Author Topic: Problems with new Makarov 380 ACP pistol  (Read 964 times)

Offline CaptainKniferun

• Never cook bacon naked.
Re: Problems with new Makarov 380 ACP pistol
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »
So update: I was able to meet up with the local gunsmith (Who did not appreciate his sleep being interupted, thought I was able to placate with thoughtfully brought beer) where we were going to do our shooting, and the headspace seems to be fine, thought he did comment the cosmoline might be interfereing with the chambering slightly. Mineral spirits bath will follow. Took it out in the fine, cold Montana weather, and tried out the different boxes (WWB, and American Eagle), as well as 5 rounds of the Rem ammo (Tis all we dared brave).

So while there was some slight bulging on the WWB brass, there was almost none on the American Eagle brass, and once again, the Rem ammo had the severe bulging out of the brass we managed to recover (This was amusing: we "borrowed" my friend's cowboy hat, and tried to catch the ejected brass with it). So while there is still some slight bulging, seems its the Rem ammo that has the worst of em all. Will post pics of the brass later, as I need to warm my bones up after spending 3 hours out in -10 degree temps. How we suffer for our hobbies...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:34:49 PM by CaptainKniferun »
"Friendly fire...isn't..."

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 03:01:39 AM »
Good to know you're making a minor bit of headway uphill it seems. Did the smith fall asleep on the job? I always have things to work on at the shop. Couldn't imagine being at that bored working on firearms and builds to be falling asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline CaptainKniferun

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
Good to know you're making a minor bit of headway uphill it seems. Did the smith fall asleep on the job? I always have things to work on at the shop. Couldn't imagine being at that bored working on firearms and builds to be falling asleep.

He's an older fellow, who doesn't get as much business since he lives out in a very small town, next to the wild country (Where we went shooting), and apparently likes it that way. He's technically retired, but takes up the odd jobs since alot of hunters tend to go through the area, and he's usually the only option if something happens when they go hunting (Which also means he gets to charge more). My buddy knows him pretty well (He's had him do some revolver work, and some 1911 smoothing), and was the one who suggested the beer, since he likes sleeping in on weekends (Least around this time, since hunting season's over, and it was -10 degrees).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:17:17 AM by CaptainKniferun »

Offline CaptainKniferun

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
Also, brass pics! Its really, really hard to see the bulge on the winchester white box. Its that slight, and there was none on the America Eagle brass (Least what we could recover. It was in deep snow, and this was before we used my buddy's hat to catch the brass). The 4 out of the 5 Remington (1 went wild, and bounced somewhere into the truck bed) had two decent brass, and two majorly bulging casings like before.

First up: Rem brass:

Next, Winchester Whitebox:

Finally, American Eagle/Federal:

Let me know if more pics are needed.

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 02:00:18 PM »
Did you get your hands on a 9x18 round yet?  It shouldn't be that hard to find. 

Offline CaptainKniferun

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »
Did you get your hands on a 9x18 round yet?  It shouldn't be that hard to find.
Not yet. My other source was sold out, and the only other place is the gunshop where I bought the gun in the first place. I'll pick some up when I stop by to grab the steel-cased 380 ACP rounds the guy ordered for me. Also, fun fact: I found out steel 380 costs about as much as steel 9x18 mak ammo.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:27:04 PM by CaptainKniferun »

Offline PPS1980

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 04:10:28 PM »
Are you seeing a difference between 1st shot fired and subsequent rounds in the rate or degree of case bulging?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 06:46:56 PM »
Looks like not only the weather could be one degree of how severe the bulging is, but ammo type for sure. Between all the stuff you shot.... The degree of how 'hot' the loads were, did you notice the bulging more severe according to how hot it shot? If the round has more pressure from the load volume, I'd think you would see something more or less according to that thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Whitebox is one of my factory go to ammo types and is very low pressure compared to some of the other ammo I constantly shoot.

Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline CaptainKniferun

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 09:55:29 PM »
To PPS1980: For the most part, the bulging was random, and not really consistent with shot sequence, but keep in mind we didn't exactly watch that too stringently, since cold, plus a few casings missing and hitting the snow, plus not as sure of shot order.

To srREXed: I did consider the weather, and the only way to find that out is wait for summer, but otherwise it seems for now to be ammo type. Only the Remington bulged out to such a degree. From what I've heard, Rem does on occasion kick out bad batches of ammo, and it was the cheaper stuff (least for brass 380. Thinking being "Its a Makarov. Can't kill it."), so potential you get what you pay for + bad batch. Not planning on buying anymore to continue testing, mind.

Offline PPS1980

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 08:09:01 AM »
To PPS1980: For the most part, the bulging was random, and not really consistent with shot sequence, but keep in mind we didn't exactly watch that too stringently, since cold, plus a few casings missing and hitting the snow, plus not as sure of shot order.

The reason I ask is slam fires from a protruding firing pin as a possible culprit.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »
To srREXed: I did consider the weather, and the only way to find that out is wait for summer, but otherwise it seems for now to be ammo type.

My Russian Commercial .380 Mak shoots any ammo in all kinds of weather.  I have carried it while hunting is sub zero temps, and shot it during those times, and it has been flawless.

Offline CaptainKniferun

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 07:33:10 PM »

The reason I ask is slam fires from a protruding firing pin as a possible culprit.

Ah, ok. Next time I go shooting, I'll pay closer attention. Mind telling me any other telltale signs you know of?