Author Topic: Red Dot Sight Recommendations?  (Read 8667 times)

Offline CZBren805

Red Dot Sight Recommendations?
« on: November 09, 2016, 09:34:52 PM »
Does anybody have any recommendations or suggestions for red dot sights for the Bren 805 S1?

Thanks,

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Red Dot Sight Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »
How long range are you looking for? I have two bargain red dots that work well. The Bushnell TRS-25 is on the Scorpion right now, but the dot is 3 MOA. The dot I have on the BREN right now is the Bushnell TRS-32, which is from the AR Optics line, but the dot is 5 MOA, makes precision shooting past 100 yards not so easy.

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »
Holosun from primary arms with the ACSS reticle.

They are a T1/T2 clone and will work on any of their mounts. They also seem to be tough and handle use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CZBren805

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
Thanks. 

I would use it for fast target acquisition at 100 yds or less.   My budget is max $200 and the short list I am considering is made up of the following brands:

• Bushnell
  • Vortex
  • Primary Arms
  • Holosun

I am hoping for some good black friday sales for red dots ;-)

Offline muggia59

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 05:37:36 PM »
Vortex has the lifetime warranty, and I have had no issues with their product.
CZ SP01 Tactical, CZ SP01 Phantom, CZ P07, CZP01, CZCadet kit, CZ Scorpion EVO S1.

Offline RSR

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 02:55:33 AM »
I don't have one of the Primary Arms ACCS, but mentioned it in regards to a specific need request on the EVO boards and someone who owns posted that the BDC reticle only is really useful when pairing with a magnifier... 

In brief, you have 3 primary types of optic options depending on your needs.

No magnification optics which are divided into standard red dots and then more expensive prism type optics like the vortex spitfire 1x.  The main difference is that red dots are projection of light onto a lens while the prism are etched reticles and also have the illumination of that reticle by projected light...

Fixed mag optics (AFAIK all prisms) like standard Trijicons, some of the primary arms offerings, and the Vortex Spitfire 3 or 3.5x (don't recall exact offhand), among others.

And then variables such as the Bushnell 1-4x second focal plane AR optics, 1-4x first focal place Bushnell PCL optics, and then Vortex 1-6 second focal plane, and a few Primary Arms second focal plane offerings as well below $500.  Bigger budget offers more options...

Biases -- I don't prefer Vortex Red Dots since most have an "auto-off" feature...  The spitfire is not a red dot and does not have an auto-off....  And I prefer a first focal plane for variables...

If you have your rifle setup as an all purpose, it's extremely difficult not to recommend a variable scope.  1x works like red dots and magnifications work like fixed mags; but there's a little more weight with variables...

Perhaps significantly, the 1x prism optics like vortex spitfire do allow for adjusted focus of reticle to your eye.  Standard red dots -- your only adjustment for less than perfect vision is to turn down the intensity of the red dot to project less light which makes it appear smaller and more refined...

Offline matchman

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 06:38:38 AM »
Just my opnion.... a red dot on a rifle is limited fun
At a 100yd range. Nailing a 8-10in gong gets old
Trying to hit something the size of a pop can be agrivating waste of amo. Now do not get me wrong I have a m4 type rifle in this configuration
And accept it's strengths.  Speed and usefulness at limited distance for a bad event.
   A 1-4 power scope (I like the illuminated dot versions  that work as a normal scope when off) is good compromise between accurate fun at the range and a useful quick sight if ever needed for close quick use.

Offline EDBfla

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
MRO is what I have on mine and I really like it. $200 budget though I'd recommend PA advanced micro dot. I have several of the PA advanced dots on my AK's and they have held up great. You will need a riser though

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 08:02:09 PM »
A red dot is okay if you have little to no intention of trying for small targets at some distance (distance is up to you, as is whether or not you enjoy shooting at small targets).  I have two or three rifles with red dots.  I have taken red dots off other rifles when I found out the rifle was capable of better accuracy with a scope - good enough that a red dot was inhibiting the abilities of the rifle (and me).

I have bought several of the LUCID red dots (the bigger model) and one of the smaller ones.  I liked the idea of them using a AAA battery vs. a CR123 or a "watch" battery.  However, the batteries don't last in them.  The batteries go dead while the rifle is sitting in the corner over a period of a few months.  Had this happen on several of them.  Meanwhile, my 1X4 Primary Arms scope still has the same "watch battery" in it that it came with 4 or 5 years ago.  No more Lucids for me.

You can get scopes with red dots that light up in the center of the cross hairs for low light conditions.  I have a couple of those (the 1X4 Primary Arms scope and a 3X12 Bushnell) and have no complaints with either.  The scopes are a lot bigger/heavier than a "red dot" sight, but they give you the option of variable power to aid in target ID, something the red dot sights aren't much help at.

I'm hearing a lot of good comments on the Holosun red dots, but I've never bought one or used on, so no personal experience to mention. 

Good luck with your search.  Learn to shoot with both eyes open, whether you get a red dot or a scope.  I used to deer hunt with an old guy that shot with both eyes open using a 4X scope on his 30.06.  He routinely (once or twice a year during our 2 week deer season) jumped up big white tail bucks and shot them on the run before they got out of sight in the brush.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline das boots

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »
Lucid L7 has great reviews.  And the price is right.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - 2nd Amendment

Offline photog22740

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
Might want to check out the Vortex Spitfire 1x prism sight.  Crystal clear, close to $200, and has an etched reticle so after the EMP/Zombie apocalypse you still have use of it.  Nice looking to boot.

Offline Atl_Matt

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 05:49:21 PM »
I must have every red dot and holo under the sun. Started with the Holsun but ended up with an Eotech 512 on my Bren SBR. Just fits the gun better and for my purposes (HD) it seemed to be the best. I have the ACR stock so I was also fiddling with sight height and the Eotech just mounts faster and the FOV is superior. Matt

Offline boosted23

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 12:56:04 AM »
I must have every red dot and holo under the sun. Started with the Holsun but ended up with an Eotech 512 on my Bren SBR. Just fits the gun better and for my purposes (HD) it seemed to be the best. I have the ACR stock so I was also fiddling with sight height and the Eotech just mounts faster and the FOV is superior. Matt

I would have too agree with you here. i had a vortex sparc ar on my bren but for me the field of view was too narrow for my liking. i found this lightly used eotech 512 in my local f.b. forum so i bought it. i always wanted to try an eotech and im glad i did. i absolutely love this sight. really open viewing, i can aquire tarfet with both eyes open,the reticle hologram is a very shootable sight. i would recommend it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Jil123

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 12:37:06 AM »
Just replaced Holosun with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4. It's an absolute upgrade with almost the same cost.

Offline 762hurts

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 11:20:36 PM »
Buy a meopta mrad. Perfect.