Author Topic: Range day, with pics, of the wildest thing that's every happened to me  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Re: Range day, with pics, of the wildest thing that's every happened to me
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 06:21:10 PM »
I've always wondered about a light sprung extended firing pin set up being sold, then new owner changes springs to stock, not aware of the extended pin causing primer pierces.  Do I worry too much?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:23:05 PM by Tyerone »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 06:29:21 PM »
Den, thanks for that info on the Federal brass.

You're the first one who has mentioned also having similar trouble and it being FC brass.

I think I'll start picking the FCs out of the containers as I work through, resizing, cleaning, etc.  I wonder just how much of my 9MM brass is Federal......  We'll see.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 07:22:49 AM »
This warning issued by ATK has convinced me to move away from Blue Dot for maximum or close to maximum loads for any caliber. Apparently they have experienced some pressure spikes at the upper end of pressures with this powder in its latest formulation. Might have been a contributing factor.

At Alliant Powder, we take safety seriously. That?s why we periodically test our products in different situations to be sure our use recommendations stay current. Check here for any safety notes or recall information. Stay safe and keep accurate.

Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.

During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot? should not be used in the following applications:
?Blue Dot? should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot? recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
?Blue Dot? should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).

Use of Blue Dot? in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
What is the date on that warning notice?

The Blue Dot I'm using was some powder my dad bought years ago.  He passed away about 3 years ago and he'd virtually stopped bird hunting (reloading) 2 or 3 years before that.  I might be able to see a date/lot number on that can of powder, I haven't really looked, but it's probably 6 to 8 years old, maybe older.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »
I saw the warning in early 2000. A lot of the top loads using BD in all of the loading manuals soon disappeared for the small and medium caliber revolver and pistols. Case head separations happen and there may no be a direct cause pointed to one particular thing. I know there were a lot of them when trying to use Clays in long loaded .40's for major and this was a direct result of pressure spikes. Since the warning I found other powders for top loads and just leave Blue Dot out of these. Didn't know if you had seen this and that is why I posted the warning.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
Seems like I'd heard about issues years ago, but not recently.

The Alliant website lists 8.5 grains of Blue Dot for a 115 grain Speer hollow point.  I'm using 8.0 grains.  I can't recall the COL off the top of my head.  The Alliant website doesn't list a 135 grain bullet load.  The lightest they list is 155 grain with 11.0 grains of Blue Dot.  I'm running the Nosler 135 grain hollow points with 10.8 grains of Blue Dot.  I can't tell you the COL.  I know I started out as long as I could get them (the P07 and P09 were fine with that, but the Beretta 90-Two wouldn't chamber them).

Thanks for the info.  I've got a lot of lead bullets waiting for some load work ups.  I may try to find some Blue Dot/light/lead load data to try.