Author Topic: Question re: suppressors.  (Read 459 times)

Online ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
Question re: suppressors.
« on: December 23, 2016, 03:49:10 PM »
Now that my state (MN) allows citezens to have a suppressor, I'm curious if one suppressor could serve multiple platorms.

I'd like to have one suppressor that would work for my CZ 452 in .22LR, an AR-15, and my S&W Model 41. The caliber is the same but I can imagine that one for .223 would be larger than one meant for 22LR. What I'm wondering is if one built for a .223 AR-15 would function as well, or better perhaps, on a 22LR platform.

I really just want one for the AR, as it's a loud sob in the covered bench area at my range, and even just 30 rounds increases my tinnitus while wearing both foam plugs and headphones, or custom molded silicon plugs and headphones. If it could work with the 22LR's, I have the barrels threaded for it too, to get better ROI for the $200 license for the can and $$$ for the can itself.

Sorry if this is a lame question, but only recently has it been even possible to consider owning one here, so I've not paid much attention.

Thanks in advance!

Happy Holidays Everybody!

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline Sikiguya

Re: Question re: suppressors.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 05:18:11 PM »
Jack of all trade.  Master of none.  They do have what you ask for....but you will lots of cons including size, ease of cleaning, and a lowered efficiency in suppression.  Get a .22 like a Sparrow 2.  Then get a centerfire one.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Offline bang bang

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 06:13:51 PM »
the next time youre at your local shop that sells them, take a look at the difference for what you want to do.

then make up your mind if thats what you want to live with.

different strokes for different folks.

now with that said, you never know whats around the corner in terms of technology.

maybe someone is working on a variable one where you can "dial" your caliber where it would work for a 50 BMG down to 17 HMR and that will fit in a cigar tube.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:15:31 PM by bang bang »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 07:26:48 PM »
I don't own a single suppressor, but I would think that one that worked for a .223 would also work for a .22 rim fire.  Not the other way around, the .223 has so much more muzzle blast/pressure than a .22 rim fire.

While some suppressor screw on the barrel threads you can also buy quick connect/disconnect flash suppressors (meaning they screw on the barrel like a standard flash suppressor but the suppressor then can be attached or removed in a quick connect/disconnect manner).  The bullet diameter difference between .22 rim fire and .223 is almost not a difference.  I have a couple .22 adaptors that allows me to shoot .22 rim fire in my AR15's (takes different magazines of course).

Go to the Silencer Shop  http://www.silencershop.com/silencers.html   and do some reading/comparing.

If the hearing protection act passes, I plan on buying two or three myself.  A dedicated .22 rim fire, a .223 and a 9MM.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 11:08:43 PM »
One for 223 won't work because rim fire is dirty and requires one that can be disassembled to clean.  223 and 300 blackout is a good combo with separate 22 like a sparrow. Give me a shout in spring and you can check out the Sparrow. Have not decided if I am doing my blackouts or not yet.

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Offline KnightSchneider

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 11:25:03 PM »
larryflew hit it

most 5.56 rated cans are not user serviceable; if you run a lot of .22LR through it, you will fill the can with lead and fouling, which will progressively reduce the volume and effectiveness of the suppressor; this is why rimfire cans are user serviceable.

rimfire ammo truly is filthy; 1000 to 1500 rounds of 'clean' .17HMR, and I'll scrape a pretty good pile of crap out of my Sparrow.

Offline PPS1980

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 02:41:39 PM »
If you go get a suppressor I recommend buying it through your range.  Visiting and being able to use it during the completely unacceptable wait for the tax stamp moderates that wait a good bit in my experience.  My friends that bought for a few dollars cheaper from someplace else are very frustrated while I get to use mine whenever I want as long as the range is open. :)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline fl_rich

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »
My Liberty Suppressor MysticX is certified for almost 60 calibers from 22 rim thru 300 blackout including 223. Requires additional parts to adapt them (of course).

Here is a video of my almost my set up. I have a SZ 75 SP-01 Tactical (Urban Grey) and the MysticX

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 02:41:29 PM »
If you go get a suppressor I recommend buying it through your range.  Visiting and being able to use it during the completely unacceptable wait for the tax stamp moderates that wait a good bit in my experience.  My friends that bought for a few dollars cheaper from someplace else are very frustrated while I get to use mine whenever I want as long as the range is open. :)

How exactly does this work?  I really like the idea.

Offline PPS1980

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »

How exactly does this work?  I really like the idea.

Your FFL that sells the item can allow customers, under supervision, to use the item on their premises.  So, I get conjugal visits with my bought and paid-for suppressor whenever I visit the range I am an annual member at already.  Once the tax stamp comes in I can actually take the suppressor with me when I leave the range. Until then, they store it in their vault and are responsible for it (check it out and then in when I visit).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline bugeyes

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 11:40:09 PM »
I second for Liberty Mystic X, truly a one can do it all.

Offline The Conservative

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »
One thing though.  11 oz is on the heavy side to hang of the front of a pistol.  My Sprectre at 7 oz is a bit on the heavy side.  I offset this by using an alloy sleeved barrel to cut the weight.  It can be done but it will be really front heavy.  I once shot the .22 pistol (Buckmark) with my 30 cal can just to do it.  It was a quite as the .22 can, but again at 12 oz it was not fun, but doable.
“The projectiles need to go where they will make the guy leak the quickest.  Your goal is to depressurize the circulatory system – let air in, let fluid out. Bonus points for any other disruptions, but don’t count on them.”   Pat Rodgers

anything