Author Topic: DPMS GII, Recon model  (Read 1404 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
DPMS GII, Recon model
« on: November 22, 2016, 08:09:58 PM »
Ordered a Primary Arms 1X6 scope with that ACS reticle.  Illuminated dot in a horse shoe with vertical/horizontal lines to act as a BDC out to 800 yds.  Also has a range finder set up on the right side of the view and a wind compensator set of dots as well as a running target spacer/dot set up to help in leading a target.  No idea how well it's going to work yet.

Also ordered some magpul magazines (four 20's and one 25) and a magpul two point sling.

Don't really care for the quad rail on it.  Just ordered a Yankee Hill Machine 12.7" keymod free float tube for it.  We have one or two of those on AR15's and they're nice.  And the 12.7" will cover that ugly butt gas block sitting left out in the open by the factory free float tube.

Oh, the pics.  It's not loaded, I just put the magazine in it to see what it looked like.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline copemech

Re: DPMS GII, Recon model
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:46:30 PM »
That's a nice looking AR-15 there Jimbo! O0 O0 O0

I know, I know, don't start! HA!  :P

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:52:39 AM »
Nice Recon. Been using the primary scope for awhile on my 300 BLKOUT and really like it.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 07:58:55 AM »
I've got another scope mount.  I pulled this one out of the "used stuff" drawer first though.  Once I got it on the rifle and started adjusting the sling I realized why it was in the used stuff drawer.  That's as far forward as I can get the scope and keep it on the receiver.  I have another 30mm scope mount that allows the scope to be moved farther forward (at this point I'm not sure I want to shoot it with my nose on the charging handle, more than once anyway).  If I can shoot it with my nose where it's supposed to be I'll have to put the other mount on it.

We'll see.  I want to get to the range bad but everyone is running around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to get things ready for Thanksgiving dinner with the kids, the in-laws, the kid's kids, etc., etc.

Might not get to shoot it till Friday or Saturday.  Now, if we'd gone to WV for Thanksgiving, I'd be shooting it at 25 yds. to sight it in.  I can go to about 50 yds. up above the garden, but that's about it.  After that, it's up the mountain and through the woods.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:19:31 PM »
Well, went to the range this afternoon.  Had some headspace issues.

Took SA surplus and 5 rounds of 150 grain Hornady soft point loaded with IMR4895 (good load in my son's M1A for deer hunting).

Way off the paper at 25 yds. with the scope.  Finally (broke the rules and aimed at a stick on the bank to see it was hitting way high) got it sighted in at 25 yds.  Dead on right/left and 2" low.

Removed the scope and sighted in the magpul back up sights (it was about 1 inch right and 3" low, so that went pretty quick).

Put the scope back on and went to the 100 yd. range.

It surprised me it was about 2" right and 5" or so high.  Made some adjustments, shot another group, made more adjustments, shot another group.  Happy with where the group center was but not happy with the groups size.  Two to three inches at 100 yds. might be all I can expect from that SA surplus in this rifle.  Not real comfortable with the scope either.  Trying to center a small dot (scope) in a large dot (target) doesn't work well for me.  I adjusted the scope so the horseshoe around the dot in the scope was slightly larger than the circle of the target and that worked a little better for me.

Then I shot the 5 rounds of hunting ammo.  Bigger group even though two bullets tore touching holes.

Then, the thing that really ruined the day.  When I closed the front lens cover, the scope moved back about an inch in the rings.  I could have sworn I tightened everything down good when I put the scope in the mount.  The scope body was scratched up pretty good so it looked like the scope had been moving back and forth in the rings while I was shooting.

The good things:

Got to shoot the new rifle
Got the iron sights sighted in
Not a single malfunction with the SA surplus or the hunting ammo

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 06:37:52 PM »
Another bad day on Monday (went out of town Monday afternoon, so delayed report - no internet in that holler, just peace and quiet, till we start shooting).

Monday the new free float tube came in.  I got excited and started to install it.  Nope, didn't happen, ran my butt off and got frustrated as hell and ended up putting it all back together with the original quad rail.

The jam nut on the barrel nut (for the factory quad rail) was glued on with some type of gray stuff that heat from my heat gun didn't seem to affect, at all.  I finally got it to turn loose only to find out that the same guy that glued/expoxied?? the jam nut on the barrel nut had also done the same for the free float tube.  I have no idea why they even bother to use the jam nut if they're going to epoxy everything to the barrel nut.  I got the quad rail loose to.  It "cried and squalled" with every turn of the wrench/breaker bar.  I had to put a 24" breaker bar in the big AR10 wrench to turn that quad rail loose.  Not till the last 2 or 3 turns would it turn by hand.

I pulled the factory quad rail off the barrel only to find out the new YHM free float tube uses different threads than the factory quad rail so the new tube won't screw on the factory barrel nut.

I was going to go ahead and use the new YHM barrel nut and jam nut but couldn't get the flash suppressor off the barrel.  I took the gas block loose (same kind of gray stuff used to glue the screws into the gas block) after a heck of time getting the screws loose.  I then started trying to get the barrel nut off.  I got it loose but basically just destroyed the part of the nut that the wrench "fits around/into" to get a grip on the barrel nut.  The metal wrench, with the big breaker bar on it for leverage, just busted the aluminum barrel nut to small pieces there on the front of it.  It came loose and I easily removed the barrel from the upper receiver, it pulled right out.

Then I got some leather strips and clamped the barrel in the big bench vise to get a big open end wrench (22 mm) on the flats of the flash suppressor.  I only accomplished two things, the indentions in the barrel back at the extension ate up two sets of leather trips as the barrel kept turning in the leather/vise.  And the wrench, even though it was a good snug fit, began to mash the edges/corners of the flats on the flash suppressor.

I gave up, put it all back together (used a big pair of vise grips to get the barrel nut lined up properly to run the gas tube back through it) and then used a file to clean up the boogered up sections of the quad rail where the AR10 wrench marked it up getting it turned loose off the barrel nut.  Some flat black paint (mostly) covered up the shiny spots.  Nothing will put the broken pieces of aluminum back on it (the idea is still to replace it at some point, I really like that YHM single rail free float tube) but you have to look close to see anything.

Since I'd taken off the Magpul back up sights and scope to try to replace that free float tube I took the rifle to WV with me and sighted it back in yesterday in that cold rain.  I got back to the house and sat if behind the cook stove to warm it up/dry it off and then cleaned it after supper.  Sometimes I wonder why I ever left "home".  Then I remember the lack of good jobs and think about how things have changed up there in so many ways (not the house/family/holler, but the area around it) and I realize I'm still better off down here.

Another 20 shots without a single malfunction.  The trigger feels really good.  I measure it with the trigger pull ga. and it breaks at 5 lbs.  I war really surprised.  I guess it's clean enough that if just feels lighter than it really is.

I may take the upper to the next local gun show and see if one of the (usually several there) AR builders can get that flash suppressor off for me.   I had the heat gun on it and had the barrel hot 6 or 8 inches back from the suppressor and still couldn't get it to come loose.  Maybe one of those guys can get it off for me.

The saga continues.

Offline Nimdabew

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 12:10:33 AM »
I build my own guns so I don't have stories like yours. DPMS and other... lesser manufacturers, are known for putting crap on threads where it doesn't belong.
snakeye, no worries, I don't need someone in a leotard. :)

Online SlvrDragon50

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 12:54:58 AM »
Man I really wanna build an AR :|

Online eastman

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 08:57:05 PM »

I'm thinking about doing that next year. The only design features I am set on are - heavy barrel (20" or more), flat top with low gas block and a Rock River 2-stage match trigger. I plan to put a good scope on it and use it for 100 yard (or more) targets.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »

I'm thinking about doing that next year. The only design features I am set on are - heavy barrel (20" or more), flat top with low gas block and a Rock River 2-stage match trigger. I plan to put a good scope on it and use it for 100 yard (or more) targets.

I have RRA triggers in two, or maybe three of mine.  They are nice.

Do you really want a monster/heavy AR15?  I have one with a 24" bull barrel.  It's heavy.  Really.  Heavy.

My nephew said he wanted one set up like that so I let him carry mine to the range to shoot.  That didn't cure him though, we still built one up for him.  Awhile back Stag had their 24" bull barrels on sale for $150.  Don't know what the prices are now.  If you have definite plans to build, start watching for parts on sale before you want to start the build and you'll save some bucks.

Offline fr3db3ar

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 09:28:46 AM »
I have a 16" 308 complete upper if anybody is interested.  $400 shipped.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Online eastman

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 01:20:01 AM »

I have RRA triggers in two, or maybe three of mine.  They are nice.

Do you really want a monster/heavy AR15?  I have one with a 24" bull barrel.  It's heavy.  Really.  Heavy.

My nephew said he wanted one set up like that so I let him carry mine to the range to shoot.  That didn't cure him though, we still built one up for him.  Awhile back Stag had their 24" bull barrels on sale for $150.  Don't know what the prices are now.  If you have definite plans to build, start watching for parts on sale before you want to start the build and you'll save some bucks.

I already have a lightweight carbine, so I want the next one to be a target model. Even with a 24" bull barrel, it is still going to be lighter than the M1 Garand.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »
Are you sure about the weight?

And then there's this thing called "balance."  I know how an M1 balances and I know how the vARmint rifle feels when the barrel weighs about as much as the rest of the rifle.

Increased accuracy won't come from the 24" barrel.  You can get the same groups from a 20 or 18" barrel.  You should get some extra velocity though, if the right powder/bullet combination is used.

Good luck with it.  The neat thing about the AR15 is that it's not too hard to put a different barrel on the upper or build a whole new upper.

One other thing/question.  Stock, buttstock actually, what are you looking for?  My vARmint rifle first had a carbine stock on it.  The idea was to make it adjustable for different shooters.  No one shoots it but me, every few years, so I put an A2 stock on it and put the carbine stock on another rifle.  I'm 6'3" tall with arms long enough to not look funny and I still don't like the A2 stock.  I can get my nose on the charging handle but it's a stretch.  The older, A1 buttstock is a much better fit for me.  I put one on my 18" build and really like it.  If I shot the vARmint rifle more I'd find/buy/install an A1 butt stock on it, too.

vARmint rifle with the carbine stock on it.  Scope in a 2.5X10 Simmons I had higher hopes for.  Big objective lens but still not as bright/clear as my smaller Nikon/Bushnell (older Bushnell scopes).

18" build, still haven't really "wrung" this one out yet.  Too much other stuff going on.  Might shoot it at 100 yds. today.

Not a comparison of functioning, weight, accuracy, etc.  Just a couple of pictures of two rifles I put together, only one of which I take to the range or on road trips.

Online SlvrDragon50

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »
Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen an A2 stock!

I think if I were to build an AR, I'd go with an 18" since that's what looks like is used for 3 gun. Good to know there's little benefit of running a 24" bull barrel. Very cool looking rifle though.

Online eastman

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
Are you sure about the weight?

And then there's this thing called "balance."  I know how an M1 balances and I know how the vARmint rifle feels when the barrel weighs about as much as the rest of the rifle.

Increased accuracy won't come from the 24" barrel.  You can get the same groups from a 20 or 18" barrel.  You should get some extra velocity though, if the right powder/bullet combination is used.

Good luck with it.  The neat thing about the AR15 is that it's not too hard to put a different barrel on the upper or build a whole new upper.

One other thing/question.  Stock, buttstock actually, what are you looking for?  My vARmint rifle first had a carbine stock on it.  The idea was to make it adjustable for different shooters.  No one shoots it but me, every few years, so I put an A2 stock on it and put the carbine stock on another rifle.  I'm 6'3" tall with arms long enough to not look funny and I still don't like the A2 stock.  I can get my nose on the charging handle but it's a stretch.  The older, A1 buttstock is a much better fit for me.  I put one on my 18" build and really like it.  If I shot the vARmint rifle more I'd find/buy/install an A1 butt stock on it, too.

vARmint rifle with the carbine stock on it.  Scope in a 2.5X10 Simmons I had higher hopes for.  Big objective lens but still not as bright/clear as my smaller Nikon/Bushnell (older Bushnell scopes).

18" build, still haven't really "wrung" this one out yet.  Too much other stuff going on.  Might shoot it at 100 yds. today.

Not a comparison of functioning, weight, accuracy, etc.  Just a couple of pictures of two rifles I put together, only one of which I take to the range or on road trips.

That looks like a fine rifle.

The exact detail are subject to change (except for the basics I posted above). A 20" barrel may turn out to be enough. I like the style of the A2 stock, but I've never tried one to get a sense of how it fits me. I figure I'll build the lower first and test that out with the Windham upper. I'll probably start buying parts when I see big sales on the right types of things.