Author Topic: Picked it up today!  (Read 2909 times)

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
Picked it up today!
« on: December 07, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
I finally got close enough to my FFL to pick up my Black Friday 97B. I managed to make it home before dark and put a few rounds down that shiny new barrel. I have ordered all of my parts so I hope to have a great time this weekend doing the action and installing the SAO trigger and Race hammer along with a good set of competition sights. It is everything I expected and I am very happy to finally own one. Now if I can just find enough time to shoot it as much as I want.
It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.

Offline thedude

Re: Picked it up today!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 06:59:07 PM »
Congrats!  I would like to try a out a 97B some day!!

Offline rich63

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:30:03 PM »
SPO1SHADOW,

That's awesome you finally got that 97 you wanted. It shoots nice doesn't it? I have a 97 bd with ambi decocker & CGW Pro-Package installed. I have the Hogue wrap around grips installed and I cannot tell you how good if feels in the hand. Looking forward to upcoming posts once you all the CGW parts installed.

rich63

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 12:02:11 AM »
Outstanding. I also bought a 97B recently. Surprisingly the hammer locked in the cocked position at 100 rounds the first time I shot it. The hammer was back and I couldn't get it to go forward pulling the trigger, with the slide on or off. Weird. I figure it was the decocker causing the problem. It didn't matter because I had already orderd an SAO trigger and race hammer like you did. I also got an extended safety lever so now it's identical to all the parts I have in my 75B SA.

What sights are you going to put on it?
"Guys, you're seeing boogers in your oatmeal."
- Bret

Offline Danjoe

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 12:52:51 AM »
Awesome, let's see some pictures!

Offline Joe L

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 07:46:29 AM »
The 97 is the perfect .45 to me.  Ergonomics similar to the 75 but the grip depth is different so the reach to the trigger is different.  It's a large handgun.  But, with 185 gr bullets and whatever powder Atlanta Arms uses in their JHP match ammo, it is so pleasant to shoot.  Recoil impulse is slower and lighter than on a 75B with 130 PF 9mm ammo.  The only thing I had to do to mine was trim a little material off the slide lock nubbin to avoid bullet nose interference for the JHP rounds I shoot in it.   The interference will push the round to the right a little and it will not feel smooth as it is redirected by the ramp in to the chamber. 

As far as the hammer sticking experience that delphidoc mentioned, I've heard of that happening on the 97 (as well as other steel frame CZ's).  I don't remember the details, but I think some of the frame slots were either a little narrow or had some burrs on them.  Apparently the slot is tapered so that the hammer position when in the fully cocked position has no side wobble, so any change in the dimensions on the hammer or slot will result in just a little tighter fit than needed.  The solution is to stone the slot first and then the hammer, if needed, and install the hammer without the spring and see if the interference is gone.  You can feel the interference by removing the hammer spring and pulling the trigger with the slide off and moving the hammer over its full travel.  It will tighten up as it reaches the cocked position and loosen as it approaches the firing pin position.  I don't think this is hard to fix at all.   It would tick me off a little to have to do it on a new pistol, however.  Perhaps check for a hammer slot that is too narrow when you put in your race hammer, assuming you haven't already installed the parts.

Enjoy your new 97.  It's the one pistol that has gotten a lot of 1911 aficianados interested in CZs. 

Joe
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:48:53 AM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 11:30:47 PM »
Outstanding. I also bought a 97B recently. Surprisingly the hammer locked in the cocked position at 100 rounds the first time I shot it. The hammer was back and I couldn't get it to go forward pulling the trigger, with the slide on or off. Weird. I figure it was the decocker causing the problem. It didn't matter because I had already orderd an SAO trigger and race hammer like you did. I also got an extended safety lever so now it's identical to all the parts I have in my 75B SA.

What sights are you going to put on it?

I ordered the CZ Custom Tactical fixed black rear and a Dawson .100 wide front FO. They came in today. The rest of the parts should arrive today. If they do I will have it all installed by lunch. The sight picture is superb! I also installed the 85 Combat magazine release, quite an improvement over the stock OEM unit.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:31:32 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline rhart

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 02:28:21 PM »
Nice looking 97.

Offline thedude

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 07:37:28 PM »
I ordered the CZ Custom Tactical fixed black rear and a Dawson .100 wide front FO. They came in today.

Nice!

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »
Well my parts finally arrived but not on Saturday as was expected. I came home early today and put in the wide sear, removed the FPB out of the slide and the lifter out of the sear cage. I installed the CGW's Race hammer and the SAO trigger, Reduced power TRS, 13# hammer spring and the CGW's extended firing pin. Took her out to the range this afternoon and found I needed a shorter front sight, went through my stash and found a .125 tall specimen and it was perfect. I have a 3# trigger pull that breaks like glass and after sending 20 rounds down range nothing but a gaping hole in the target. My grips should be here Friday and I ordered a Shadow manual safety that will need to be fitted to the new hammer. Almost done.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:29:32 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline Joe L

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 06:06:30 PM »
Wow, I love reading reports like this!!! :) :) :)

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline jt57

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 10:56:45 AM »
SPO1SHADOW, where did you get the old style 85 Combat extended mag release?

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 05:24:25 PM »
SPO1SHADOW, where did you get the old style 85 Combat extended mag release?

Found it on the link below and it is a whopping $18.00.

https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420005304_Magazine-Catch-85-Combat

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 09:41:14 AM »
I got the wide Shadow safety installed this morning. I had to fit it to the Race hammer and then cut off and radius the extra part of the longer D shaft that sticks out on the right side of the frame. I marked around the portion of the shaft with a scribe, cut it off slightly long and then polished off the cut marks and put a slight radius on the end so it would easily slip through the hole in the right side of the frame. I like the larger safety much better as it give my thumb a place to rest. The grips should be here today and we will call this project done.

Offline billthemarine2862

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »
Congratulations!  I just got a 97B last week.  Did the SAO conversion as well.  Very happy with the results! 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

U.S. Marine (Retired)
CZ Tactical Sports .40
CZ 97 B
Stock 3 Elite