Author Topic: Gun range management.  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Mike -

Re: Gun range management.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
What Hawker800 said.

Let the management know exactly what you told us here.  Then go back out and have fun
Hopefully the management will square things away.
The guy could have been having a bad day...we all have them.  On the other hand, we are talking weapons of mass destruction, on the OTHER hand...he could have well just been a d!ck.

Mike

Offline dominic135

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »
I want to thank all of you for your input. I did send an e-mail to the range and am awaiting a response. Like most of your opinions, I don't want one incident to tarnish the work of so many helpful people I have encountered here. TSI is a new group in an area in dire need of a safe place to shoot. There is nothing else within 30 miles of my home with the exception of one skeet club that only allows rimfire ammunition. It is an odd situation in a southern state. We have a very hi-tech industry here which may be reflected by our limited choice of ranges.
I commented on this range almost a year ago regarding our first impressions of this team. My 30 year old is in a wheel chair and while we were filling out membership forms, his 100psi tire tube popped sounding just like a rim fire round inside the show room. There were a good 200 people there that day with at least 80 of them in the showroom at that moment. I saw about one third of them put their hands on their CCW's but no one pulled a weapon. I said it was the safest I have ever felt, having all those people ready for action. I still feel that way.
Another point I'd like to make is for handicap shooters. TSI is the only range in the area that is set up for wheelchair shooters! There is plenty of handicap parking, wide access doors and in each of the 3 bays, one aisle is set up with wheelchair accessible controls.

Offline sigken

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »
I understand your concern and your honesty to admit to the mistake. But if I were you, I would've just told the girl to explain/re-iterate everything to him rather than say "Nothing" and look away. I do think that's a little rude of you although you had no intention to do so. That would've probably pissed off the guy :)

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 06:24:56 PM »
I understand your concern and your honesty to admit to the mistake. But if I were you, I would've just told the girl to explain/re-iterate everything to him rather than say "Nothing" and look away. I do think that's a little rude of you although you had no intention to do so. That would've probably pissed off the guy :)
Interesting perspective...Not sure I see how saying "nothing" and looking away is being rude. Would you mind elaborating?

Offline sigken

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
Interesting perspective...Not sure I see how saying "nothing" and looking away is being rude. Would you mind elaborating?

Obviously there was something so the female RO had to talk to the OP. If the RO was a supervisor for the shift, he would have probably needed to know what was going on. By saying "nothing" when there was something, the OP effectively dismissed his presence which would make him, well, act that way.

I am not a RO, but I can understand why the RO did what he did. 

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »

Obviously there was something so the female RO had to talk to the OP. If the RO was a supervisor for the shift, he would have probably needed to know what was going on. By saying "nothing" when there was something, the OP effectively dismissed his presence which would make him, well, act that way.

I am not a RO, but I can understand why the RO did what he did.
If he needed to know what was going on, he could have/should have asked his subordinate. If Dominic is representing the situation accurately, the female RO had things under control. Replying nothing and looking away is the opposite of confrontational. As it was, things were escalated for little or no reason. Either way, this is just opinion based on speculation. Thanks for helping me understand your perspective.

Offline the attack dog

Gun range management.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 09:18:48 PM »
I know range safety is very important. Casing your firearm at the line seems a little extreme to me. I have been a member at my club for more than 6 years now. We don't have that extreme of a rule. We unload and lock the action open before leaving the line. Even at the indoor range I used to shoot at it was the same way. The indoor range did not allow loading your magazine behind the stall only at the bench.  $600 seems way to high of a price. My club is outdoor and is covered. We have trap, skeet, 4 pistol ranges, a 300 yard rifle range, a 50 yard rifle range, an indoor cowboy fast draw (wax bullets) range and 2 archery ranges.  My cost is $200 a year.  If It were me they price you pay would make me look elsewhere.  Even if I had to drive further.  If I were you,  I'd go check out some of the other places and see if you like them better. Besides you said the ammo costs more, the store is more expensive and the transfers were more. Sounds to me like a rip off and I live in the fascist state of Kalifornia.  Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dominic135

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 05:32:35 PM »
A week later and I still haven't had a response. I saw that the e-mail went to the sales department and obviously, the message wasn't forwarded. There is no e-mail address for management.
One of the last guys thought my saying nothing was a bit dismissive. I really didn't think of it that way but maybe because he was interrupting, it may have come out that way. Like I said I'm hard of hearing on top of the head set and really have to concentrate on what is being said. I was being dismissive but I thought he was asking me what the problem was and being instructed is not a problem for me. My reply "Nothing" simply meant there wasn't a problem, but he was distracting me from the RO. Maybe he just got done with someone who was rude. It was a Saturday and the place was jumping. Though as one responder said, you don't get confrontational with a man who has a loaded gun! Thanks again for the input guys.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »
1 week and no response? That's a no go from me. I'd start looking for another range.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »
Have you called to ask a manager if the email had been received and read? Some business emails get read whenever someone happens to walk past a computer! Don't ask me how I know....
gentlemen and ladies, lets let this situation resolve with no acrimony from us, any more, very interested in what the response might be from this range. Also, handicapped accessible ranges do present some unique challenges, so finding one that does it right, (the indoor range I worked at did NOT do it right, but we tried), is worth keeping if possible.

Offline the attack dog

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
I'd write one nasty letter and mail it to them.   It just goes to show you that they do not care about their customers and are only interested in making money.  My club isn't like that at all. Are you sure there isn't another private club in your area?  Not a public range a private club.

Offline CzDave

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
I live locally here. Sounds like RO needed to prove to female what a man he was.

600$ a year for that place is a joke. So many other outdoor places around here where you do not have to put up with that crap. And, a few indoor as well.

I encourage you to immediately get on the waitlist for the DPRC (durham pistol and rifle club). It will take a few years and be completely worth the wait.

In the meantime, have a look at Woodys, Frontline defense, Central Carolina Gun Club, Carolina Guns and Gear Range, and others. They are far cheaper and much better options for shooting, Imo. This area is a Mecca for shooting and there are many other options available.

Just my opinion. Also, check out Carolina Firearms Forum for more local stuff.

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 02:38:06 AM »
Calling a phone line during an Am meeting and leaving a message for the man will get you a fairly quick reply. Email is secondary to anything I can think of. I'll get a letter that catches more of my attention than an email. But a phone call could be the solve all. I don't know why this much time has passed and there hasn't even been a second contact from the op, and they just didn't reply to an email in the sales department. Need a direct company email. Call them. Verbally tell them what you'd like to happen. Meeting, cup of coffee or a donut or something. Let them know you're not looking for trouble, just a solution.

Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

SailDesign

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
I would not let one RO with a bad attitude ruin the enjoyment of your range. RO's have to deal with some messed up stuff, so i never mind them being sharp and to the point and even a little in my face but intentionally rude is different. It is a thin line in some cases. If the RO is always like that i cannot imagine him lasting too long at a nice range like yours (i looked at some pictures of the range online).
Sorry, that doesnt fly.  One RO was already dealing with the situation.  No overt belligerence  was noted in the OP.  The second RO was so completely out of line that the 1st RO should have put him in his place. Crosstalk among ROs is never Ok.  The range was still hot and the 2nd RO left his post to interfere with the first RO doing her job.  Write him up, period.

Yup - that.  No questions.

anything