Author Topic: Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act 2017.  (Read 4998 times)

Offline K3JB

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act 2017.
« on: January 10, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
 What are your thoughts on this new Bill? How will it affect legal Out Of State CCW holders? Say if you live in NYC and have a out of state license from Florida?
Richard
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline tattooo

Re: Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act 2017.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:27:58 PM »
I think it only will only allow ccw holders from their state to carry nationally, not if you have a fla ccw but reside in NYC etc
I hope I am wrong

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 02:06:29 PM »
The last thing we need is Fed.gov involved in CCW - in any shape or form
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
The last thing we need is Fed.gov involved in CCW - in any shape or form

I'd like too see the states that allow carry all get on the same page as far as reciprocity but I agree we certainly don't need the head aches that federal involvement will bring.

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »
What is really needed is a Supreme Court decision stating that just as states are required to honor other states driver's licenses and marriage licenses, they must also apply full faith and credit to other states CCW.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline K3JB

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:33:37 PM »
That would be nice Eastman
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline cntrydawwwg

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act 2017.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 12:13:48 AM »
What is really needed is a Supreme Court decision stating that just as states are required to honor other states driver's licenses and marriage licenses, they must also apply full faith and credit to other states CCW.
  Even better would be that permits are unconstitutional, and no permit needed for carry across the board.
    I understand what you're saying Eastman, but in a way I have to politely disagree. Just as we keep saying that "they" can't compare a privilege (like DL's for example) to a right (carrying),
I don't think we should compare them either. And if we compare these, then the laws have to be the same across the board. Just like driving and marriage laws are.
    I'd hate for the Supreme Court to say "Ok, all ccw's are the same. So now all states have to follow the same guidelines. We choose CA as the guidelines for the whole country."
    (Just picked CA off the top of my head as an example)
   Until "they" get it thru their thick heads that only law abiding citizens obey the law, it'll never truly be fair IMO.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:18:06 AM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 05:16:38 AM »
  Even better would be that permits are unconstitutional, and no permit needed for carry across the board.
    I understand what you're saying Eastman, but in a way I have to politely disagree. Just as we keep saying that "they" can't compare a privilege (like DL's for example) to a right (carrying),
I don't think we should compare them either. And if we compare these, then the laws have to be the same across the board. Just like driving and marriage laws are.
    I'd hate for the Supreme Court to say "Ok, all ccw's are the same. So now all states have to follow the same guidelines. We choose CA as the guidelines for the whole country."
   Until "they" get it thru their thick heads that only law abiding citizens obey the law, it'll never truly be fair IMO.

This sums it up pretty well. The thing is if the state and fed governments took the constitution literally we wouldn't even be having a debate about permits since they would not be needed. I just don't see states like CA, NY, IL ever falling in line and allowing carry especially like in states where permits are not required.
I'm not sure a supreme court decision could get us back on track with some of the recent rulings that clearly don't follow the constitution or anything the founding fathers would have agreed with.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »
I'm all for reciprocity, but after having taken my CCW class over break, I wouldn't want any of the people in that class to be carrying. They had such terrible aim and extrmely poor understanding of the law. Maybe FL is just really bad with CCW training methods, but this is one of the better classes as well. Some classes don't have any shooting. Whether you consider having a firearm a right or a privilege, there needs to be a standard for training.

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 01:57:13 PM »
I'm all for reciprocity, but after having taken my CCW class over break, I wouldn't want any of the people in that class to be carrying. They had such terrible aim and extrmely poor understanding of the law. Maybe FL is just really bad with CCW training methods, but this is one of the better classes as well. Some classes don't have any shooting. Whether you consider having a firearm a right or a privilege, there needs to be a standard for training.

I think mandating classes and having rather high licensing fees discriminates against those who can't afford those costs but who still may have a true need to employ their 2nd amendment rights.  I am not sure folks truly retain any info provided in those courses. I think people would be better-served spending more time shooting and learning their weapon systems rather than trying to understand the legal environment as described by folks who aren't legal experts
Ruger rimfire fan

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »

The second amendment is a right, not a privilege, and shall not be infringed. Once you start adding requirements to exercise it, you are no longer talking about a right. The point about rights is that they apply equally to everyone, good bad, or indifferent. You can't have it both ways.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »

The second amendment is a right, not a privilege, and shall not be infringed. Once you start adding requirements to exercise it, you are no longer talking about a right. The point about rights is that they apply equally to everyone, good bad, or indifferent. You can't have it both ways.

This is a fact. Everyone is entitled to the right and should a person decide to carry it is up to that person to practice and become proficient and not for any one else to decide how the right may be applied to a person regarding their skill level.

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »

I agree that your proposal is a much better fit to the Constitution and  the Founders' intent. I'd love to see that. What I posted is less desirable, but more probable.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »
What I posted is less desirable, but more probable.
    Sadly I agree.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline eastman

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
What I posted is less desirable, but more probable.
    Sadly I agree.

I live here in the DPRI, where it took a judge slapping the state to finally become the 50th state with CC