Author Topic: Had problems with EAA/Tanfoglio? Found fixes? Post here.  (Read 12036 times)

Cobra44

Had problems with EAA/Tanfoglio? Found fixes? Post here.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 10:44:30 PM »
For me it has been a very simple approach, I treat the people like I want to be treated, that is the way I was raised and it has always worked for me.

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2006, 09:19:09 AM »
The Problem has to be in the way that people approach EAA,  and what they want to accomplish.  I have worked with service departments of Kimber, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Sig and I consider them to be THE very best, but I place the service I get from Paul (EAA) far better than these. The quality and quantity of EAA work is the best I have seen, better than I could even hope for.

Paul and his people don't know me from any other member, but I do owe them for the way they have treated me and the work they have done for me.  

Most site member would agree that a base Witness pistol is one of the best handgun values on the market.
I think that they compare with gun at twice to three times the cost.    This can only happen if Tangfolio and EAA work on SMALL margins.  

I have read were some site members want to see Paul and or EAA gone.  I for one can not think of anything worst for Witness pistol owners.  

Cobra44 you said it best in your simple approach.  RS
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline atblis

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2006, 11:53:19 AM »
"The quality and quantity of EAA work is the best I have seen, better than I could even hope for."

Dude, you don't get out much.

Uhhh
Are you sure you're not in a parrelel universe, and have accidentally acessed another message board via a temporary hole in the space time continuum?

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2006, 12:32:52 PM »
I must ask we stay on topic here if possible and keep this thread on customer service issues.  Note there is another sticky for positive experiences with EAA.  I essentially set this one up to sort both aspects of EAA into their own thread.  Readers can thus look at each and make their own decisions.  Many of us have had both positive and negative experiences, myself included.

GR

Offline atblis

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2006, 06:18:24 PM »
A similar thread (from 2002 no less) got dredged up over at thefiringline.com
Is EAA the worst company Ever?

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2006, 10:08:53 AM »
Atblis   Sarcasm may not be your best approach when dealing with EAA.  but what do I know?  RS
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2006, 08:48:24 AM »

By the way, I should mention that Paul has been very nice to me when I have called.  I hate to seem like I am just bashing EAA by starting this thread.  I really am just wanting to show both sides of the coin with this thread and the positives thread.   Readers can then make up their own minds from an informed perspective.

GR

Offline Muad'dib

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2006, 08:00:35 AM »
The only problems I have had with my FS 10mm and EAA are as follows:

1) I bought the gun brand new and took it out to shoot for the first time.  It was great, more accurate than anything else I had bought up to that point and went through a 50 rd. box of weak Remington (UMC) 180 gr. pushing 1150 at the muzzle.  That is, according to the Remington website.  I was grouping so well and all the others shooting weaker rounds had stopped to hear the cannon roar, it was an indoor range, and watch me.  Needless to say I blew through box 1, bought another and about halfway through the second box the rear sight flew off.

I contacted EAA and told them the problem and their reply was, "Send it back and we'll look at it."  I then got a lecture on the hydraulic poundage used to push those sights into place and the "impossibility" of the sights coming off unless, as they insinuated, I had been pounding on the sights with something or put it into a pusher to try and remove or drift them, which I had done none of this.  They also said that if I dropped the gun they could have come loose.  I have never dropped it, and reminded whomever I was talking to, but probably Paul, about the little speech on hydraulic poundage and how recoil is probably more jarring than a fall.

They were nice and not sarcastic but the "We'll take a look" speech along with the veiled "It ws probably something you did not covered under warranty" speech did not make me feel good.  They could have gotten the gun in the mail, declared that it was work not covered by warranty and then asked for crazy amounts of money to get it back.  That or I would be out more money to get it shipped back with no fix.  Anyway, I checked this board and found my case is not unique and I simply put them back on with a little JB Weld; they are fine now even with hotter loads.  I have bought several things from Reed's Ammunition and research, great customer service and prices, and corresponded with them about my problems and they said this problem was so prevalent that EAA or Tanfoglio has started putting set screws in their rear sights to prevent this.  Hydraulic poundage indeed!

2) Their customer service has never been rude but acts baffled whenever you have a problem, like it is the first time it has ever happened in recorded history.  This board was a great resource before I bought the gun and I knew that some problems might occur, strange that no one at EAA has heard of them or reads this board since about 50% of the people on this board have had some problem with their pistols.  I ordered some hi-cap mags for my 10mm and wood grip panels.  They all came in the mail fine and the mags are fine but needed new springs.  They inch up rather than spring up so sometimes the slide locks before a round can be chambered.  That is not the issue.  The grip panels came in a bag marked "EAA Witness FS .38 Super/.45 ACP."  

I called and said that I had ordered the 10mm ones and they said that these will fit the 10mm, it's just not marked on the bags barcode tag.  Well, I tried to put them on but the grip frame screw holes would not match up with those on the new grip panels.  I could either seat the wood correctly and not screw them in or screw them in cock-eyed.  Customer service said that these were the right grip panels but if they would not fit then send them back and they would send me out a new pair.  I sent them in but they just refunded my money without consulting me or explaining why.  I have always wanted to buy some from Hakan or Omega but they sell as soon as they are made.  I guess I'll have to commission a pair.

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2006, 08:10:48 AM »

That grip issue mirrors one I had trying to fit some to my 10mm Match.  Another member reported that the wood fit his 45 Match.  I assumed perhaps I was sent the wrong panels but perhaps there is a frame difference between the 10mm and 45/38 Super guns.  Interesting.

GR

Offline Muad'dib

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2006, 08:44:21 AM »
Like I said they are in denial.  Their website store has the grips for the 10mm, .38 Super, and .45 ACP listed under different part numbers but when I called they said they are all the same, despite having different part #s, and are interchangeable.  I was told that the 10mm, .38 Super, and .45 ACP all had the same lower frame.  This board was a great help in deciding to buy the Witness in the first place and I recall some threads where this frame difference was discussed.  The concensus was that both the 10mm and .45 ACP lowers have been used for the .38 Super but that the 10mm frame is different than the .45 ACP.  This might be wrong but again it could be true and the answer to the mystery!  

That or they just have poor QC and are drilling holes all over the place.  This seems more likely because the panels I got seated perfectly, the screw holes were just misaligned.  The panel holes were about 1/8" lower than the frame holes.  Of course I have to wonder because both panels were misaligned to the same degree; 1/8" below frame hole.  You would think that if it was poor QC then one might match up while the other didn't.

Of course QC in the shipping dept. could be bad and they just throw in whatever grips they have at hand into whatever bags they have at hand.  Meaning, maybe I got some 9mm or .40 S&W in a bag marked for .38 Super/.45 ACP.  The bags had English bar codes and EAA markings so I'm guessing those are made in America (or outsourced somewhere by EAA rather than by Tanfoglio) and not Italy.  If so, then we do not need Scooby and the gang to solve this mystery!  Tanfoglio is great but needs a new American distributor!

Offline atblis

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2006, 07:11:34 AM »
I don't consider condescending nice.  I had the same problem with the rear sights (as did others).

They also lie, and I am pretty sure they attach different part numbers to the same part, in some sort of attempt to sell more parts.  That's all I can figure.

The 10mm and 38 SA frames are/were the same.  I had both at the same time, swapped some stuff around (this only applies to the regular steel FS guns).

They sent you a boogered set of grips, or the wrong grips.

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2006, 07:35:49 AM »

I suspect it is a quality control issue on the part of Tanfoglio.  I noticed in the set I got that it appeared close to fitting.  My assumption was perhaps they were for a different gun or the small frame, however it could also be that they just were a bit off as suggested above.  Grips have been a consistent issue for me.  I have had quite a few of the rubber ones that were not cleanly molded, as well as one set that was warped.  Marc Galli sent me a replacement set promptly.

GR

Offline robertbank

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »
The frame sizes are not the same and how they would expect grips to fit different frame sizes is beyond me.

As to the poster who thinks EAA witness service is the best.  Well a simple question sent by email got back a sarcastic childish reply.  Sorry that is not customer service in my books.  

Tanfoglios are great pistols and up here we have a different importer who provides excellent service.

Take Care

Bob

Offline atblis

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2006, 04:52:14 PM »
It is a shame Marc is gone.  He's the only person I've ever gotten any results from at that infernal place.

Offline QBToo

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 06:18:42 PM »
I recently purchased a Witness Limited .38 Super and sent EAA an email inquiring about additional chrome mags with the alum baseplate (my gun only came with one).  They responded in a day.  Told me they didn't have the chrome mags and that I had to purchase the blued mags and the silver alum baseplate separately.  

I called and was told that the basepads were in stock but not the mags.  Since I had some Mec-Gar mags to try out I went ahead and order just the basepads and said I'd call back in a few weeks to see if their parts order had come in and if so I'd order the mags.

About 1 hour later EAA called me back out of the blue to tell me they made a mistake and that the basepads were NOT in stock either.  I was surprised they bothered to call me and tell me that.  

I called them back and ordered both the mags and baseplates since they were now both suppose to be in stock in the next couple of weeks.  

So we'll see if the order ever comes in but I will give them credit for calling me right back when they realized their mistake in telling me the basepads were in stock.