Author Topic: Question on refinishing barrel  (Read 1964 times)

Offline MetalGravy

Question on refinishing barrel
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:22:04 AM »
I don't know if this is the appropriate subforum for this question, but here goes.  I have a new SP-01 on the way, and am interested in having it refinished.  I plan to go 2-tone: black for the controls, barrel, and some other parts; NP3 for everything else.  While I don't doubt that cerakote or Roguard will be okay on the non-wearing surfaces, I don't know what would be appropriate for the barrel.  I see that on CZ Custom's website there are blackened barrels for the P-07 and P-09 (ex. http://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/barrels-complete-upper/cz-p09-barrel-9mm-standard.html), but neither the listings nor the 2016 catalog state the finish type.  I was thinking about IonBond for the wearing surfaces (barrel, slide stop, hammer), but don't know if it would wear down the NP3 since it may be harder.

As an alternate option, I was wondering whether there is a durable enough clear finish available so that I could have the black polycoat removed and clear coat the steel underneath.  I know that AlumaHyde II and Moly Resin are available in clear, but don't know how durable they are.

Offline schmeky

Re: Question on refinishing barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »
If you like black, PVD is hard to beat.  This is essentially the same as Melonite or Tennifer. 

Offline MetalGravy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 01:17:30 AM »
Hey schmeky, thanks for responding.  After looking at Sigs a while back, I had assumed that PVD was limited to a nickel-like color.  After a little more poking around, though, it looks like PVD is the surface treatment and can work with a variety of colors.  Found this, http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/13/sig-sauer-legion-pvd-finish-concerns/, which has me a little concerned.  How quickly do you think that Roguard would wear off of the pin part of the slide lock, the firing pin stop, and hammer?

Offline schmeky

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »
We don't recommend any spray-n-bake coating on hammers, pivot pins, etc.  If a finish is needed, we suggest only a plating or chemical processes that do not introduce build-up.

Offline Shadow2

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:20:28 PM »
Sounds like a question for Robar they would know what works well with NP3

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 10:31:08 PM »
I have an NP3 CZC Hammer. Dry fired plenty of times and shot plenty of times. Probably 3-4k times. Still looks new.

Offline MetalGravy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »
Sounds like a question for Robar they would know what works well with NP3

I figured to ask CGW, since they also apply NP3.  Thanks to schmeky's suggestion, however, I've spent an obscene amount of time the last few days researching PVD.