Author Topic: Welded Trigger Pack  (Read 6197 times)

Offline Ohio_OJ

Welded Trigger Pack
« on: December 19, 2016, 11:55:20 AM »
Hello,

Just got my new EVO and it has the welded trigger pack, just wanted to let you know it came out easily with a die grinder and 1/8" burr bit; took about 5 minutes total and did not damage the screw.

Offline Nightst0ne

Re: Welded Trigger Pack
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »
Do you drill dead center right at the screw?

Offline Ohio_OJ

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
Yes pretty much, just ground in about 1/16" and the screw came right out; the screw was not even tight in the threads coming out. After I got the screw out I touched up the screw end on a bench grinder to make it pretty  :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:32:11 PM by Ohio_OJ »

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:26:29 PM »
lucky sob, lol. Mine the top of the weld looked like soft serve ice cream or a bad solder job "it had a long folded over peak" spent forever grinding that off to get a flat enough area to get the drill bit going without it walking or skipping. and I had to drill pretty deep before the weld finaly let go and the nut spun  >:(.
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 09:37:50 AM »
Mine the top of the weld looked like soft serve ice cream or a bad solder job "it had a long folded over peak" spent forever grinding that off to get a flat enough area to get the drill bit going without it walking or skipping. and I had to drill pretty deep before the weld finaly let go and the nut spun
Yeah, mine was similar. They got pretty good weld penetration and I had to go into the case a little to get the washer to spin.

No big deal. I replaced the screw and eventually replaced the case ($18) just because I'm a bit anal retentive on those kinds of things.

Offline TT92

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »
My weld is horrible, and I'm afraid I might have gummed it all up last night.

Because of the shape of the bead, I was not able to get the drill centered.  So I kinda drilled around it it in a few places, figured I'd just destroy the weld all around and sacrifice the collar in the process. Now it looks like Godzilla chewed on it, and the screw is still tight as ever.

I used a drill press to keep things as in-line and steady as my meager tools and skill allow.

Any advice?  Should I just keep drilling the darn thing and hope to eventually get it loose?  I know there are services offered by certain gunsmiths, but I kinda wanna do this myself.

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
If you have a drill press and some decent tools, you should be golden.

I'd dremel (or similar) grind the weld as flat as possible first, then use a center drill to start off. A HSS or carbide drill with oil should be good.

I used the HBI carbide drill (the loaner available in the sticky threads), which worked great.

Offline Jmoreno88

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
My weld is horrible, and I'm afraid I might have gummed it all up last night.

Because of the shape of the bead, I was not able to get the drill centered.  So I kinda drilled around it it in a few places, figured I'd just destroy the weld all around and sacrifice the collar in the process. Now it looks like Godzilla chewed on it, and the screw is still tight as ever.

I used a drill press to keep things as in-line and steady as my meager tools and skill allow.

Any advice?  Should I just keep drilling the darn thing and hope to eventually get it loose?  I know there are services offered by certain gunsmiths, but I kinda wanna do this myself.
I had the same problem with mine. I ended up just drilling as much as i could and then i broke the rest of the little welded bushing off with a flat head screwdriver. I didnt really care about damaging the screw as I already had a new one that I ordered. If you don't have one then i highly suggest going to the hardware store to get one. The most important thing is to not drill down too far where you can damage the threads that the screw goes in to. I almost did with mine so its possible

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline TT92

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
Really appreciate you folks helpful advice.

I was <this> close to buying that mill bit, but decided to give it one more try.  Finally got it.  Took a total of about two hours (please don't laugh... too much).

Somewhere in this whole process I stripped out the head of the original Allen screw holding the trigger pack in. I think I used the wrong size Allen wrench.  In the end, I wound up drilling down into the screw from the trigger guard side, using a very small drill bit positioned through the access hole in the guard.  Then I took a small file and cut a slot into the screw head.  Finally, I used a regular screwdriver to unscrew that stoopid little mangle Allen screw.

Nuff said on all that.  Got the HBi spring set in and she's all back together.  Holy smokes, what a difference in the trigger those two little springs make! Prolly gonna get some Range time tomorrow.

Offline Jmoreno88

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 03:55:34 PM »
Really appreciate you folks helpful advice.

I was <this> close to buying that mill bit, but decided to give it one more try.  Finally got it.  Took a total of about two hours (please don't laugh... too much).

Somewhere in this whole process I stripped out the head of the original Allen screw holding the trigger pack in. I think I used the wrong size Allen wrench.  In the end, I wound up drilling down into the screw from the trigger guard side, using a very small drill bit positioned through the access hole in the guard.  Then I took a small file and cut a slot into the screw head.  Finally, I used a regular screwdriver to unscrew that stoopid little mangle Allen screw.

Nuff said on all that.  Got the HBi spring set in and she's all back together.  Holy smokes, what a difference in the trigger those two little springs make! Prolly gonna get some Range time tomorrow.
Glad it worked out for you. Did you polish the internals? makes a big difference and smoothes up the take up

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline eMGunslinger

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 05:01:27 PM »
If you guys ever need help with them I only charge $22 shipped back and do your HBI trigger parts installs as well.
Usually do 10 or so a week
Taylor Pickerell
https://www.facebook.com/TaylorPickerell
taylorpickerell@yahoo.com

Buhler Ballistics
Buhlerballistics@yahoo.com
07/02 MFG and MG Repairs

Offline eMGunslinger

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 08:51:25 PM »
I know many people are talking about drilling out the weld, but really, these are a lot better suited than a drill.  I promise.

https://drillsandcutters.com/3-8-carbide-4-flute-single-end-end-mill-drill-america/

It will snap a carbide endmill every time, you can't grab the pack ridged enough
Taylor Pickerell
https://www.facebook.com/TaylorPickerell
taylorpickerell@yahoo.com

Buhler Ballistics
Buhlerballistics@yahoo.com
07/02 MFG and MG Repairs

Offline kyron4

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 03:50:35 AM »
I must have got lucky, my weld was dished out in shape. I used a wide angle 1/8" carbide bit and a cordless drill on my living room floor and had the collar off in about 2 minutes or less. I did mar the front of the hammer a little, just cosmetic, but make sure you put tape on the top part of the bit.

Offline Patriot04

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 10:30:44 AM »
Are there any photos available for us newbies so we can see what your talking about? I won't be purchasing until next week and may be able to avoid the weld.
Thanks!
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” J.B. Books

Offline Patriot04

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 12:01:19 PM »
Thanks!  :)
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” J.B. Books

anything