Author Topic: THANKS re: Sphinx Hammer Spring  (Read 7927 times)

Offline unionman

THANKS re: Sphinx Hammer Spring
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
I can't find the post now, but wanted to thank whoever recommended swapping the stock hammer spring for 17lb ones from Wolff on the Sphinx SDP Compact...just received mine today and swapped them in and it makes a big difference on the double action pull!  This is a fantastic trigger out of the box, but this is a cheap and easy (Sphinx Hammer springs are incredibly easy to swap) to put the cherry on top.

So, again, thanks to whoever suggested it!

Offline jng1226

Re: THANKS re: Sphinx Hammer Spring
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:26:20 AM »
I just bought a Sphinx SDP Compact and also found the trigger to be quite impressive out of the box. Then I read about the ZR Tactical Solutions hammer spring - which comes with a replacement firing pin spring as well - for $20. I ordered it and it is fantastic. Don't have a trigger gauge but agree with the description that it drops about 3-4 pounds from the DA and about 1 pound from the SA. It also has fired 500 rounds of mixed factory ammunition (Perfecta 115gr, Federal 115gr Aluminum and WWB 115gr) without a hiccup so I figure it's GTG.

NOTE: you do have to remove a cross pin to change out the firing pin spring, and it is directional, coming out from left side to right side, looking down the sights of the gun.

https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/shop/zrts-firearm-accessories/sphinx/sphinx-sdp-spring/

Offline unionman

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
That looks like a good setup as well. The Wolff Springs are cheaper...but I didn't notice much difference on SA...but, then again, I already thought SA was perfect in stock!  Thanks for sharing...I saw they also have a fiber optic front sight for the Sphinx!

Offline jng1226

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »
I agree the single action was near perfect out of the box, but amazingly the ZR Tactical Solutions spring kit improved it. Yes, they do indeed have the fiber optic front for the SDP pistols. I didn't order it when I bought the springs, but now I'm regretting that. I'm still holding out that some night sight options will be available as that's what I prefer on carry pistols but from what I've been reading it doesn't seem likely.

Offline unionman

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »
I agree, night sights will show up when they do...if they ever do!

Offline jaep1911

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 06:10:14 PM »
Hi OP - Which Wolff hammer spring did you buy and did you change the FP spring as well?

Thanks

Offline Hairlesswookiee

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 10:32:23 PM »
Where can I find instructions on how to change the hammer spring?

Offline unionman

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 12:22:33 AM »
It's super easy.

1. Take off the polymer grip panel.
2. on the bottom of the grip you will see a slotted screw, you only have to turn it enough a little bit to remove. It's not even loosening it, it's just lining it up so you can remove it...the screw has like a T in it.  You'll see.
3. Once the screw is out, you can pull the original hammer spring out and replace with a new one.
4. Re-insert the screw.
5. Replace grip panel.

Offline rhart

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »
I just bought a Sphinx SDP Compact and also found the trigger to be quite impressive out of the box. Then I read about the ZR Tactical Solutions hammer spring - which comes with a replacement firing pin spring as well - for $20. I ordered it and it is fantastic. Don't have a trigger gauge but agree with the description that it drops about 3-4 pounds from the DA and about 1 pound from the SA. It also has fired 500 rounds of mixed factory ammunition (Perfecta 115gr, Federal 115gr Aluminum and WWB 115gr) without a hiccup so I figure it's GTG.

NOTE: you do have to remove a cross pin to change out the firing pin spring, and it is directional, coming out from left side to right side, looking down the sights of the gun.

https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/shop/zrts-firearm-accessories/sphinx/sphinx-sdp-spring/

Are you sure about the direction of the cross pin removal? Everything I found said it comes out right to left - from extractor side to the opposite side and I remember when I changed mine it came out from extractor side to the opposite side - but I've worked on many guns since then and could be wrong. Someone could mar up their gun going the wrong direction.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline Rick53

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »

Are you sure about the direction of the cross pin removal? Everything I found said it comes out right to left - from extractor side to the opposite side and I remember when I changed mine it came out from extractor side to the opposite side - but I've worked on many guns since then and could be wrong. Someone could mar up their gun going the wrong direction.
I'm sure Everything on the Sphinx is Left to right> You'll never get out a pin like the FP on the slide going out R-L. I did everything possible on mine. Including polishing. Every single pin is left to right.  Sorta like the Right tight left loose saying.

Offline dummykid

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 12:46:18 AM »
I'm sure Everything on the Sphinx is Left to right> You'll never get out a pin like the FP on the slide going out R-L. I did everything possible on mine. Including polishing. Every single pin is left to right.  Sorta like the Right tight left loose saying.

I think you mean out is from right to left, and in is left to right?  BTW, I just purchased the extra Pin from Kriss, 2pins+shipping is about $24, not bad tho. Thanks for letting me know Kriss can sell the pins.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:47:56 AM by dummykid »

Offline dohc97

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »
I can't find the post now, but wanted to thank whoever recommended swapping the stock hammer spring for 17lb ones from Wolff on the Sphinx SDP Compact...just received mine today and swapped them in and it makes a big difference on the double action pull!  This is a fantastic trigger out of the box, but this is a cheap and easy (Sphinx Hammer springs are incredibly easy to swap) to put the cherry on top.

So, again, thanks to whoever suggested it!
So you just replaced the factory hammer spring with the Wolff unit and nothing Else?  Anyone knows how heavy is the factory Spring? How's the reliability with the Wolff spring?

Offline unionman

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »
Yes, that's what I did and it's run fine.

I have recently seen the trigger kit from Modern Weapons systems that has 3 different weight hammer springs and also a reduced weight firing pin spring (and new firing pin) for 79.99 that I might try out.  It says you can get it down to 8lb in DA and just over 4lbs in SA.

Offline dohc97

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »
Yes, that's what I did and it's run fine.

I have recently seen the trigger kit from Modern Weapons systems that has 3 different weight hammer springs and also a reduced weight firing pin spring (and new firing pin) for 79.99 that I might try out.  It says you can get it down to 8lb in DA and just over 4lbs in SA.

Did you use the full size 17lb hammer spring or the compact 17lb hammer spring?

https://www.gunsprings.com/CZ/75%20Series/cID1/mID16/dID91

Offline Rick53

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »
2 things ( Get a Trigger return spring from Cajun: https://cajungunworks.com/product/rp-trs-reduced-power-trigger-return-spring/
WATCH THIS VIDEO It makes the Sphinx with this set and Cajun return spring a different pistol. Worth every penny spent