Author Topic: Firearms terms or phrases that make you cringe  (Read 16163 times)

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Re: Firearms terms or phrases that make you cringe
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2017, 06:06:24 PM »
Gas pedal? What was it referring to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A thumb rest, for the thumbly challenged  ;D
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2017, 06:22:12 PM »
That's it!  I remember the video now, it was tdogg describing his new CZ that he won on this Forum and he used the term "gas pedal". 

I've been around guns a long time and this was the first time I'd ever heard the term "gas pedal" used for a thumb rest.  ;D

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2017, 09:25:04 PM »
Been shooting for almost 60 years and yet to hear a few of these terms you've listed

I do use "run / running"
"I run XYZ Ammo thru my _________ "
"I'm running ABC Grips on my (name one)"
Don't get the issue with that one

"Tactical"
There is a world of difference in a "Tactical" Scope, as opposed to a "Hunting" Scope
Those that don't know the difference, chances are, have the wrong Scope on their "Sniper" (yeah, an over used term) Rifle

"Automatic" along with "Assault" are over / misused terms

Yeah, using the term Clip and Magazine interchangeably does bug me

Also, using the term "Pistol" when referring to a Revolver bugs me too
And yes, I know the difference

Someone telling me that the Chambers for the .223 rem and the 5.56 NATO are the same
Or the Chambers for the .308 win and the 7.62 NATO are the same, scares the b-jesus
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline Tok36

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2017, 10:51:04 PM »
Been shooting for almost 60 years and yet to hear a few of these terms you've listed

I do use "run / running"
"I run XYZ Ammo thru my _________ "
"I'm running ABC Grips on my (name one)"
Don't get the issue with that one

"Tactical"
There is a world of difference in a "Tactical" Scope, as opposed to a "Hunting" Scope
Those that don't know the difference, chances are, have the wrong Scope on their "Sniper" (yeah, an over used term) Rifle

"Automatic" along with "Assault" are over / misused terms

Yeah, using the term Clip and Magazine interchangeably does bug me

Also, using the term "Pistol" when referring to a Revolver bugs me too
And yes, I know the difference

Someone telling me that the Chambers for the .223 rem and the 5.56 NATO are the same
Or the Chambers for the .308 win and the 7.62 NATO are the same, scares the b-jesus

A revolver is not a pistol? Also what dose the part that i put in bold mean? For clarity i am not arguing, this is the first time i have heard it come up.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline cntrydawwwg

Firearms terms or phrases that make you cringe
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2017, 11:36:28 PM »
It's always been my understanding that a revolver is a revolver, and a pistol is a pistol. Both of which are in the handgun family.
   Although the word pistol dates clear back to when all they had were black powder "pistols". I think once the semiauto,(and auto) pistols came out, it became its own subset.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:41:49 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline FireMoose

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:14 AM »
I have more of an issue with the folks who freak out over 'clip' being misused. Everyone knew what they meant, explain the difference and move on or just move on.

Nothing really comes to mind that irks me. Guess I prefer foregrip to forearm...

Offline tattooo

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »
I still don't get the issue with the term running either but to each his own....sounds better than I've got or using IMO

Offline tim.garoutte

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2017, 12:28:31 PM »
I don't know why it bothers me, but it does when someone says they just "picked up" a new gun. Like was it just laying somewhere on the ground and you found it and "picked it up" so with possession being 9/10s of the law it is now yours?  Or did you simply BUY that new mammer jammer? Flame suit on as I see this all the time on the multiple gun forums I frequent and am sure I'm the oddball on this one.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »
"Pill" when talking about a bullet for reloading.

That one really gets under my skin !   :P
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
Firearms terms or phrases that make you cringe
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
I know what it refers to. So everyone else knows what a gas pedal is, why the anger towards the reference? Curious. To hear the thought behind it.

I mean, as a motorsports guy, I know that there is no car that has a left side gas pedal. The gas is on the right. Now if someone called it a clutch pedal or a brake pedal it would make more sense in that depending on your handedness left handed or right handed you'd have a clutch or a gas pedal on your pistol. But then, what about the people who can't drive stick but are still right hand dominant? So there's a whole group that only uses brake pedals, but by putting the brakes on it means you're gonna have to slow down. So do the lefties have a one up on us righties now? Do the lefties who actually have a gas pedal get to one up the righties finally? I mean, ambi controls have been around long enough for the lefties to kinda catch up to the righties, but by adding a gas pedal to a lefty's does that mean they're running the better splits?

Laughing as I'm writing this edit. Pffft

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:34:44 PM by srREXed »
Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2017, 04:12:14 PM »
I know what it refers to. So everyone else knows what a gas pedal is, why the anger towards the reference? Curious. To hear the thought behind it.

I mean, as a motorsports guy, I know that there is no car that has a left side gas pedal. The gas is on the right. Now if someone called it a clutch pedal or a brake pedal it would make more sense in that depending on your handedness left handed or right handed you'd have a clutch or a gas pedal on your pistol. But then, what about the people who can't drive stick but are still right hand dominant? So there's a whole group that only uses brake pedals, but by putting the brakes on it means you're gonna have to slow down. So do the lefties have a one up on us righties now? Do the lefties who actually have a gas pedal get to one up the righties finally? I mean, ambi controls have been around long enough for the lefties to kinda catch up to the righties, but by adding a gas pedal to a lefty's does that mean they're running the better splits?

So who is angry?

As far as the rest of your post  ::)?????

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »
Those folks that can't drive a stick shift car are likely running their striker fired automatics (auto LOADERS) pedal to metal, LOL.  I love the older cars that still reveal pavement under the hood and I love the hammer!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:16:17 PM by Tyerone »

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »

Let's be cool. This thread is for fun, not for getting upset. No one is angry about anyone else's little 'eccentricities'.

Offline srREXed

• Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:07 PM »
This isn't anger bud, it's just jokin around. Did anyone think what I wrote needs a description? Easy does it there. You guys need a guide to sarcasm or somethin... Just tryin to spin a ridiculous peeve. We all got them right?

Wife: Is it broken?
Me: No.
Wife: Then why does it need to be fixed?
Me: I knew you wouldn't understand.
Me: You're way smarter than I am babe.
Wife: Ok, so if it's not broken and not fixed, what exactly is it?
Me: It's taking time Hun. Just taking some time.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »
This isn't anger bud, it's just jokin around. Did anyone think what I wrote needs a description? Easy does it there. You guys need a guide to sarcasm or somethin... Just tryin to spin a ridiculous peeve. We all got them right?

Conveying your meaning through text is not easy, consider that before posting...everyone.