Author Topic: Opinions about G34  (Read 1977 times)

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
Opinions about G34
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
I'm working on putting a G34 together but was still on the fence about it. I can see only minor advantages of a G34 over a G17. Here is what I see and why. I'd like for ROIKYOU to give me an opinion here.

-Cost of the platform to start is about $100 more in MOST cases for G34. BUT, it has:
-longer sight radius
-longer barrel
-longer slide
-almost the same weight as G17
-recoil is negligible between them but it seems may be more manageable for the G34 due to the weight balance
-same ammo g17
-same frame g17
-am I missing anything?

Longer barrel and slide: means better sighting with longer radius and better accuracy. But what if I'm just planting a red dot on the slide?

Also, the pistol as a G34 is pretty much either a field battle pistol, or a steel match range pistol. Good luck if you want to carry concealed with that mamma jamma. I won't ever want to carry the gun.

I'm basically wondering to save some money to go with a 17 instead. I'd like for you to talk me out of saving the money for more appropriate reasons. FYI I have a frame already, so I'm basically just going to pick up a barrel and slide and fill the slide up with the parts I've got already from all of my glock aftermarket and factory. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:38:18 PM by srREXed »
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline Roikyou

Re: Opinions about G34
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
Im the worse to talk you out of it. I thought about a 19 with compensators that would match the barrel length and supposedly out perform the 34 but didn't like the idea of an over the top 19 with compensators. The  34 has a little lighter trigger and adjustable rear sight. I went with the mos to avoid milling for the rmr. The 34 slide is cut supposedly to increase cycling. Ive owned the 17, the 19 is versatile, thought id try something different and went with the 34.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:15:20 PM by Roikyou »

Offline RenegadeDave

• Pontificating on the Process
    • My Youtube Page!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 10:12:44 PM »
I had a a couple 17s, a 19 and a 34.  If you aren't going holographic sights, I'd say the 34 all day long simply for the sight radius.  If you are, save the money and go 17.  The 34 can load a little lighter but the slide is also more sluggish.  My 34 preferred lighter grain bullets, and at my gun club that was sacrilege at the time - everyone was supposed to shoot 147s over titegroup.  I tried to get a 17 and make it be a "Do all" gun... I couldn't get comfortable with it for IWB carry.  I think I may have found a holster now that could accomodate me and it, but at the same time, i don't particularly care to. 

That all said, I'm used to the sight radius of a 4.6" barrel gun so were it me I don't know that I'd pay the extra money, I'd probably make due with the 17. 

I wouldn't even try to convince you to keep it USPSA/IDPA legal since you're wanting to go the red dot route. I can't connect with a Glock like I can a CZ or pretty much any other modern service pistol. 

Next Glock I win I'm probably just going to keep so I don't get tempted to scratch the itch again.  I've divested of glocks 2x now.  And I always seem to confirm there is no chemistry there. 
Check out my Youtube channel! I geek out on CZ's and post match videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoliathGT

Offline Joe L

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »
I'm working on putting a G34 together but was still on the fence about it. I can see only minor advantages of a G34 over a G17. Here is what I see and why. I'd like for ROIKYOU to give me an opinion here.

-Cost of the platform to start is about $100 more in MOST cases for G34. BUT, it has:
-longer sight radius
-longer barrel
-longer slide

Longer barrel and slide: means better sighting with longer radius and better accuracy. But what if I'm just planting a red dot on the slide?

sirREXed,

I've shot 4", 4.6", and 5" pistols out to 100 yards with red dots.  (All CZ's, no Glocks!)  There is a small difference in the zero due to the small muzzle velocity differences but no difference in accuracy, in my opinion.  The key is the red dot.  Certainly there is a difference in repeatability of sight placement with irons, which favors the longer barrel/slide. 

Perhaps with a looser barrel to slide fit and lock up, the longer slide length may help the mechanical accuracy, but there simply isn't any slop in the CZ's, thus no discernible difference in accuracy due to mechanical fit versus barrel length. 

That said, I like the additional weight of the long slide gun, and the recoil dampening, etc. of the long gun.  But out to 100 yards from a rest, the 4.6" guns hold their own.  Even out to 200. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7GbOFIiTV0xt-yUxqYvFX6tek_pEmLes  link to some videos, if interested

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »
THIS ISNT A THREAD HIJACK. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE OP HAS FOUND WHAT THEY WERE LOOKING FOR. THIS IS JUST A QUESTION UNRELATED TO CONCEAL CARRY AND SINGLE STACK GUNS, BUT STILL RELATES TO THE BRAND GLOCK IN THE CONVO.

Yeah, no. Even with the uppercase typing that's exactly what it is.

That's why I've split the topics.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:20:21 PM by Grendel »
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:40:54 PM »
THIS ISNT A THREAD HIJACK. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE OP HAS FOUND WHAT THEY WERE LOOKING FOR. THIS IS JUST A QUESTION UNRELATED TO CONCEAL CARRY AND SINGLE STACK GUNS, BUT STILL RELATES TO THE BRAND GLOCK IN THE CONVO.

Yeah, no. Even with the uppercase typing that's exactly what it is.

That's why I've split the topics.

Ok ty. Appreciate that. I would have started a thread but the viewers were already there...

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 03:00:15 PM »
Now I'm curious what you ended up doing. This is about the G34 btw. I finally got my G34 back with truglo tfx supressor sights (weirdest looking things) and trijicon dual illuminated rmr. I had someone put it together as I just didn't want to install the sights and RMR which are really straight forward. The person did a trigger job, which I'm starting to wonder why I do trigger jobs any more unless it's a CZ. Took it to the range, one shot is all I could get without getting a ftf. People mentioned the 34 slide being sluggish, I'm wondering if the weight of the RMR just made it impossible. That was just a bad day at the range. I had a g19, it was getting light primer strikes and my CZ TS was fine for a little bit, then all of a sudden, dead trigger. Pull several times, once in a while the hammer would drop. Hope your experience with the G34 is better, this is my second RMR/glock combo with issues. First one was a G17 mos, I had one of the infamous mounts where the RMR flies off when you shoot it. I think it's a sign to leave RMR's alone.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 11:17:07 PM »
I run a gen3 23 with a 9mm extractor and barrel with a lot of other sweet things I've done to it. Even when it was in .40 it never gave me a hiccup. With the zev fulcrum ultimate and all the other things you'd think it would shoot like crap but the gun is world class. None of the glocks i own, or have owned, have ever gave me weapon related malfunctions. Induced malfunctions with different ammo types and spring rate adjustments is just part of dialing it in. Depending on what all else you have in the gun, you may have to run a different recoil spring because of the weight difference in your cycle. I just know what ammo likes what spring rates and know if I'm shooting competition loads, or just range white box stuff I've got a flatwire spring with all the bases covered. Pop a spring off the captured rod and swap out the lbs rated one I need for full cycling. I went pretty light after running the 9mm conversion parts I put together. And to be honest, the slide already ran a red dot with .40 so I probably just got lucky with my spring rate adjustments   You need to stop by the zev website and get a ismi flatwire spring kit and guiderod for the 34. That gun needs to be able to get its needed adjustments for ammo. And with striker springs from 2lbs to 6lbs you should probably get 3lbs 3.5 and 4.0lbs striker springs and swap them from light to heavy until you no longer get the light strikes.

I didn't build the gun yet, although the frame has been sitting around since March last year. Lol. but I picked up a zev dragonfly G34 slide for 250$ shipped  during some of the holiday deals. ..waiting for the barrel I had setup the way I wanted for the compensation ports. It's out for prettification after the porting.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »
I had one of the infamous mounts where the RMR flies off when you shoot it. I think it's a sign to leave RMR's alone.

I'll take the rmr off your hands if you're getting rid of any. I haven't had the opportunity to pick one up yet with all the mini FPV quadrotor stuff going on in my workspace as of late.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 06:57:38 AM »
..with all the mini FPV quadrotor stuff going on in my workspace as of late.

You could hang some paper from it and have a mover to practice on! 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
I run a gen3 23 with a 9mm extractor and barrel with a lot of other sweet things I've done to it. Even when it was in .40 it never gave me a hiccup. With the zev fulcrum ultimate and all the other things you'd think it would shoot like crap but the gun is world class. None of the glocks i own, or have owned, have ever gave me weapon related malfunctions. Induced malfunctions with different ammo types and spring rate adjustments is just part of dialing it in. Depending on what all else you have in the gun, you may have to run a different recoil spring because of the weight difference in your cycle. I just know what ammo likes what spring rates and know if I'm shooting competition loads, or just range white box stuff I've got a flatwire spring with all the bases covered. Pop a spring off the captured rod and swap out the lbs rated one I need for full cycling. I went pretty light after running the 9mm conversion parts I put together. And to be honest, the slide already ran a red dot with .40 so I probably just got lucky with my spring rate adjustments   You need to stop by the zev website and get a ismi flatwire spring kit and guiderod for the 34. That gun needs to be able to get its needed adjustments for ammo. And with striker springs from 2lbs to 6lbs you should probably get 3lbs 3.5 and 4.0lbs striker springs and swap them from light to heavy until you no longer get the light strikes.

I didn't build the gun yet, although the frame has been sitting around since March last year. Lol. but I picked up a zev dragonfly G34 slide for 250$ shipped  during some of the holiday deals. ..waiting for the barrel I had setup the way I wanted for the compensation ports. It's out for prettification after the porting.

I agree, it's all about finding the right springs where there are no more ftf or light primer strikers. The impatient side of me will have the whole gun sold in the next couple days to pay for more CZ projects. I'm sure I mentioned but I shoot the tactical sport better than when I had the M&P pro core 5" with the same RMR. And with the SP-01 with Cajun trigger and P-01 Cajun trigger soon to be finished, I'll find it hard to want to shoot the Glock. Plus a potential Rami in the works also.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 12:34:24 AM »
..with all the mini FPV quadrotor stuff going on in my workspace as of late.

You could hang some paper from it and have a mover to practice on! 

Joe
I'm actually putting something together to take to all the civ/Leo training we host at my shop to have some footage to go over with our students and trainers.... As soon as the dang cameras I ordered come in and my mini VTX ground receiver kit as well. Then I'll have quads to fly around forward of the firing line. And if. They get hit, they're less than $100 each and I've got a few sets to use. My buddy's thought that was a great idea for training. And I get to play with flying RC toys and guns all at the same time. Can't beat that.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:36:28 AM »

I agree, it's all about finding the right springs where there are no more ftf or light primer strikers. The impatient side of me will have the whole gun sold in the next couple days to pay for more CZ projects. I'm sure I mentioned but I shoot the tactical sport better than when I had the M&P pro core 5" with the same RMR. And with the SP-01 with Cajun trigger and P-01 Cajun trigger soon to be finished, I'll find it hard to want to shoot the Glock. Plus a potential Rami in the works also.

So you wanna sell me your dual illum or what?

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
Ill end up selling the 34 as a whole package, rmr is red loctite. Even with blue loctite on the m&p, i couldn't remove it any more. I also want to make sure there are no ftf or light primers before i get rid of it also.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »
Ok go to zev'S website a order up a spring kit for the striker and for the guiderod. Make sure to get whatever is cost effective so you're not wasting money for something you won't be enjoying. That should really be it for your reliability issues.

anything