Author Topic: Witness recoil springs.  (Read 1439 times)

dhoyle

Witness recoil springs.
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:48:44 AM »
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain heavy recoil springs for my 10mm Witness Compact?  The people at Wolff told me that they aren't available from them.

Offline spsowell

Witness recoil springs.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 07:07:02 PM »
Wolff told me the same thing on my compact 9mm conversion (with the two spring configuration).  I asked them if I could substitute a single spring of theirs, they told me "yes, but we can't reccomend a specific one".  I was told all their R&D is on hold due to massive gov't orders right now.

It will be the same in your case.  You could probably shorten one of Wolff's standard length ones and it would work.  At least be better than the stock EAA, but you wouldn't be able to determine the exact poundage.

Looks like we will have to do our own R&D on these for now.

Offline ReloaderFred

Witness recoil springs.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 08:59:10 AM »
Wolff makes springs for the compact Witness in all the regular weights, but they don't list one for the 10mm compact.  I bought a calibration pac of compact springs and use a 20# compact spring in my compact 10mm Witness.

There is a formula for determing how much spring you can use for a specific purpose.  You have to measure the available space for the spring with the slide fully retracted.  Then you measure the diameter of the spring you intend to use and multiply that by the number of coils to determine how much space the compressed spring is going to require.  This is called "spring stack".  If there is enough room for the compressed spring in the fully retracted slide, then you can use it.  If there isn't, then the spring, slide and frame will all be battered during recoil.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs