Author Topic: 3rd times not a charm  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
3rd times not a charm
« on: December 22, 2016, 05:39:08 PM »
 >:(
So far not very happy with the FTF nose dives with my new RAMI.  My first 2 CZs have been stellar swallowing everything.  This CZ not so charming.  I've had 10+ FTF out of 273 rounds over 2 shooting sessions.  1 Herters Brass Case 115gr, 4 Win NATO, 124gr, 4 Rem UMC 147gr and 1or more with Speer Lawman 147gr.  Photobucket isn't working for me else I'd have posted a picture of the feed ramp / chamber where it shows where the bullet likely hangs up --it scrapes through the carbon on the ramp, leaves a little bit of copper.  There also seems to be bullet dimples on the chamber edge.   After cleaning, I can't feel any nicks, bumps, etc in this area.  When it shoots, its pretty much on target, a little low at 10 yards.  Fairly easy shooting double taps as well.  All my failures have been with full size mags used after firing the 2 included mags without a hitch.  Thinking the grip on the extended mag may been contributing, I switched to the 2 finger grip keeping right hand pinky in the air, but also had failures doing that.

Should I contact CZ about this or just do my own sanding of the feed ramp, which seems to be hanging up the bullet nose?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:40:46 PM by Tyerone »

Offline Ruber

Re: 3rd times not a charm
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
If you have the time and don't mind sending it in, odds are you will be happy with the results.

Take a look through this thread...
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=82054.0

If you do go it alone, there are lots of rough spots to look for that can cause problems.  Here is a quote from the work that was done in that thread:
Got an email from CZ today that they are finished with my Rami and I will have it back soon.  Super fast turn around; one week!  Here are their comments:  "Adjusted feed ramp, extractor, slide stop, breech face lead in and firing pin hole."  Not sure what all that means exactly, but I hope it solves the problem. I can't wait to get it back.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:03:06 PM by Ruber »

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:39:28 PM »
Yeah, I'll break out the case, figure who to send my report and photo to, and see what they suggest.

Offline robertk7

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »
I had some trouble with mine could not run defensive ammo with open tips, tracked it down to a magazine I found out I was using the same mag when testing out different types of ammo when I tried more magazines it narrowed down to a single one being bad.
I haven't tried to fix the mag yet but hope to check it out further.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 11:02:53 PM »
Sent info to CZ over the holidays with pic of feed ramp and details.  Shipping label received today, the first day back from the holidays if I'm not mistaken.

Offline O.B.B.

• This space for rent
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 06:23:16 AM »
Sounds like good customer service so far. I haven't had any issues with mine. Hope it's something simple for them.
I'll think of something witty to put here sooner or later.

RAMI BD
PCR

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:10:08 AM »
Initial report indicated receipt of fed ex shipment.  Estimated turnaround 4 to 6 weeks.  They will send weekly updates as to the status.

Well I received the first update yesterday:
Description: Fail to feed
Work Performed: Adjusted lead angle, extractor, slide stop, and polished feed ramp, function tested good, test fired good.
Once your firearm has shipped, you will receive an additional email with tracking information from FedEx within 24hrs.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:05:55 AM by Tyerone »

Offline Ruber

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 09:39:11 AM »
Very cool, hope it is back in your hands soon!

Offline Ruber

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »
Any updates?

Offline nando

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 03:40:56 PM »
I had the same issue with my 455 in 17hmr. Sent it in and had it back in 2 weeks. Never had the problem again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
It is good to go.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
CZ USA definitely removed a bunch more material than I would have had I guessed with a finger sandpapering of the feed ramp!  They also put a nice beveled edge <somewhere>.  I did have a FTF during a session exceeding over 150 rounds (80 rounds into it).

No problems with the self defense rounds I put through it EXCEPT that I had a hard time hitting the gong from 17 yards in my back yard range -- kept shooting under it.  I think I'll need to "re-calibrate" my brain on paper to see exactly where I'm hitting with my favorite Federal HST 147gr.  I also shot 124gr Golden Saber and 115gr REM JHP.  As I mixed and matched the magazine loadings, I may have adjusted my aim at the gong for the (N-1) cartridge.  I'm sure they all would been lethal shots on the bad guy at 5-7 yards, but missing so much kind of rattled me.

I can't believe I'm already just shy of 600 rounds downrange with the RAMI during this shake out!

I have a UBG OWB leather holster with belt snaps on order for it.  Can't wait to compare it with the Nightingale Leather version I have for the PCR -- the first leather holster I really had to break in.

Offline Ruber

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »
Thanks for the report, it is amazing how much fit and finish CS does on these, I wish they came from the factory that way.

I'd agree that working on one load at a time and getting your poa worked out on paper is worth while, seems to me the smaller guns are a bit more affected by changes in ammo.

I'd be interested in seeing how the holster works out, I still haven't found one I really like.

Have fun!

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 10:59:06 PM »
I'm sure I'll figure POI out.  It does shoot nice tight groups with Herters 115 grain!  It is probably time for a 9mm  3" barrel shootout with the Beretta PX4sc and Nano that are already SD  "calibrated" to 147gr HST.  Maybe CZ uses a different twist rate, as it wasn't until joining the CZ club that I really came to appreciate WIN 9mm NATO on paper!  8)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 08:48:03 PM »
Update:  147gr HST shoots nicely, 1" high at 12 yards 2 handed unsupported but concentrating.  I must have been getting excited at my first 4 rounds grouping within 1.5 inches as my 5th and 6th shot of the group yielded my highest and widest left holes on paper stretching the spread out to 2.25".  I'm tickled.

Interestingly,  the 115gr Herters stuff grouped tightly but  over 4" below POA at 10 yards.  To hit the gong at 15 yards with the Herters stuff I had to aim above the gong!  Hmmmmm...

Offline verity

Re: It is good to go.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »
CZ USA definitely removed a bunch more material than I would have had I guessed with a finger sandpapering of the feed ramp!  They also put a nice beveled edge <somewhere>.  I did have a FTF during a session exceeding over 150 rounds (80 rounds into it).

Could you please upload a photo of the feed ramp now that they removed some steel from it?
I have the same problem - lots of FTF when I use my CZ Shadows 18-round mags in my RAMI and not a single FTF when I use the 10-round mags that came with my RAMI.
The bullets always gets stuck with the nose of the bullet on the flat surface just before the ramp with no way to slide up.

anything