Author Topic: Wanted opinions about single stack ccw  (Read 5246 times)

Offline WilburWildcat

Re: Wanted opinions about single stack ccw
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »
Have a Shield.  Best feature is comfort of iwb carry.  Find it a bit small to shoot except at close range. Did an Apex trigger upgrade to improve action.  But am now moving toward a P-01 for carry because of some YouTube vids with VERY compelling arguments in favor of double stack!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CGW P-07
P-10C Optic Ready

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 11:23:36 PM »
I took a Dremel and a sanding barrel to my G43 trigger. Shortened it up a little and smoothed off the serrations. Then I took the edge off the trigger guard so it didn't rub my knuckle, and lastly, polished the disconnector to a mirror finish. All told, probably had a couple of hours work into it. Didn't cost me a penny and made a big difference.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline amada8

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 02:38:13 AM »
I kind of like the Glock but can't put many round through it without my trigger finger saying enough.

I can relate.  I have a G20 10mm since 2013.  Tough to shoot/practice without my trigger finger sore when done.....and "done" was always earlier than anticipated.

Fast forward to this past June.  Talking with local gun shop (purchasing a Shield) the tech behind the counter nodded at me when I told him about my Glock finger.  "Yeah, me too. That is until I got a Pyramid trigger"  He pulled a gun from the display with a Pyramid and I dry fired twice.  I had my G20 in the shop the next day for an install.  I've put 4,000 rounds down range since.. and smile every time.

Probably doesn't need to be a Pyramid so look at all the options, Roikyou

CZ75D CGW Pro Package; CZ75 Standard; M&P Shield9; Glock 20SF; Sig Sauer 1911-22
CZ Sporter 32" O/U; Browning Citori Ultra O/U; Mossberg 500
Dillon 650XL; MagnetoSpeed V3 Chronograph

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 07:57:07 AM »
I currently have two G43's. My wife carries one made in Austria and a Georgia model is in my rotation. I bought the first one after shooting a buddy's 42. The 42 works as a pocket gun, the 43 is just slightly too big but conceals very nicely iwb. I much prefer a double stack compact, but sometimes you just have to have something that conceals better.
The good: My 43 runs, period. It's been 100% reliable. This summer I used it in a 2 day defensive pistol class, almost 1000 rnds. The only problem was mag capacity for practice drills. The short sight radius was of course less effective at longer ranges, but otherwise I couldn't have been happier with the gun. The entire class was run at a rapid pace, under pressure, outside in 100? sunshine. I use a talon rubber grip wrap and never had a problem maintaining my hold with sweaty hands.
The bad: I've had problems with slide corrosion on the GA manufactured guns. My first was replaced under warranty, and the warranty replacement started pitting after 4 months of daily carry. Both guns pitted where they come in contact with skin/sweat and a full guard holster would likely avoid the problem. Both guns were removed from the holster and wiped down daily, the replacement was oiled daily and still pitted. The Austrian 43 was carried until my wife took it with no sign of corrosion. I should have traded with her when I received the warranty gun, but I figured the first failure was a fluke. Not so much. Other than the corrosion, the GA slide finish has shown no signs of wear or damage. Glocks are ugly anyway and the rust shouldn't bother me for the intended purpose of this gun, but it does. I haven't contacted Glock regarding this gun but I will soon. Their customer service is flawless in my limited experience.
Sights: I use Ameriglo Hackathorns and love them. These are very similar to Trijicon HD's. Incidentally, all of the LEO and instructors ran Hackathorns on glocks in the class I took.The orange ring on the front sight was super easy to pick up quickly in daylight.
Mods: on our first one, I undercut the trigger guard and smoothed the oem trigger blade as my wife complained that it irritated her finger. I also slightly trimmed the front of the trigger safety as it doesn't sit flush when depressed. I also installed a ghost connector that reduced pull weight to 4lbs.
Second gun, just a talon wrap. It worked for me just the same as the gun with mods so I left it alone. The ghost connector has since been removed from the first gun as it didn't add to accuracy compared to the second gun. My wife has now adapted to the oem trigger when shooting the newer gun.
Alternatives we considered: Kahr- trigger reach too short, reliability/break in concerns
Ruger LC9s- too small/thin
Keltec whatever - tried at the range, very snappy, junky feel
Sig P938- safety difficult to manipulate for both of us
Shield- viable alternative, I could go either way on this one, the Performance Center gun is very nice and best bang for buck by far, will probably replace my 43 if no CZ single stack comes along
Rami- wanted this one to win out but it's just too big, still want one though

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 09:27:31 AM »
I have the PPS M2. It shoots great, looks great but after 100 rounds my finger is ready to stop.
In my opinion, these small nines are not target or range pistols. I do shoot it occasionally and shot it enough to know it is very reliable. I have learned with these small pistols that the placement of the trigger finger is important.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline eastman

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 08:54:44 PM »
If I ever find myself owning a Glock pistol again, the only choice out now would be the G43. It is as close as a Glock has ever come to fitting my hand and functioning properly. That much said, for a 9mm single stack, the Ruger LC9s fits my hand better and has a better trigger out of the box.

I've fired the G42 at several manufacturer shoots (since it is probably the same Glock rep, it was probably the same pistol) and was never able to get it to fire all 5 rounds in the magazine without a misfeed. Maybe they've improved them, but it is nowhere near the reliability for me of the LCP or vz82.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »
I can't say I got a bad one. But I can say that I know there were problems with the first run g42s with reliability and something about the frame fit with the slide catch had to be changed. So the internal dimensions of the frame long with external dimensions of the slide catch were changed in their updated guns along with a minor change to the feed lip area of the magazines. That said, I haven't had the unfortunate experience to fire a glock, any glock, and it not go bang and load the next round. But everyone has only their experiences to go off of for personal pref. You should come to Florida and shoot mine. I'll loan it to you for a box of range ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 01:34:04 AM »
A rock solid Single Stack 9mm is the M43 FireStar:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/602249044
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline Leo1

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
I've had everything from a p938 to an xds9, all those guns did was make me realize that I hate single stack cc pistols. I am 6'2  185 pounds and wear slim fit clothes..... I carry my p-01 and previously a g19 through all seasons very comfortably and most importantly I have never had to ''dress around my pistol''. I am in Missouri where we get 100 plus degree summer's and down to 5 degree winters. Although... I carry appendix in kydex.

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
I put 350 rounds through the glock 19 today and actually, i really liked it. My groups were not as tight as i'd like but i enjoyed it. I shot another 150 rounds through my tactical sport, took a min to get use to the weight but it was carving the center, tight groups. Stopped by lgs, glock at little over 4# pull, TS at 1# pull.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 10:20:39 PM »
It sounds like that LGS has a bad trigger scale. Worn factory glock 19s shoot around 4.5#-6# and your ts, well I haven't seen one done safely pull under around 2#. Did you do something extremely weird to the guns or the scales?

Offline Roikyou

Wanted opinions about single stack ccw
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 10:23:15 PM »
I trust him, worse case its off by half a pound. Automatic Accuracy documented my tactical sport at 1 1/2# after race trigger job with flat face trigger. The TS has a very hair trigger, never a light primer strike but i have double tap if I'm not watching the trigger.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:25:31 PM by Roikyou »

Offline srREXed

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 10:37:23 PM »
I'm also forgetting the ts non-decocker trigger options. That's fairly impressive man

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 10:39:44 PM »
I wouldn't doubt its down to 1#, ive put 1000 rounds plus through since the build was finish. It's just flawless.

Offline eastman

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 01:23:49 AM »
I can't say I got a bad one. But I can say that I know there were problems with the first run g42s with reliability and something about the frame fit with the slide catch had to be changed. So the internal dimensions of the frame long with external dimensions of the slide catch were changed in their updated guns along with a minor change to the feed lip area of the magazines. That said, I haven't had the unfortunate experience to fire a glock, any glock, and it not go bang and load the next round. But everyone has only their experiences to go off of for personal pref. You should come to Florida and shoot mine. I'll loan it to you for a box of range ammo

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick with my LCP for the role of "little .380". The LCP has been flawless with every type of ammo I've fed to it.
I don't look like my avatar!

anything