Author Topic: Looking for a 45ACP that is very accurate and good for competition.  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Dan_69GTX

I currently have a CZ Target II.  I Love it!  I'd like to find a gun that is either equivalent or can be made to be equivalent to the Target II but that is chambered for 45ACP.

By competition, currently I just do fun shoots, steel challenge, and "super steel" (knock down steel).

When I say equivalent I'm looking for:
- small grouping size.
- possibly DA/SA but SA is fine.  Don't want just DA.
- Can do or already has a nice sweet trigger.
- this would not be intended as a carry gun.
- I prefer steel frame but would consider looking at other things.

What do you recommend and why.

Where I live the only guns that are stocked are the cheaper and non customized guns, so I need to start looking somewhere else, but want to at least have an idea what to ask for to see if they might have something to fill what I want.

Thanks!
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline IronicTwitch

Re: Looking for a 45ACP that is very accurate and good for competition.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »
1911 or 2011 sounds up your alley.  I like Dan Wesson for 1911's.  There's a few 2011 makers out there, but prices get nearer $2K and up.  45ACP would be a less common chambering, so you might find s deal on a STI Edge or similar.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:34:38 PM »
Have you looked at a CZ 97B?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:17:16 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline Danjoe

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 03:02:23 AM »
The world of 1911s is nearly endless. If you like CZs, you should check out the CZ 97B. You might also want to check out SIG P220s or P227s.

Offline Badger54

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
Might I also respectfully suggest a CZ97B or BD. It is DA/SA, steel framed and has a 10 round capacity. I have a 97BD and it is very accurate and a joy to shoot. I haven't done any upgrades to my pistol yet, but folks on this forum have upgraded their 97s and their comments have been very positive about it. So, it fits a number of your criteria. I also have a Sig P220 which is another fine pistol, but is has a alloy frame. I have big hands (wear XL gloves) and the P220 the grip it is a bit small for me because it is a single stack magazine. .

Good luck with your search, and let us know how it all goes for you.

Offline TNman

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 04:24:54 PM »
Another consideration would be the Sig P320 full size 45 ACP. Striker fire with an excellent trigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IDPA   |   USPSA  |   NRA

CZ PCR   |   RAMI BD   |   Shadow 2   |   P-10 C   |   CZ 75B Omega   |   CZ 97 BD

Sig P320 Comp. & Full & X-Carry
Sig P226 Legion
Springfield XDS Mod 2 45

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »
Thanks to all for your recommendations. 

I'll have to find someone or someplace that has a 97B to look at.

My Dad has a Ruger SR1911 (http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6700.html) and an FNX 45 http://www.fnamerica.com/products/handguns/fnx-series/fnx-45/

Neither of these guns is nearly as accurate or consistent as my SP-01 Target 2.  I know it isn't me since I was benching the guns.  Yea, I tried various ammo (factory and a bunch of different reloads) and got some that work much better, but still - not great.   The 1911 is much better than the FNX.

If I went with a 1911, is there a make and / or model that is much better than the others?

If I went with the CZ97B or BD is that a gun that CZcustom or Cajun can customize (trigger, etc) and or do something to make the accuracy better (if necessary)?  One mandatory item would be a fully adjustable rear sight.

Thanks!

I know a good accurate gun is not cheap.  I'd like to find something in the 1500-2000 range.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 08:04:15 PM »
I've used the stanadard DA/SA Tanfgolio/EAA .45 Witnesses for USPSA Limited 10 Major and highly recommend them!
There are also some more expensive Competition Models of the .45 Witness available that will also do very nicely.

From Left to Right
EAA Witness .45 (1992)
EAA Witness .45 (2004)
SAR K2-45 (2013)

For Single Stack, I have used a Citadel 1911 .45 and highly recommend them, as well.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 08:46:04 PM »
Thanks to all for your recommendations. 

I'll have to find someone or someplace that has a 97B to look at.

My Dad has a Ruger SR1911 (http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6700.html) and an FNX 45 http://www.fnamerica.com/products/handguns/fnx-series/fnx-45/

Neither of these guns is nearly as accurate or consistent as my SP-01 Target 2.  I know it isn't me since I was benching the guns.  Yea, I tried various ammo (factory and a bunch of different reloads) and got some that work much better, but still - not great.   The 1911 is much better than the FNX.

If I went with a 1911, is there a make and / or model that is much better than the others?

If I went with the CZ97B or BD is that a gun that CZcustom or Cajun can customize (trigger, etc) and or do something to make the accuracy better (if necessary)?  One mandatory item would be a fully adjustable rear sight.

Thanks!

I know a good accurate gun is not cheap.  I'd like to find something in the 1500-2000 range.
https://cajungunworks.com/product/01411-cz-97b/

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Tanfgolio/EAA .45 Witnesses.

Earl  - thanks for the link.  My wife has always accused me of being blind!   :o

Offline studenygreg

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
How about a springfield range officer?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 08:21:47 PM »
I have a 97B (in stock form) and a CZ 1911-A1 (modified with Wilson Combat Bulletproof parts).  At some point, I would like to work the action like I have done on my 75B's and do a BE bushing conversion through CGW.  I know the potential the 97B has.  I also know that the recoil in the 97B is considerably less the 1911.

Offline RenegadeDave

• Pontificating on the Process
    • My Youtube Page!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 07:34:18 AM »
Springfield Range Officer, Dan Wesson Point Man, Sig Sauer MAX

The Sig Sauer MAX would be my recommendaiton.  It is an FPB gun, the trigger is still OK, but it has legitimately anything else you could want on a 45. 

The reason I wouldn't suggest a 97B is it's not legal in pretty much any other competition. 
Check out my Youtube channel! I geek out on CZ's and post match videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoliathGT

Offline Joe L

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 12:29:01 PM »
The reason I wouldn't suggest a 97B is it's not legal in pretty much any other competition.

Dave, is it because of the weight?  I think the 97B will fit the IDPA box but I haven't checked.  It is probably too heavy, however.  But golly the 97B is good for anything it can meet the weight and size limitations for.  An example is bullseye, which is what I use mine for.  For someone that comes from a 75B frame background, and likes the CZ ergonomics, a 97 is a pretty darn good choice, I would think. 

Here's an old video. 

https://youtu.be/XwUryXx8Ls4?list=PL7GbOFIiTV0woTe-22GvoVjUa3ZVSKiOH
Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline RenegadeDave

• Pontificating on the Process
    • My Youtube Page!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »
full length steel dust covers are verbotten in IDPA CDP (45 division), and I believe it's too heavy for SSP (43 oz w/ magazine). 

USPSA you could shoot it limited 10, but nobody shoots limited 10.  you could shoot it production, I guess.  But why?
Check out my Youtube channel! I geek out on CZ's and post match videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoliathGT