Author Topic: Problems with new Makarov 380 ACP pistol  (Read 4583 times)

Offline CaptainKniferun

• Never cook bacon naked.
Problems with new Makarov 380 ACP pistol
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »
So I recently picked up a new, never shot before Makarov pistol, chambered in 380 ACP, and i'm having issues with slightly bulging brass casing after shooting it from the pistol. I went out shooting last weekend, with 100 rounds of Remington UMC, and noticed the bulging after picking up the brass for potential reloading later (Will post pics of the brass later, as I have had a long day, and don't feel like getting up.)

Figured I'd ask the forum if they have any insight on the issue, like perhaps it may be the ammo, it'll break in over time, or something.

"Friendly fire...isn't..."

Offline CaptainKniferun

Re: Problems with new Makarov 380 ACP pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:57:59 PM »

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 09:03:14 PM »
I have a Russian Commercial Mak in .380, two Bulgarians, and an East German.  I have had them all for over 20 years, and never had the issues in which you describe.  Maks don't need a break in period.  They should be good to go out of the box.  I have never had any type of failure with a Makarov.  You may have a defect in your chamber, or it may be the ammo.

You don't think someone could have installed a 9x18 barrel in that .380 Mak, do you? 

Offline CaptainKniferun

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
I have a Russian Commercial Mak in .380, two Bulgarians, and an East German.  I have had them all for over 20 years, and never had the issues in which you describe.  Maks don't need a break in period.  They should be good to go out of the box.  I have never had any type of failure with a Makarov.  You may have a defect in your chamber, or it may be the ammo.

You don't think someone could have installed a 9x18 barrel in that .380 Mak, do you?
Possible, though I did bring this back from the gunshop after work today, and the guy who sold me it checked it with a gunsmith buddy of his, and its apparently a .380 ACP barrel. I was kind of tired, but he mentioned some kind of barrel weld/feed ramp issue.

Edit: Hang on, got off my ass, and currently uploading more pics.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:15:45 PM by CaptainKniferun »

Offline PPS1980

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »

Possible, though I did bring this back from the gunshop after work today, and the guy who sold me it checked it with a gunsmith buddy of his, and its apparently a .380 ACP barrel. I was kind of tired, but he mentioned some kind of barrel weld/feed ramp issue.

Edit: Hang on, got off my ass, and currently uploading more pics.

The barrel ought to be marked with the ammo its designed for - I'd old fashioned and don't trust the seller to tell me everything is ok with a weapon that is malfunctioning.  I'm funny that way.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline CaptainKniferun

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
Problems with new Makarov 380 ACP pistol
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »
Ive got a p64 polish Radom that shoots 9mm makarov. 9x18 and .380 (9x17) are very similar casings but are very different in the chamber. I'd double check what chambering youve got there. The barrel may have been incorrectly stamped, or may have ended up on the wrong frame... Just .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline srREXed

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 12:13:26 AM »
I would get that gun headspaced and double checked. Either buy some go-NOGO gauges or take it to a local shop to have them do it. In house smith will probably just do it no cost for you if you have em on a nice guy day

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 09:49:17 AM »
I would get that gun headspaced and double checked. Either buy some go-NOGO gauges or take it to a local shop to have them do it. In house smith will probably just do it no cost for you if you have em on a nice guy day

^^^^^This.  Also, does a 9x18 round fit into the chamber?  I am not saying to try to shoot one, just see if it fits.  My .380 barreled Makarov has no markings on the barrel to indicate what caliber it is.  It is an IJ70-17A in Satin Nickel finish.  The 17 stands for 9x17.   

Offline Igrlik

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »
... i'm having issues with slightly bulging brass casing after shooting it from the pistol. I went out shooting last weekend, with 100 rounds of Remington UMC, ...
Did you try another ammo?

Offline CaptainKniferun

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 03:21:24 PM »
Sorry for not replying back, I kinda passed out tired after posting.

We're planning on doing some shooting this weekend, and I'm planning on buying some different ammo to test, including 9x18 (got a Bulgie mak on my list in 9x18 down the road), and the guy (who has gone above and beyond for me in the past) mentioned using steel case ammo, so i'll try and grab some (he also ordered a couple boxes for me, free of charge. Should be in next week).

Offline CaptainKniferun

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 08:01:22 PM »
Ok, now that i've had time to properly read your guy's post:

Makarov has an unmarked barrel. 380 cartrige fit's about the same as any of my 9mm luger pistols (by that, I mean the amount of wiggle in one of my 9mm luger pistols while seating unfired brass in the barrel chamber). I picked up some American eagle, and the infamous winchester white box, and will grab some steel case tul and 9x18 mak to test fit tomorrow.I didn't get a chance to ask the gunshop owner if he had the gunsmith do a headcase test, as he wasn't in when I picked it up after work yesterday, but since i'm stopping by his shop tomorrow, I'll ask.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:16:51 AM by CaptainKniferun »

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 12:56:39 AM »
Ive got a p64 polish Radom that shoots 9mm makarov. 9x18 and .380 (9x17) are very similar casings but are very different in the chamber. I'd double check what chambering youve got there. The barrel may have been incorrectly stamped, or may have ended up on the wrong frame... Just .02

The P-64 will do the same thing if you feed it brass-cased PPU brand ammo. The chamber is not fully supported due to relief of the feed ramp for improved reliability. They were designed for steel-case ammo, so that doesn't cause a problem with the chamber. Only soft brass has an issue.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline srREXed

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 03:37:12 AM »

The P-64 will do the same thing if you feed it brass-cased PPU brand ammo. The chamber is not fully supported due to relief of the feed ramp for improved reliability. They were designed for steel-case ammo, so that doesn't cause a problem with the chamber. Only soft brass has an issue.

Event though steel case is some corrosive stuff i only run THAT in my p64. I've come to find out that my other more 'sporting' hardware can eat the good stuff. The p64 is more of a oh crap I need to keep a low profile today type of piece. That and there's lots of folks who don't want to swear by it to defend themselves. I only carry it once in a blue moon, never had a hiccup since I bought it though running some brown bear 9mm makarov. And boy does that ammo pack a wallop in that frame boy. My hand hurts just thinking about it.

HEADSPACE THAT GUN OP!! DONT FIRE IT AGAIN UNTIL YOU DO -PLEASE -FOR THE SAFETY OF YOU AND YOURS SIR!

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »

I do shoot mostly steel cased Russian ammo in my Makarovs, but have also shot PPU, S&B, and Hornady defense ammo in all of my 9x18 pistols including, two Bulgarian military Maks, and an East German.  My Russian commercial Mak is in .380 and that gets my reloads (brass cased) mostly.