose a problem with a solution, don't throw parts around in and out trying to see if the ill effect will go away. Diagnosing guns is much easier than buying a part and tossing it in there. You don't have to pay for 15minutes with a set of digi calipers, nor do you have to believe everything you hear. Thanks for joking the conversation. Good to meet ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quickly running through and not sure if all directed at me since I didn't actually say a lot of what's being ascribed to me if in fact it is...

Re: Buffers and Springs: http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable/
Further folks like the powdered buffers b/c they have less rattle/noise.  Disregarding the fact that the rattle serves an engineering function and that powdered buffers take up a greater volume than solid weight and remove nearly all of the designed function of shifting weights in the standard buffer design...
Post you quoted,  I was just saying that Geissele on the black friday/cyber monday sale were no more expensive than a relatively standard upgrade to stock system.

In firearms like all consumer goods, brand and brand reputation matters.

QC issues with Anderson receivers are well known.  Anderson factory assembled rifles sell for less than Aero built rifles.  And anything you put on the receiver/"legal firearm" will default to value of that critical base -- like top of line tires on a rust bucket...  Continuing w/ car analogies, even if both are "milspec" at best Anderson is still the KIA to the Aero Hyundai...  I think it's foolish not to buy a higher quality product if your overall build will be using otherwise quality parts throughout...  More than 2/3rds of Anderson builds I've seen, folks build them using the cheapest parts available, which is neither a good indicator for quality or valuation.  If you want to build the exception to the rule w/ Anderson built guns, by all means have at it.  But if you ever want to sell the build, you're doing yourself a disservice on an Anderson lower IMO -- to the best of my knowledge Anderson builds lowers for no top tier AR brands, Aero does.

Stag and CMT are effectively the same.

Folks are willing to spend their money on snake oil and other goods that deliver no additional quality or reliability but resolve a pet peeve, even if that pet peeve exists because it resolves a quality or reliability issue... 

I have shot a buddy's gun w/ the JP spring, but haven't done considerable testing.  My only complaint about the JP here was its price.  I will caution the OP that AR products geared towards performance don't always maintain on the reliability end of the spectrum (lightweight bolt carriers for instance...).

I don't see the point in billet lowers.  Billet uppers are credible if wanting to wring maximum upper rigidity for precision reasons, but that's about it IMO. 

I only voice opinions that I'm confident are greater than 90% on point.  YMMV.  But then opinions are something everyone has...

The OP has minimal experience with rifles and the goal should be a "KISS" -- keep it stupid simple -- weapon system not something that requires numerous trips to the range to perfect...  It should shoot weak tula steel to hot IMI brass reliably, etc.  More tuning the worst the recommendation for the OPs needs as I understand it.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:08:20 AM by RSR »

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
So CZ Crowd.....What AR-15
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2016, 02:45:00 AM »
The latest grips I've been using are from BCM. Their mod 3 is pretty nice. It even has a built in tab that fills in the gap under the trigger guard roll pin. I had to rotor it off to fit my ar9 lower because it has an integrated trigger guard. But for a grip without rubber surface, it was $17 shipped and it is a real nice one. I've also used a whole lot of the MOE + rubber magpul grips which are great for keeping traction if gloveless and sweaty. Also the K grip versions of the magpul stuff is great because of the increased grip angle. It was so easy to take to the k grip because of my strong side elbow tucked type of shooting stance. The others I like but haven't used too many of are the houge fingered rubber grip and the one with the webbed part as well. In addition, I've got a bucket full of trigger guards and milspec m4 pistol grips. If anyone needs the stockies. I hate the milspec grip.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:46:31 AM by srREXed »
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline RSR

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2016, 02:58:34 AM »
To reiterate, I truly think you're ahead with a midlength gun over carbine, unless dead set on going less than 16"...  14.5" w/ carbine instead of midlength are more reliable with crap ammo...

For a fighting/home defense gun, I think you're doing yourself a disservice with the S&W ARs.   You're better off w/ a higher quality gun than a lessor quality gun w/ a good warranty IMO.  Most higher end builders do have good warranties however.

Windham only real complaint is they have few midlength options, most builds are carbine.

Grips, magpul does have great inserts but not all grips take all inserts (IIRC, the K2s since more vertical can only take some of the inserts whereas the MOE more angled grips can take all...  Might be confusing the magpul slim line for the K2, but don't think so).  I like BCMs floor plate best of those I've tried however but unaware of any inserts.  Ergos are serviceable for floorplates but just friction no hinge.  The hogue AK grips have crap inserts, unsure about their ARs however...  Believe I mentioned here, but BCM grips are the most universal grip for multiple hand sizes from my experience.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:09:10 AM by RSR »

Offline MetalGravy

« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2016, 10:31:26 PM »
Is there any particular Windham model that you would recommend?  Any thoughts on the Sig M400?

Offline RSR

« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2016, 02:50:56 AM »
Is there any particular Windham model that you would recommend?  Any thoughts on the Sig M400?

IIRC, they only have one midlength option.  W/ 16" definitely go w/ a midlength over carbine.  Less wear and tear on gun and equally as reliable with less need to tweak buffer and buffer springs and extractor springs for reliability... 

For a cheaper prince than Windham, you can get an the assembled midlength Aero from Brownells that specs out the same and has similar QC.  For about the same price as Windham you can get a PSA midlength upper but less QC and build your own lower or buy assembled...  Basically price difference between buying assembled and building is about the price of Geissele G2S trigger...

If you're wanting a milspec build, BCM and Sionics both make great products from stripped components to assembled uppers to built rifles...

16" barrel and midlength gas is where I'd recommend you start.  Go with the A frame front sight block if your one and only AR due to it being the strongest front sight option...  A lightweight or pencil or optimized profile barrel is also preferable for a fighting gun...

Offline Joe L

« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2016, 02:43:56 PM »
The spring noise and reciprocating buffer clanks are more or less a feature that can be dealt with quite easily. Here's the methods I used to eliminate the noises and grittiness of the buffer and spring:

Flatwire recoil springs are not a plethor in the industry, but Strike industries has an ar15 and an ar10 version that makes good work with a Spikes Tungsten powder filled buffer. It basically eliminated the noises the ar is plagued with through the receiver extension. The next method, the Geissele Super 42, which is by far the lease expensive way to eliminate the noise all together, along with making the gun cycle so smoothly you'd think it was an entirely different platform all together...

Received my Geissele Super 42 spring and buffer on Monday.  Will install this weekend.  Thanks srREXed.  Learn something new everyday. 

Joe

It's snowing and windy here today, but I did fire 10 rounds through the AR-15 with the Geissele Super 42 buffer and spring and it ran and felt great.  I'm happy.  No more Daisy air rifle twang.

Jor
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Independent George

« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2016, 11:46:57 PM »
Isn't the carbine length (7") gas port meant for the 14.5" M4 barrel? It seems like the dwell time on a 16" barrel with a mid-length (9") gas system should be roughly the same.
CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical; CZ-75 D PCR; CZ-83 Satin Nickel; CZ 2075 RAMI BD; Kadet 2

Offline Cbass

« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2016, 08:20:12 AM »
You guys will probably laugh at me but I really like my PSA  Ar.  It's one of the premium 16" kits. I don't feel it's any less accurate than my friends colt. Maybe more so. I've only got about a thousand rounds through it but so far so good.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »
The last several AR's I've put together (well, one exception) have used PSA uppers, bolts, etc.  So far there has only been one issue (gas port size in my 18" - too small for my favorite load of fast burning powder) and all of them are as accurate as anything I've built with the more "recognized" barrels (Stag Arms or Rock River Arms, DSA).

No matter what brand you talk about, sooner or later someone will get a "bad" one and complain about it.  It happens.  Not much out there that is perfect every time.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline RSR

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2016, 12:45:18 AM »
PSA rifles go: bottom tier --  PTAC (third party company that  I believe PSA now owns but didn't originally), Freedom (not sure who makes all components but all specs are milspec materials but barrels generally nitride but doesn't own), Premium, and then Premium CHF.  Premium barrels should all be FN military OE barrels.  The CHF are technically milspec plus barrels -- milspec doesn't require CHF, but there's no real detriment to doing so and military does require CHF barrels for the SAW...

Do not buy PTAC unless you're flat broke and a couple more months "saving" will not result any new funds...  There's nothing wrong with the Freedoms, which are roughly equivalent to the $500-600 AR market offerings...  However, I believe them to be most definitely superior from my testing to Armalite Eagles, Colt Expanses, and other such "budget" offerings...
For PSA generally, you're paying less b/c they do less internal QC, but PSA does do great warranty work with pretty much a no questions asked return policy.  BCM and Sionics you're paying for more QC work.  So if you don't want to have to deal with sending your gun back, go w/ BCM or Sionics.  If you don't mind the 1 in 10 or 2 in 5 chance of sending back a PSA gun for a couple hundred $ savings then go that route.

Midlengths work best on 16" barrels.
Intermediate gas systems work best on 18" barrels.
Rifle gas systems work best on 20" barrels. 

In particular I like midlengths b/c my 6' tall frame and 34/35 sleeve length arms find carbine length handguards absolutely uncomfortable and constrictive...  Yes, they are slightly softer shooting and much less unnecessary wear and tear on gun, do have a longer sight radius, but the practicality and comfort of having a longer handguard is absolutely worth it. 
I am surprised that you had an issue sending it in for warranty repair.  Based on my experience w/ PSA that hasn't been the case at all...

Offline RSR

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2016, 12:57:43 AM »
No, actually the carbine length gas port was originally for the 11.5 inch commando model.

All Colt Commandos were equipped w/ the 4.25" moderator that you're classifying as a flash suppressor.  As you can see with the cutaway, it's effectively a brake that increases back pressure.  It's length and back pressure on a Colt Commando is equivalent to a 14.5" AR15.    That's a big reason why the m4 carbine has a 14.5" barrel.  Importantly, both the 10.5" car 15 with moderator and 14.5" m4 require the carbine length gas and an appropriately located muzzle device (integral to moderator) to be able to mount a bayonet.  Further and equally important, all respected manufacturers these days recommend nothing shorter than 11-11.5" with carbine length gas if one will not be running a true suppressor.    The OAL of the commando w/ moderator and m4 carbine are pretty much equal.

Offline RSR

« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2016, 01:08:02 AM »
You guys will probably laugh at me but I really like my PSA  Ar.  It's one of the premium 16" kits. I don't feel it's any less accurate than my friends colt. Maybe more so. I've only got about a thousand rounds through it but so far so good.

No reason to laugh at reality.  My experience is the same.

The last several AR's I've put together (well, one exception) have used PSA uppers, bolts, etc.  So far there has only been one issue (gas port size in my 18" - too small for my favorite load of fast burning powder) and all of them are as accurate as anything I've built with the more "recognized" barrels (Stag Arms or Rock River Arms, DSA).

No matter what brand you talk about, sooner or later someone will get a "bad" one and complain about it.  It happens.  Not much out there that is perfect every time.

PSA bcgs if wanting milspec phosphate or nib cannot be beat.  PSA does not offer nickel teflon and stag is cheapest I've seen those... 
I use Aero uppers and lowers near exclusively for my builds.  Some but not all of the PSA uppers and lowers are made by Aero. 
Assembled uppers on daily deals, PSA prices are hard to beat.  Stripped barrels at PSA, unless CHF, are generally more expensive than other offerings.  I've gotten really good deals on ballistic advantage barrels from Monmouth Reloading and Granite Ridge Outfitters specifically...

Offline Joe L

« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2016, 06:37:06 AM »
You guys know entirely too much about these guns and options. 

I've got a Stag Arms 2T with some Geissele parts in it and that's all I know.  I had to find a bore guide in my tool box yesterday so that I could clean it a little after putting 10 rounds through it, first time I've shot it in a year.

Last year I shot it with open sights at 200 yards.  That was fun.  Peep sights work better than I thought they could.  Lots better.  No batteries.    :) :)

(Thanks gentlemen, I'm learning a lot.) 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR