Author Topic: 557 varmint issues  (Read 6242 times)

Offline Lampworker

557 varmint issues
« on: December 30, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »
Hey guys!

Hoping to have a discussion about my recently purchased 557 varmint and some problems I am having.

The 557 varmint comes with the 19mm integrated dovetails,  every product I found that would fit the 19mm dovetails would not sit high enough to give me anything close to acceptable eye relief. I think this is mostly due to the high cheek rest of the stock. I contacted cz twice about this problem and they could not help me, they directed me to 1" rings they carried or the warne rings for the 550. I had already purchased the Warne rings which were not high enough at 1". On many stock photos of the rifle it shows a picatinny rail attached to the dovetails. I asked cz about this mount specifically and they told me they did not carry it and did not know if it is being produced. The cz rep told me they had other complaints regarding the issue with the 557 varmint and eye relief.

Wasnt gonna stop me, the rifle fits a lot of the criteria I was looking for and seemed well made, it at the very least was very nice looking. So my solution was to modify an EGW mount for the 550. With that rail installed and leopold medium rings on top of that I have now achieved an eye relief that I can live with. So, excitedly, I took my rifle to the range today for the first time only to find that the rifle will not eject spent casings. It will eject live rounds no problem but a spent case will not eject. This happens with and without the EGW rail installed.

I am obviously going to contact cz when they open again on Tues but I wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience with this rifle and had encountered either of the problems I am having. I'm really disappointed at this point, I absolutely love my sp-01 and really hope these problems are isolated.

Thank you guys for any help,
D

Offline painter

Re: 557 varmint issues
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:46:18 PM »
What caliber? What ammo?

Is it extracting the case, but not spitting it out the ejection port, or is it not extracting the case from the chamber?
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Lampworker

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:53:25 PM »
Should have been more specific. It's in .308 and yes it does extract from the chamber but does not spit the case out of the ejection port.

Offline Lampworker

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:57:06 PM »
Same problem with three types of factory brass ammo.

Offline painter

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:22:12 PM »
Sounds like a problem with the ejector. The manual for the 557 isn't available for download so I'm not certain exactly how it operates, but I'd look there.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline JRR

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:42:44 PM »
Farrell makes them, but you would have to drill and tap.  Superb quality!
https://www.kenfarrell.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_32&product_id=83

Offline Lampworker

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
Just got of the phone with Jeff at cz, he was very helpful. He says that they are aware if the problem regarding the 557 varmint and are working with the factory to provide replacement stocks with different geometry that should solve the problem.

The problem i was having with ejection was caused by the mount I was trying to use and has since been resolved.

Really happy to have talked to someone who is concerned about the problem and working to resolve it. Thank you Jeff! He said to check back over the next couple weeks to check on the progress with the stock replacements.

Offline Redeker

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »
I am very interested in one of these models and would like to hear what cz is going to do. I had my lgs ready to order and have put it on hold till I learn more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Lampworker

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 06:05:27 PM »
Probably a smart move to wait. Outside of Jeff at cz I am having a hard time getting anyone in warranty or parts to feign interest in the problems I had with the rifle. Still waiting on a call back from parts.

Offline MXSENIOR

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 12:55:40 AM »
Looks like Lampworker isn't the only one with issues with the 557 Varmint.  Mine has the same problem with getting the scope high enough to obtain any sort of visual thru the scope.  Wound up doing the same thing he did - cutting up a 550 rail to raise the scope.  Talked to CZ first and was told that if I sanded the comb down to get adequate eye alignment - it would void my warranty.  CZ is having new stocks made for the sold Varmint models.  From what I gather, they/we have been waiting for more than 5 months.  I bedded the action a couple of months ago - wonder if that will void the warranty?  To add gasoline to the fire - was cleaning the rifle this weekend and noticed I now have a cracked stock - at the wrist just below the action.  Love the gun - but this one seems to be snake bit!!

Offline coolbox

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 07:20:00 AM »
I had the opposite problem with the CZ550 Varmint, which I have now sold (to upgrade to a custom FTR rifle).
I wanted to use a 34mm tube scope, but there were no 34mm rings made for the CZ dovetail. I got hold of a Rusan picatinny rail, slide on type, and Warne high rings.

Its then that I found out stock comb was too low for any 34mm scope. (I anticipated this, but...).

I would have really liked the 557 varmint stock for that rifle I guess.

The factory dovetail from CZ (in CZ550) is really something that needs to give way to picatinny type options. Once I switched to picatinny rail, I had worlds of options in terms of mounts and mounting height etc.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline ZG47

• Firearms Safety Instructor, Target Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
You could always talk to NECG about suitable ring-mounts.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline Willfully Armed

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 12:45:58 AM »
Regarding ring height issues,  have you considered the factory 20moa rail?  https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/19011_Adapter-Rail-Cz-550-19mm-Dovetail-20-Moa

Offline plustiano

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 09:12:03 PM »
@Lampworker, Did you get any follow ups from cz regarding ring options yet? I see on the Czusa webstore, There is a 34mm ring option that is available with a .383 ring height. Does anyone have any good info yet?? I'm waiting on my Schmidt & Bender Pm2 to arrive hopefully by th end of this month and would like to get it out to the range immediately.

Offline MXSENIOR

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 10:34:26 PM »
Okay,  Talked to CZ warranty dept (Corey) on Friday.  As a new guy, he didn't know about the eye height issue with the Varmint model.  I explained everything to him along with my issue with the cracked wrist on my stock.  Informed him that since CZ had no replacements in the pipeline, I had gone ahead and repaired it myself.  He stated, after a discussion with others in the background, that they still had no idea when the corrective stocks would be available.  So I pushed the issue and asked if I sanded the comb down myself, since I wanted to use the lowest rings possible - would it invalidate the warranty when the new stocks finally came in. After further discussion with the background others, he stated that it would not void the warranty.  On Saturday, spent 15-20 minutes with a hand held small orbital sander slowly removing the unneeded height on the comb.  Checking often, by setting my shooting mat up and testing the height until I got proper eye alignment.  Worked great.  Tested it out at a hundred yds on Sunday. Will post pics of results after I test a few more types of ammo and stretch it out to 250yds.  If everything works there, I'll go ahead and refinish the stock.

anything