Author Topic: Wanted opinions about single stack ccw  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Roikyou

Wanted opinions about single stack ccw
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
My favorite triggers are the CZ 75 TS with 1 1/2# pull and Sig Legion SAO with 4# pull. I have CZ 75 SP01 and CZ 75 P01 with CGW right now. I have a CCW but don't carry. I'm more of a range person. I've recently shot Glock G43 and Sig P938. Never cared for glock triggers but in this case, i feel the trigger was better than the Sig. My question or wanting opinions is "am i waisting my time with single stacks and these trigger types". Do they get better with use. I kind of like the Glock but can't put many round through it without my trigger finger saying enough. My CZ 75 TS at 43 plus ounces, i can put 400 or more rounds until i feel satisfied with my gun itch to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Re: Wanted opinions about single stack ccw
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:53:01 AM »
My favorite triggers are the CZ 75 TS with 1 1/2# pull and Sig Legion SAO with 4# pull. I have CZ 75 SP01 and CZ 75 P01 with CGW right now. I have a CCW but don't carry. I'm more of a range person. I've recently shot Glock G43 and Sig P938. Never cared for glock triggers but in this case, i feel the trigger was better than the Sig. My question or wanting opinions is "am i waisting my time with single stacks and these trigger types". Do they get better with use. I kind of like the Glock but can't put many round through it without my trigger finger saying enough. My CZ 75 TS at 43 plus ounces, i can put 400 or more rounds until i feel satisfied with my gun itch to shoot.

I've heard a few of our members mention having to send their Glock 43 back several times for things like rust... Hope they chime in. Lots of members like that P 938. My first CZ was a Tactical Sport. After that I tried a P 938 and got the trigger pull down to about 4 lbs with some work. It was nice but I just couldn't get used to the snappiness and I read quite a few threads on the sig forum about parts of the alloy frame just wearing out after 500 or so rounds. Sold it and bought a CZ 75 Compact. Threw on thin aluminum grips, did some trigger clean up, put on the Competition Hammer,  and converted it to SAO. I have carried that everyday. I am not trying to hijack the thread, just figured I would share since I had a similar experience. If I was worried about weight I may have gone with a rami and converted it to SAO.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:56:24 AM »
I have been considering an S&W Shield, Springfield XDs, and Walther PPS.  However, none seem to be good enough for me to replace my Polish P-83, and certainly not my PCR. 

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »
If i remember, the cz 75 compact is close to the P01, which i have. I have a Rami safety, would like to move to a decocker but safety is probably fine. I'll most likely let the sig and glock go. The rami is half inch shorter in the barrell from the P01. And i catch myself wanting to use extended magazines which end up making the Rami almost as big as the P01.

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:04:10 AM »
I also thought about the pcr which is close to the p01 also. I also though about the shield, xds and pps but my hangup is polymer triggers. Never tried the p-83.

Online Joe L

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 11:16:22 AM »
I only have two pistols smaller than a P-07, a SIG P-239 and a Kahr PM-40.  The SIG is a single stack DA/SA that shoots comfortably but is heavy to carry.  The PM-40 at 17 oz in a .40S&W is just not pleasant to shoot, but I like the trigger and I can shoot it well.  It carries fine.  Here is what I've concluded about carry guns.

1.  I'll only consider a 9mm, regardless of frame material.  A .40 is no fun at all.
2.  I'll only consider a single stack.
3.  I prefer something slightly larger than a Kahr CM/PM-9, which I've owned and liked OK.
4.  Striker is fine with me for a carry gun.  DA/SA second choice.  SAO, not so much.
5.  I'd like something heavier in the 22-30 oz weight range.
6.  I might look at the next larger Kahr polymer 9mm than the PM/CM gun. 
7.  If CZ ever makes a 3.5" striker 9mm single stack, I'm on it. 

I've gotten to shoot a P-938 a bunch and liked it OK, but the trigger definitely needs a little work.  It is heavy enough, I just don't want to carry cocked and locked after carrying the Kahr for 4 years. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline AMM

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:18:59 AM »
So, I used to carry a 938 when I needed really thin for concealment. Because my wife trained DAO, and we wanted to standardize I transitioned to a G43 for times when my P01 is tough to dress around.  I have had no issues at all with the G43s.  Have never been a huge Glock fan (don't generally like the grip angle) but for what they are, the G43s are serving us well.  100% reliable so far, and easily concealed.

Cheers
P01; CZC P01 SDP; SP01 Tactical, SP01 Tactical Suppressor-ready; CZ 1911A1; 452 Trainer and UL; 550FS 6.5x55

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
One of our members that spends time in the Czech Republic mentioned that the rumors over there are that they are working on a striker single stack pistol. Since they released the P-10C this makes more sense. I am holding out till shot show to see if they release one this year. I just never could get comfortable with any of the single stacks right now. That's totally personal preference though.
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
So the kahr pm9, stick with g43 or stick with larger such as the p01 and forget the little guys. I expected a lot more from the sig and dont like the thought of sending it out for a couple hundreds bucks of trigger work to make it better.

Offline viking499

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 11:51:53 AM »
I have a Shield.  Picked it over the 43.  Fit of the Shield was better for me.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 03:57:32 PM »
....... My question or wanting opinions is "am i waisting my time with single stacks and these trigger types". Do they get better with use. I kind of like the Glock but can't put many round through it without my trigger finger saying enough. My CZ 75 TS at 43 plus ounces, i can put 400 or more rounds until i feel satisfied with my gun itch to shoot.

imo, most triggers will get better with use.  Or you can go the easy route and have some work done.

also, imo, you have wimpy fingers.  Its no different if you started off with the worlds most sucky trigger and then moved up to a trigger where a mouse fart would set it off.   You can work/exercise your body to do what it  needs to do.

same with using an M1 rifle.  Try holding that up all day and see what your arms say.   Then pickup a plastic rifle and see the different.  different face of the same coin.

If you enjoy the light and smooth trigger look at making improvements if you cant wait or wont.  There are people out there that will be more than willing to take your $$$ for what you seek.   But also realize that each system will have its limitations.  Do your homework or ask alot of questions.

one thing about CCW with light triggers.  Make sure you understand that under stress you may not know you touched that trigger until its too late. 

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »
Ive been around the world and some of the worst neighborhoods, mostly by accident. My point, i probably won't carry, it will probably stay range but i'll have versatility in my collection and ill know how to use it if I need to. Im sure your right, ive adjusted myself to light triggers but would also like not to fight a trigger which is what i feel i do with polymers. I can run a marathon but im also a computer geek (which allows me the money for these guns). Im going to stick it out with the glock 43, get past the trigger issue I have. I can run my tactical sport for 500 rounds with no issue but yes, a mouse farts, it goes off. I did pick up the ghost connector and an aluminum trigger. I have a hard time leaving things stock. Taking the 43 to the range Saturday, ill dedicate the day to the glock, see how many around i can go through, work on my wimpy fingers. I do appreciate the input.

Offline srREXed

Wanted opinions about single stack ccw
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 05:17:45 PM »
Getting in a bit late on the discussion but this is something near and dear to me. Not only constitutional carry and self preservation, but glock striker fired pistols.

I have a small number of CCW specific firearms and I find out of all of them, the ones most carried are generally due to the frame and slide width and the comfort level of carrying. The other things that make my purpose for selection is my ability to operate the platform without thinking about it.

I've been a glock guy for a number of years. In fact, I've been a glock guy since the gen 2 first came out. I was a teen at the time, but I can remember the conversation that peaked my interest. My uncle was a federal officer whom had just gotten a replacement for his beretta 92 and it was a glock 17. He was angry and couldn't stand the fact that he had this piece of Tupperware he now had to get a new holster for.

In any case, striker fired firearms have come a long way since they first came out and Glock is one of the bell ringers who has put all focus on that system.

My carry guns are Glock 42, Glock 26 gen4, p64 9x18 mak, Walther ppk circa 1980s, a few j frame .38s from s+w and Taurus, CZ p-01, colt officers ACP, kimber pro tle/RL II, Sphinx SDP compact duty, and there's a bunch more that I have carried but they were not very comfortable and therefore I retired their carry use.

When it comes to the compact glocks, they are on my belt more times than anything else. And the reason is simple, the glock 42 is only a .380. It is the smallest, most accurate, most reliable pistol I can fit in the waistband of my swimming trunks and under a tank top without anyone being able to tell I have a firearm.

I've tested a bunch of clothing types and I can hide a g42 in just about anything I could imagine I'd wear here in sunny Florida.

Capacity 7+1 in the chamber,  +1 pierce pinky extensions which you need when shooting a small framed pistol like this anyway. A spare magazine holstered weak side or even in a pocket gives another 7 rds. Tru glo tfo sights, see them at night, during the day, and even covered in dirt. Agency flatface trigger with polished bar and cruciform, polished striker contacts and hook face, ghost PRO connector ultra polished, adjusted for just the perfect amount of take up and crispy break, polished safety plunger and reduced rate plunger spring, 1# lighter striker spring, aquatic striker spring cups, and of course, fixing the grip angle and undercutting the trigger guard, with a stipple job including index points. Magazine release and slide catch also replaced with more suitable forms I prefer.

This gun has shot any type of .380 I've fired out of it. Reliably, it will fire covered in dirt and sand, soot from not cleaning it for a week of daily carry, even will be on target at 15yds offhand with sun in my eyes. If you find .380 is too anemic for you get the g43 9mm. Basically the same gun.

Ammo types available today have some .380 jhp rounds with similar performance and muzzle velocity as base factory 9mm ammo and therefore, you will stop a bad guy with a grouping of a couple rounds at center mass. I know everyone hates .380, but when you compare that to the weight of a .45 acp and the corresponding 1911 that comes with it, capacity is null and comfort is out the window.

I love my 1911s, but I don't love to carry the 4" or larger 5" mil standard govt models.

I will never carry something because it is 'cool' or its caliber will stop a grizzly bear at full tilt(Although hunting I will carry a heavier caliber sidearm)

I've been inside just about every glock that's been produced. I like the simplicity, and easy ability to make it suit your shooting style and carry requirements.

ROIKYOU, I can help you love your glock instead of just having to deal with it. If you want some support just let me know. I've done 12 glocks this week. I could add one more before the weekend if you want a walk through of what to do to fix it to suit your needs.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:49:58 PM by srREXed »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 10:56:56 PM »

When it comes to the compact glocks, they are on my belt more times than anything else. And the reason is simple, the glock 42 is only a .380. It is the smallest, most accurate, most reliable pistol I can fit in the waistband of my swimming trunks and under a tank top without anyone being able to tell I have a firearm.

I've tested a bunch of clothing types and I can hide a g42 in just about anything I could imagine I'd wear here in sunny Florida.

Capacity 7+1 in the chamber,  +1 pierce pinky extensions which you need when shooting a small framed pistol like this anyway. A spare magazine holstered weak side or even in a pocket gives another 7 rds. Tru glo tfo sights, see them at night, during the day, and even covered in dirt. Agency flatface trigger with polished bar and cruciform, polished striker contacts and hook face, ghost PRO connector ultra polished, adjusted for just the perfect amount of take up and crispy break, polished safety plunger and reduced rate plunger spring, 1# lighter striker spring, aquatic striker spring cups, and of course, fixing the grip angle and undercutting the trigger guard, with a stipple job including index points. Magazine release and slide catch also replaced with more suitable forms I prefer.

Looks nice and I like that flat trigger. I've only heard good things on the 42 so far, but it seems like I've heard more about the 43. But it definitely sounds like you put it through its paces.
    Lehigh defense makes the extreme defender and it looks pretty awesome for 380 and 9mm. You could use the extreme penetrator for the 380. Military Arms channel on YouTube does a review of that ammo using the glock 42. Just some options to support the 380 if you want to consider it.
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline copemech

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 11:12:12 PM »
Just FYI, the new model Ruger LC9s has a really good trigger. They are light, thin and expensive for a plastic fantastic!

Did I say they have a really good trigger? I would guess 5.5, light and short. Yes really. I was shocked!