Author Topic: CZ 527 in .223 accuracy problems.  (Read 18715 times)

Offline Floridashooter

CZ 527 in .223 accuracy problems.
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:09:52 PM »
I have owned two CZ 527 Americans  in .223 w/1-9 twist  since 2014.Both have Leupold 4-12X40 Rifleman scopes on them.And neither have much range time.
Anyway,I have them sighted in at 100yrds.Shooting from a bench w/Harris bipod,niether one can do better than 3"groups,which is unacceptable.
I have heard guys getting better than 1/2" groups.I'd settle for 1" I am a decent shooter,and I also let  shooting buddies try w/same results.
I have used Federal 5.56 55 grain FMJ,American Eagle .223 55grain FMJ Nd American Eagle .223 62 grain.And various ammo my buddies shoot succesfully in their rifles..Some better,but all unacceptable.
I really doubt that both rifles have bad barrels.Sounds like maybe I am using the wrong ammo.
Don't want to give up on these rifles because I actually like the way they handle.Nice triggers too.
Can someone suggest something?Maybe the ammo they are successful with.
 Thanks

Offline Kayaknjames

Re: CZ 527 in .223 accuracy problems.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 06:29:31 AM »
I was having issues with my carbine at first. Seemed the barrel fouled easily, and groups would go to heck. It got better with a couple hundred rounds. Also i started using Fiocchi 50 grain Vmax ammo. It runs about $95 for 200 rounds. I was hoping to try a little heavier bullet, but these group 1/2 inch in my 527 carbine, and a Ruger 77.

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:04:27 AM »
Most folks don't think much of FMJ ammo when it comes to achieving small groups.  Quite often someone will say they use the Hornady 55 grain FMJ bullets with some powder or other and the response usually is to try the 55 grain hornady soft points as they will group better than the same weight FMJ bullets.

If you don't reload the best solution would be to buy a boxes of different brands/bullet weights/styles of bullets and head to the range to see what shoots best in your rifles.

I've heard some people say they can shoot up to 75 grain bullets in their 1 turn in 9" barrels and others will say that 69 grain is as heavy as they can go and maintain bullet stability/group size.

Barrel fouling?  Isn't that one of the characteristics of a .223?  I remember when I got my first on back in 1981 or 82, a Rem. M700 Varmint Special.  It took three times as long to get the barrel clean as it did for my M1A or one of the 30.06 rifles.  I finally just accepted that the smaller the bore the dirtier the barrel got.

I haven't see the AR15's be any better in that category (just talking barrel here, nothing gets as dirty in the receiver/bolt area as an AR15).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »
My 527 FS with a 1:12 barrel does OK with the AE 55gr FMJ. Under 1" with one flier in a 5 shot group. I'm not convinced the flier is the rifles, or ammo's fault. I'd probably follow M1A's advice, or try some round with a Sierra Match King.

I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Floridashooter

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
I run a snake through the barrel every time, after each shooting session.
All I have tried so far is standard Federal and American eagle ammo,which does well in my buddies Axis. If they do not respond to Sierra match king,or Hornady American gunner,I give up.All my rifles do well with those.
I was also thinking about glass bedding the actions.I have good a buddy who is great at it and willing.My 550 American groups under 1/2" at 100 after we did it.But,it was shooting good groups out the box before we bedded it too!

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
I run a snake through the barrel every time, after each shooting session.

Based on your symptoms, I would think you have a pretty fouled bore.

Boresnakes don't do well on heavily deposited copper.  They are fine for light carbon buildup, but you need a copper removing solvent to really get a clean bore.

I would suggest:

1. Deep cleaning the barrel with a copper removing solvent.  You'll know all the copper is out when the patches don't turn blue.  You may end up with forearms that look like Popeye's, but the gun will never group with heavily deposited copper in it.
2. Re-checking the torque on the rings.  If you have access to a torque wrench, it will be all the better.
3. Use better ammo.  I have never had what I would consider a decent group with surplus FMJ's.  The Federal Premium Sierra Matchkings you listed should produce a decent group.

If all else fails, go ahead and bed the action.  It won't hurt anything, and almost always makes some improvement.

Offline staggsofdryvalley

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »
one of the best things about the 223 is also one the worst , the variety of ammo and their intended function or the ability to function in non bolt action guns .

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »
My 527 is a Varmint in 223 with 1:12 twist. I get to shoot maybe 2-3 times a year because my shooting property is 220 miles away. Even my 55 year old eyes can put rounds consistently in a 1 1/2 inch circle at 220m (say 230 yards) from a rest (car door) because that's the kill zone of the vermin I'm shooting at. Your American should do much better than 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. My buddies and I put a bunch 330ml water bottles at 220m and we have a race to see who knocks over the most.  My CZ in .223, brother with Howa in .223 and old friend with Annie in .22H. After sighting in it is usually one shot per bottle as fast as we can work the bolts and reload but the fella with the Hornet does have to hold over quite a bit. Have to say, for the price I am very impressed with the accuracy from the Howa but I'd never admit it to my brother... it does, however, have a truly awful trigger compared to my CZ but I'd never tell him to get it worked on as he just might shade me...

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:24:47 AM »
Just revisiting this and I hope you've been able to resolve the issues. You say you have owned two CZ527s and both have the same issue. That suggests to me it is probably not the rifles but rather something in the way they are set up - trigger, scope, mounts, bedding etc.
I suggest you visit a reputable gunsmith (if you can find one) to look over the rifle/s and check the basics - including crown and headspace along with scope mounting and stock screws etc. Also a thorough cleaning - were they new rifles? Did you follow a "break in" procedure (I know many think it is bogus but I do it anyway - whether it helps or not I can't say but it makes me content I've done everything to give the barrel the best chance to show its potential)
You say you've had experienced shooters shoot them with the same results so that suggests it's not your technique. If the rifles check out OK i'm at a loss to explain it.
In my limited experience with three only CZs - 452, 527 and 550 - I'd be very disappointed with 1.5in at 100m  :-\

Offline painter

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 06:38:13 AM »
I think he should try some heavier ammo...69 or 75gr.

but not the ability.

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »
Agree Painter, mine shoots 55gr fine but it's 1:12.
Faster twist will prefer heavier projectiles.

Offline painter

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »
A member of another forum went through the same thing with 55gr in his CZ 527 with a 1:9 twist. It really didn't like 55gr projectiles. I think he's shooting 75gr SMK's.

If the OP would like I can ask.

Edit...

I asked the other gentleman where he ended up.

He's gotten his best results with Fiocchi 62gr at .5 moa. He added that everything else he used up to 75gr performed very well with results dropping off over that weight.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:20:48 AM by painter »

but not the ability.

Offline Floridashooter

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 03:10:46 PM »
Both rifles were bought new in 2014  and have Leupold 4-12x40 Rifleman scopes.Have not put over 100 rds through either one.And I always run a boresnake through all my rifle barrels after every range trip.
I called CZ customer service and they are having me send them back,one at a time,so they can check them out.I am waiting for the pre paid box to arrive.Average turnover time is 2-6 weeks.I will let you guys know what transpires.
In the meantime,I am going to order a variety of bullets that were recommended.I am not giving up on these rifles.All my other CZ's shoot great.I am determined to get good results.

Offline bravo5two

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
I seriously doubt you have fouling issue...AE and other FMJ just plain sux if you're trying to shoot groups.  Sierra Blitzkings in 55 gr are what I go to for match loading. You can get similar results to hand load with ADI Outback here http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-outback/200-round-case-223-adi-outback-55-grain-sierra-blitz-king-ammo-aob223sbk  This ammo is consistent and I recommend buy the entire 200 rds case (to assure they all come from the same lot).

Offline Floridashooter

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 04:29:11 AM »
I sent both CZ American rifles back to Cz and recieved factory new replacements in around 10 days.Sold both on GB for six beans each and bought a 527 thumbhole varmint and a 527 Euro varmint.Both in .223.
Mounted Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42 scopes on them with my old CZ mounts and laser sighted them in.Got the Euro varmint out to the range today,
I shot 40 rds of 55g Am Eagle through it then switch to Hornady Am Gunner 55g(my favorite plinking round).The groups were around 1/2"@100yrds.
All in all I am much happier with the varmint model than the American,since I only benchrest shoot anymore.The American model would be beter in the field for hunting.
Anyway,I had a busy day out here and did not get a chance to shoot any further or get to sight in the Thumbhole varmint.Maybe next week.