Author Topic: Passerby shoots, kills motorist assaulting deputy after traffic stop  (Read 758 times)

Offline Beak Boater

Passerby shoots, kills motorist assaulting deputy after traffic stop

Published November 15, 2016
· FoxNews.com

A driver who attacked a Florida sheriff's deputy Monday morning was shot and killed by a bystander who warned him to stop beating the officer, according to a report.

The incident began at around 9:30 a.m. when the Lee County deputy tried to make a traffic stop on Interstate 75 in Estero. Instead of complying, witnesses said the driver took off, reaching speeds of more than 100 miles per hour.

The deputy chased the suspect onto an exit ramp, where a witness said the suspect got out of his car and assaulted his pursuer.

'SUICIDE BY COP' SURVIVOR THANKS POLICE

Shanta Holditch told WZVN that the suspect pulled the deputy out of his car and "just kept beating him and beating him ... throwing him to the ground and punching him in all different directions."

At that point, WINK reported, another driver got out of his car and ran to the scene. He told the suspect that he'd shoot him if he didn't stop beating the deputy.

"[He] refused to get off the officer and the officer kept yelling, 'shoot him, shoot him, shoot him,' Holditch said.

When the suspect didn't stop his attack, the third man shot him three times. The deputy was not hit. The suspect later died.

"I heard like three shots. He fell down on top of the police officer," said a witness who would only give his last name, Smith.  "After a moment, the police officer rolled him back over, got on his mic, then rolled over back on the ground besides the guy."

Authorities have not identified the suspect or the person who shot him and it was unclear if charges would be sought. WINK reported that the suspect was armed and the bystander who shot him possessed a concealed weapons license.

WINK identified the deputy as Dean Bardes, a 12-year veteran of the Lee County Sheriff's Office. He was briefly hospitalized with minor injuries, but later released

The southbound off-ramp at Exit 123 was reopened Monday evening after being closed for several hours while investigators worked the scene.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Beak Boater

Re: Passerby shoots, kills motorist assaulting deputy after traffic stop
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:33:57 AM »
Follow up to first article

DAVID DORSEY  , DDORSEY@NEWS-PRESS.COM 5:14 p.m. EST November
Lee County Sheriff's Office is reporting one person is dead after an officer-involved shooting this morning on Interstate 75. Ricardo Rolon / news-press.com

Shoot Straight, a Fort Myers gun dealer and firing range, gave the unidentified bystander who shot and killed a man assaulting a deputy on I-75 Monday a replacement handgun Tuesday.

“We reached out to the Lee County Sheriff,” said Mark Williams, who has managed the Fort Myers Shoot Straight location since it opened in 2010 off Colonial Boulevard. “He had to impound the gun for evidence. We wanted to donate a gun so this man’s not unarmed.”

The bystander, according to eyewitness accounts, shot three times and killed Edward Strother on Monday off the Corkscrew Road exit in Estero during an altercation with Deputy Dean Bardes, who had stopped Strother for speeding. The LCSO is not naming the bystander, who Sheriff Mike Scott has called a "Good Samaritan", due to the incident still being under investigation.

Sheriff’s deputies accompanied the bystander to the gun store Tuesday

“I know he wants to stay anonymous,” said Williams, who declined to identify him. “He’s a super nice guy. He doesn’t want any attention.”

Williams said the man had a concealed weapons permit. He ran a background check on the man and then gave him the weapon.

Shoot Straight gave the man a Springfield XDS, an handgun that can hold up to eight rounds. It was black, weighed almost two pounds and was made in Croatia. It cost $500.

Williams said after the background check came up clean, he did not hesitate to donate the weapon to the man.

“The sheriff is calling him a hero,” Williams said. “If they were comfortable with him getting a gun, I was completely comfortable with giving him a gun.

“From what I’m hearing from witnesses, all of these people drove by this happening, and this was the one guy who stopped.”

Williams said he has not heard of many situations like this happening.

“For the most part, people with concealed permits know they’re not police,” Williams said. “They don’t want to be police.”

Williams described the man as “extremely soft-spoken, a well-mannered, quiet guy.”

Scott wrote a Facebook post, applauding the bystander for killing the man who was assaulting the deputy. The sheriff's office released a photograph of Strother sitting on top of Bardes during their altercation.

“I thank my good friends at ‘Shoot Straight’ who realized that the hero’s gun was taken as evidence and immediately gave him a brand new firearm,” Scott wrote. “Above all, I thank the hero that recognized the imminent threat, rushed to Deputy Bardes’ aid, and ultimately stopped that threat.

“In a day and age where race is a near-instant focus for media and other pundits in police incidents, the fact is that this hero happens to be a man of color who stopped another man of color from further harming or killing a white cop; thereby reminding us that black lives matter, blue lives matter, and indeed all life matters. We at your Sheriff’s Office remain proud to serve and focused on the mission.”
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Mildew

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 09:40:38 AM »
Good story.  I think the majority of the country is getting tired of having our cops killed.  I know I am. 

Offline K3JB

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »
  Thanks for sharing the story.
   The good samaritan took the initiative to act and do the
  the right thing.
   I have a Florida carry permit because I am down there 4 months of the year,
  but can not get a Maryland permit where I live the rest of the year.
  The Florida permit process worked, being in the Real Estate community in Florida
  a number of agents carry.
  Richard
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Beak Boater

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
I know about MD and the CCW issues, I lived their 40 Years before moving to SW FL. Lived outside of Laplata. Fl is like a breath of fresh air as far as 2a rights compared to MD.

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
I wonder why the deputy did not have control of this situation.  It seems like it should be he to donate his service weapon to the Samaritan.

I was involved in an incident many years ago when I had to rush and help a policeman from getting a beat down and losing his weapon.  I helped calm and subdue the person (someone I recognized from high school, of all things) and put cuffs on him.  No Springfield for me, all I got was a silly letter of commendation...

Ruger rimfire fan

Offline flattusmaximus78

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »
I wonder why the deputy did not have control of this situation.  It seems like it should be he to donate his service weapon to the Samaritan.

I was involved in an incident many years ago when I had to rush and help a policeman from getting a beat down and losing his weapon.  I helped calm and subdue the person (someone I recognized from high school, of all things) and put cuffs on him.  No Springfield for me, all I got was a silly letter of commendation...
Why did they confiscate your Springfield?

Offline MP2 Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 09:12:23 PM »
I know about MD and the CCW issues, I lived their 40 Years before moving to SW FL. Lived outside of Laplata. Fl is like a breath of fresh air as far as 2a rights compared to MD.
I reside right across the Nice Bridge from MD in VA (just down the road from LaPlata).  I can carry with my VA CC permit right up to the edge of that bridge and then I turn into a criminal.  The Republican governor in MD (Hogan) has done nothing, that I can tell, to roll back some of the restrictive gun laws in that state to include the need to show cause to get a CC permit.
CZ 40B, CZ 52, CZ 70, CZ 75 (pre-B), CZ 75 Compact, CZ 75BD Police, CZ75 P-07 Duty, CZ 82, CZ 83 (.32 & .380), CZ 97B, CZ P-09 & vz. 58V

Offline bluedog46

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »
I reside right across the Nice Bridge from MD in VA (just down the road from LaPlata).  I can carry with my VA CC permit right up to the edge of that bridge and then I turn into a criminal.  The Republican governor in MD (Hogan) has done nothing, that I can tell, to roll back some of the restrictive gun laws in that state to include the need to show cause to get a CC permit.

That does suck. Same here in Delaware with Maryland. Yes Hogan has not done much, but apparently he really does not have the power to. I would be nice though if he did. I am hoping trump somehow forces national carry as marriages are recognized state to state. An illegal alien with a license gets honored state to state my damn permits ( and yours) should as well. Hell eventhough we should not have to I don't mind if MD had non-res permits. I would pay $20 for 5 years.

Offline MP2 Guy

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 10:07:37 PM »

That does suck. Same here in Delaware with Maryland. Yes Hogan has not done much, but apparently he really does not have the power to. I would be nice though if he did. I am hoping trump somehow forces national carry as marriages are recognized state to state. An illegal alien with a license gets honored state to state my damn permits ( and yours) should as well. Hell eventhough we should not have to I don't mind if MD had non-res permits. I would pay $20 for 5 years.

I'd gladly pay Maryland some money for a non-resident permit also.  Heck, I pay them every afternoon to cross the Nice Bridge back into VA on U.S. 301 (I work near BWI Airport) with my Maryland-issued commuter (less expensive) rate EZpass.  IMO -- I don't think Hogan has even really tried to address the current laws.
CZ 40B, CZ 52, CZ 70, CZ 75 (pre-B), CZ 75 Compact, CZ 75BD Police, CZ75 P-07 Duty, CZ 82, CZ 83 (.32 & .380), CZ 97B, CZ P-09 & vz. 58V