Author Topic: CZ 82: slow squeeze in single action decocks the hammer  (Read 1071 times)

Offline zbillster

CZ 82: slow squeeze in single action decocks the hammer
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:04:22 PM »
Was out on the firing range the other day, and noticed that on some shots, when I was slowly pressing the trigger in single action, instead of the hammer snapping forward, it would release and be held by my trigger finger, thus I could "decock" it by releasing the trigger.

Here is a video demonstrating the problem.

Any ideas? I took it apart and sprayed the heck out of the hammer area, just to make sure it wasn't crud affecting it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:45:54 PM by zbillster »
CZ-75B | CZ-75 PCR | CZ-82 | CZ Kadet Kit (sold) | CZ-75A in Airsoft | And ... um ... other brands

Offline bregma

Re: CZ 82: slow squeeze in single action decocks the hammer
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 06:20:51 AM »
Exact same thing mine does. If you hold it sideways or. Upside down does it work normally?  Was told the sear spring probably broken on mine. Pl

Offline afultz075

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:52 AM »
I don't know if this would directly translate to the CZ 83 design, but when this happens on a CZ 75, it is usually because the disconnector is getting caught on the trigger bar as the hammer falls.

Offline zbillster

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 11:41:03 AM »
It's easier to replicate the issue if I apply pressure at the bottom of the trigger. It was also harder to replicate sideways.
Searching this forum, worn/broken sear springs and disconnectors seem to be a common problem.
CZ-75B | CZ-75 PCR | CZ-82 | CZ Kadet Kit (sold) | CZ-75A in Airsoft | And ... um ... other brands

Offline afultz075

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 12:56:25 PM »
I've had to replace an 83 sear spring before, but what happens if that spring is bad, is typically failure to cock in single action, and a DA-only effect. It might be worth a shot to replace though (that spring is not fun to replace).

I am thinking maybe a slight chamfer to the leading edge of the hammer lever will fix this problem and cause it to "skip" over the trigger bar while the hammer falls in SA mode, at least, that is how this problem is corrected on the CZ 75 platform.

Don't take my word as the gospel though, as my acumen on the CZ 83 isn't the greatest, admittedly.

Offline bfnt77

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 01:10:21 PM »
I had this exact problem on my 82. It was the trigger bar disconnector on the right side of the frame. CZ sells replacements but there are 5 different ones #1-5. More than likely the original will not be marked but the ones I got from CZ were. I ordered all 5. Drill out the end of the rivet (order a couple of those too), put the new rivet through the hole and then try each disconnector until the trigger falls correctly. It's easy to hold the disconnector in place while you try the trigger. When you find the right one use a punch to flare out the end of the new rivet.

Offline Masonread318

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 11:54:00 PM »
Just curious to see if that fixed it for you.

Offline zbillster

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 01:19:55 AM »
Just curious to see if that fixed it for you.

I haven't fixed it yet ... I was waiting for more input from the vox populi before I buy five different trigger disconnectors.  :o

I'm inclined to take it to a gunsmith for his opinion, but I would hate for it to end up being a $200 fix for a $300 gun.

Offline Masonread318

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 10:19:31 AM »
I don't blame you. I think they are bad about doing that. If you take your slide off you can look in the ejector hole to see if the sear spring slipped out of it. It's a tiny little spring. If it is you will see the end of the spring sticking through the hole. That requires a complete rear down. It's not fun. I bought 10 different springs for mine and couldn't get it to stay. So I bought and new sear and auto safety. That didn't help so I bought a new ejector. I haven't wanted to take it back down again. It's been 2 years. I'm considering doing it again but I'm not going to unless I have a seat spring that has a longer top (straight end)  I had it working but it ended up slipping back out. I think the gun is just worn out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Offline zbillster

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »
I'm inclined to just stick the CZ82 in storage and then sell it as-is "someday" when the age and hopefully value increases.
It's just too complex a gun to work on, and gunsmiths hate them. It's already been to the gunsmith twice for other issues.

The only catch is I've got 1000 rounds of 9mm Makarov ammo left and nothing to shoot it in, and no new Makarov-caliber guns being manufactured.
I bought a surplus Bulgarian Makarov 15 odd years ago, but that one was shot-out too and had issues ... I don't seem to have good luck with surplus guns.
There are some new, unissued Makarovs out there for a premium ($400+) but hard to, cough, pull the trigger on one when they used to go for $150 or less back in the day.
Makarovs ARE much simpler with far fewer moving parts and easier for DIYers though.

Offline zbillster

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »
So I'm getting two confirmations from different members that it's the trigger disconnector, so I will try that next.
If I put pressure up on the right side of the trigger bar, the hammer seems to fall without problem, so maybe that interface is worn on the trigger disconnector.
I emailed CZ USA to see if there's a better way to determine which of the 5 disconnectors I need to order ... to avoid buying all 5 and doing a trial-and-error sesson.   :-\

Offline Masonread318

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 11:26:23 PM »
If i do rebuild mine again ill put a picture heavy detailed post up. I had one on facebook but i got tired of facebook and deleted my account.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Offline zbillster

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 01:47:26 AM »
Haven't "fixed" it yet, but was at the range this weekend and took it along, with four 50-round boxes of Makarov ammo. I shot all four boxes through it, and let's say 98% of the time the trigger behaved itself. I just did a post-session cleaning, shot a little Rem oil into the mag release mechanism, trigger pivot and hammer pivots and area, and after reassembly the trigger seems to work better, especially if I cycle the slide firmly, replicating range conditions, instead of just thumbing the hammer back. I'll see how it behaves next time at the range.